CuentaRUT will now have a chip VISA debit card

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

CuentaRUT will now have a chip VISA debit card

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:47 am

Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: CuentaRUT will now have a chip VISA debit card

Post by admin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 pm

think it was Banco de Chile that just limited the number of transfers per day to like 600,000 pesos to Banco estado cuenta RUTs because the high level of scams involving those accounts. Seems mostly the "Tio" type scams.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Would you care to expand on this "Tio" scam, admin? I couldn't find anything Chile-related online on reliable sources.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Operates under various stories: you get a call, it is a "relative" (with a very real imitated voice) involved in a traffic accident or arrested and needs money ASAP (like send it right now) or a much graver situation or consequence is about to occur; or like what happened to my wife who got a call from a voice indistinguishable from her older daughter that she and baby son were being held hostage but this did not proceed further because the daughter showed up at her apartment shortly after the initial call and a neighbor was notified and went out looking for her.

Many of the callers supposedly operate out of the local prison but it is obvious with the help of outsiders who probably need no scammer in the joint for help. In the case of my stepdaughter, I believe the colectivo driver was in on it as he knew her and baby as regular clients and that she would not be answering her phone in the minutes that the transfer was occuring.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm

I have received all of them so am somewhat of an expert!

1. Someone phones up and says "Hola, tía! This is your favourite nephew.". The idea is that you then say, "Enrique?" (example). Now they have a name and can store it for later use in scams. There are different ways they get hold of a name but I have had this one at least 5 times. I have never given a name. Nanas are more vulnerable to this. Las Condes runs courses for nanas every year to alert them to the dangers.

2. You get a phone call from a "policeman" who tells you your husband (wife, daughter, uncle etc) is at the police station and he/she needs cash to pay off the family of someone they have hit with their car. If you fall for this you will sometimes be asked to buy minutes/bolsas for a phone, need to take cash somewhere or collect up valuables from the house and take them somewhere. I have had this one using my husband's name and I simply asked for his RUT number, which they could not provide. Since he was in the house at the time (office hours) there was no danger for falling for this one.

3. Someone calls up to say you have won a prize. In my case it was "Jumbo". Since I did not sound excited I kept getting more prizes added on until it got quite funny. He did ask which was my nearest Jumbo (where I would pick up my many prizes) which reassured me that all he had was a phone number and the scam was not specifically aimed at me.This was a few years ago and I can't remember what he wanted, maybe minutes/bolsa on a phone.

All these were calls to the landline. I have never had one on my mobile phone. Perhaps they have gone out of style now. I haven't had one for 4 years. Maybe I am on a blacklist!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm
All these were calls to the landline. I have never had one on my mobile phone.
Thats because most land line owners don't have Caller ID as it costs extra. The scammers can pretend to be anyone they want with no way of checking. And they can get the associated address right out the phone book, targeting affluent neighborhoods during work hours when often just the nana is in the home.

Google News shows its still pretty common.

I get these calls. The Tíos mostly use similar stories, so now I just put them on hold to use up their minutes.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 am

Yea they got me on the line once, and i just started laughing at them. The more they talked the more i laughed at them, until they hung up.

Come on, i lived in las vegas years ago. They invented the phone scam, and pretty much every other scam. These guys are super ameture, but they still work in chile.

I have seen why it works. Chileans will not hang up on anyone because they think it is rude. Not a telemarketer. Not an obvious con artist. They will just keep on talking and talking to them.

They can not scam you, if they can not communicate with you. Just hang up. Dont even say "si" or anything else, when they ask you questions because recording you voice for consent is another scam.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:25 am

My father was the best at dealing with the phone scams. Once they started talking he would set the phone down, and go make coffe. He would stop back every so often to do a "hmmm, hmm" to keep them talking.

Phone scammers and telemarketers depend on volume of calls, and waisting their time is pretty good way to get put on a no-call list.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:46 am

Except when they are competently imitating the voice of someone you know. We are immune from those in Chile just because of the English language skills needed for that. With a Chilean, they could have them on the line for a little bit or taking multiple urgent calls as the story unfolds and only at the point about money, instant Chile transfer, unfamiliar account, etc. would the warning signs begin going off.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:47 am
http://www.soychile.cl/Santiago/Socieda ... stado.aspx

ALSO FOR INTERNACIONAL USE!!!
FYI: From the Chilean trinity related to the Citigroup (B. Edwards, B de Chile, B. Credichile), the last one is mostly dealing with the middle to lower income groups. They offer "Cuenta Chile" acct., that has a zero opening fee, zero maintenance costs, has no requirements related to your income, is a "cuenta vista" similar to the BE CuentaRUT with the exception that it has no maximum amount to keep. It has a Chip VISA debit card, good for international use. When first discovered them -- I thought "too good to be true". Yet, it WAS true. Long before the recent BE announcement -- this CrediChile account existed. Try it. Ask for a "transactional" version of the "Cuenta Chile" at B. CrediChile.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:47 am
http://www.soychile.cl/Santiago/Socieda ... stado.aspx

ALSO FOR INTERNACIONAL USE!!!
FYI: From the Chilean trinity related to the Citigroup (B. Edwards, B de Chile, B. Credichile), the last one is mostly dealing with the middle to lower income groups. They offer "Cuenta Chile" acct., that has a zero opening fee, zero maintenance costs, has no requirements related to your income, is a "cuenta vista" similar to the BE CuentaRUT with the exception that it has no maximum amount to keep. It has a Chip VISA debit card, good for international use. When first discovered them -- I thought "too good to be true". Yet, it WAS true. Long before the recent BE announcement -- this CrediChile account existed. Try it. Ask for a "transactional" version of the "Cuenta Chile" at B. CrediChile.
Damn, someone not only replied to the topic ON TOPIC but responded with arguably superior info!

Thanks my Eastern Friend!!

--eeuunikkeiexpat