Depositing a check at a bank

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
salian

Depositing a check at a bank

Post by salian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:24 pm

I have a current account at Scotiabank and so does my Chilean landlord. I want to pay my rent by check, directly at the bank instead of visiting him halfway across town. What are my options to deposit a cheque in his name?

1. Back home I could drop the cheque into a drop-box alongside any 24-hour ATM. Does something similar exist here?
2. Scotiabank seems to shut at 2 pm every day, which is rather inconvenient really.
3. I am hesitant to visit the bank because I'm not fond of interacting with staff using my weak Spanish.

Can someone please list the available options for depositing cheques into a third party's account?

Also as an aside, the local way of crossing cheques leaves two pen-drawn lines over what I thought would be the MICR digits at the bottom of the cheque, is that okay to do or does it affect the cheque?

Thanks!

dmwbmw2

Re: Depositing a check at a bank

Post by dmwbmw2 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 pm

You can do web transfers even to Cuenta Vistas or Cuenta RUT.

Setting up access to your account via web is easy, the recipient doesnt even need web access.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 pm

You can always skip the check (although with rent, often nice to have a clear record) and make a cash deposit by taking money out of your account and depositing it in his account.

Online transfer is probably your best way to go. Then you have a record of the transfer from your account to his account, should there ever a question about if you made the payment.

I sure know If my bank every refuses someone that wants to deposit money in my account, I will be looking for a new bank the next day.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

salian

Post by salian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Unfortunately the bank mis-spelled my email address when creating my account, and since they send a key to the email address for every online transaction, I am SOL right now for online transactions until that gets fixed. I guess there's no getting around a visit to the branch.

Thanks though, great forum, been lurking unregistered for a few months now.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 pm

There is a complete tutorial on writing cheques in Chile. I will private message it to you.

Once you have the cheque written you fill in the deposit slip and take cheque and deposit slip to the teller.No need to say anything.

passport

Post by passport » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Donnybrook, I'm interested in that check-writing tutorial too. If you don't want to post it or a link, can you PM me as well? Thanks

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Done

passport

Post by passport » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 am

Great thanks

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Does anyone here know if those check-crossing lines are ok to use on a "cashier’s check issued by Banco de Chile drawn on a U.S. Bank"? I had to send one yesterday with DHL, to renew my passport. And the girl at DHL wouldn't allow me to do it, unless I drew those lines. I found a website that talks about those lines, but it doesn't say anything about checks drawn on US banks. Thanks.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:22 pm

U.s. check = U.s. law.

Tell the ignorant dhl girl it does not mean the same thing. We use "for deposit only" bla, bla, bla.

Now that said, i dont think crossing lines across a u.s. check does anything (people scribble cartoons on checks).

Common law, it is all about the intent. Unless someone challenges it as fraudulant, the computers will process it.

Back when i was travelling a lot, I use "forge" my father's checks, he use to forge my name on my checks, both of us use to scribble "power of attorney" and sign our own name on the other's account, even though no written poa existed beyond a verbial authorization. Never in all the years of spray painting our checks with various legal garbage to get it by the girl at the bank counter, did anyone ever choke on one of or checks. Sometimes they would get pretty messy iwth endorments to endorsments, to third party checks, while one of us was 3000 miles away.

So, as long as the computer can still read it, it should be fine.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:27 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:22 pm
U.s. check = U.s. law.

Tell the ignorant dhl girl it does not mean the same thing. We use "for deposit only" bla, bla, bla.

Now that said, i dont think crossing lines across a u.s. check does anything (people scribble cartoons on checks).

Common law, it is all about the intent. Unless someone challenges it as fraudulant, the computers will process it.

Back when i was travelling a lot, I use "forge" my father's checks, he use to forge my name on my checks, both of us use to scribble "power of attorney" and sign our own name on the other's account, even though no written poa existed beyond a verbial authorization. Never in all the years of spray painting our checks with various legal garbage to get it by the girl at the bank counter, did anyone ever choke on one of or checks. Sometimes they would get pretty messy iwth endorments to endorsments, to third party checks, while one of us was 3000 miles away.

So, as long as the computer can still read it, it should be fine.
Thanks, that makes sense. The bank will probably just ignore them, especially since its only $110 USD, and there should be no question about intent. And the computer should still be able to read it. I had never even heard of crossing checks before this, so I had no idea what the girl was trying to tell me.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin