Opening up a Santander bank account

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
MrDuck

Opening up a Santander bank account

Post by MrDuck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi, I know this is yet another banking question but hopefully someone has some info....

Has anyone ever transferred an European (UK?) Santander bank account to Chile? Is that possible...?

I have my definitive residence here for a while and I approached Banco Chile (wife's bank) to open an account but was turned down because my work contract is not in Chile. Presented my english contract with a couple of years of payslips, property's in my name etc and the Banco Chile executive even called the department that opens accounts to explain my situation but no joy.

Maybe transferring a Santander account to here could work? (HSBC Chile advised me to do exactly this but then pulled out of Chile for back accounts)

Or looking for a simple Chilean work contract...

Thanks in advance!

at46

Re: Opening up a Santander bank account

Post by at46 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 pm

MrDuck wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:21 pm
Has anyone ever transferred an European (UK?) Santander bank account to Chile? Is that possible...?
I heard that question asked before about Santander and also about Scotiabank, and the answer is no. Although Scotia is more lenient towards at least some Canadians it seems in opening a current account for them without much history in the country.

I would just keep trying all the banks, and I'd go to their branches in the rich comunas. Your situation sounds pretty bulletproof so it's just a matter of a little push I think.

But out of curiosity - why do you need a Chilean current account at all? Does the Bancoestado RUT account with a 2 million limit not suffice?

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 pm

at46 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 pm
MrDuck wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:21 pm
I heard that question asked before about Santander and also about Scotiabank, and the answer is no. Although Scotia is more lenient towards at least some Canadians it seems in opening a current account for them without much history in the country.

I would just keep trying all the banks, and I'd go to their branches in the rich comunas. Your situation sounds pretty bulletproof so it's just a matter of a little push I think.

But out of curiosity - why do you need a Chilean current account at all? Does the Bancoestado RUT account with a 2 million limit not suffice?
CuentaRUT has a limit of 3 million these days just as an FYI.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 am

Are you declaring taxes in chile on your foreign income?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MrDuck

Post by MrDuck » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for your input everyone, seems I'll need to do some more asking around and hopefully get lucky... Had hoped the bank would be understanding as I'm zero risk.

@at46, want to build up some banking history here and in the future buy another property with a local mortgage. Unless you don't need a banking history here with a good deposit and applying for a mortgage???

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:52 pm

Transferring is not usually the way to go as far as I know - I think the banks in each country operate fairly separately. This is based on a bit of personal experience and guesswork but not much.

To get with the banks in Chile I think you need some evidence of in-country activity especially earning a salary in the country. If you declare taxes on your foreign income you may be able to use that to get a mortgage, that is why the above question.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

MrDuck

Post by MrDuck » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

@Britkid, I thought it was a fairly slim chance to transfer one across hence the question here, a shame HSBC pulled out because it was them that told me to do it that way.

The taxes route might be the way forward like you and others have said... Anyway, it good to get the advice.

Cheers all

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:42 pm

MrDuck wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:54 pm
@at46, want to build up some banking history here and in the future buy another property with a local mortgage. Unless you don't need a banking history here with a good deposit and applying for a mortgage???
Maybe talk to an independent financial advisor, there may be non-banking mortgage options.