First Chilean job offer

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
nikotromus

First Chilean job offer

Post by nikotromus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 pm

1.500.000 pesos a month - straight cash. I can live like a king now...

FrankPintor

Re: First Chilean job offer

Post by FrankPintor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 pm
1.500.000 pesos a month - straight cash. I can live like a king now...
Good Lord, what will you do with all those pesos? :D

What will you be doing, if you don't mind my asking?
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 pm

lol, well, being a millionaire on a monthly basis was tempting, but I had to turn all those pesos down. The position was a security analyst. Which, doesn't match my skill set at all, but I think its all they had for me. The recruiter called me back after I turned it down and asked if it was the position or the salary. I replied the salary. Then he asked how much I wanted. I told him it wasn't worth negotiating. Its kind of like if you sell a house for 200k and someone offers you 120. You dont counter that.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 pm

The offer reaffirms what I have come to learn and understand here. If you're not retired and drawing SS or a pension, start your own business, work remotely or go home.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Oops, yes, not much point in negotiating. The highest permanent employee salary I heard of any of my acquaintances getting in Chile was USD6k per month in mobile telecoms as a senior RF engineer (10+ years experience) doing network optimisation. But telecoms is a small world and there has been a lot of pressure on salaries (and consultant rates) over the past few years.

My first offer was 1.8 Megapesos, I was kind of tempted, just to get started in Chile but meh...
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 pm

The low salaries would totally make sense if the cost of living was low but it's the opposite. Nothing makes sense here. Welcome to Chile.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 am

Well-paid jobs here are jealously guarded and are only available to insiders, its a closed shop.
Who you are is more important than what you do, however good you are at it, there is no meritocracy, only pitutocracy.

As to the Own Business scenario, there are many areas, especially technical ones, with opportunities. For example I am going to install Z-Wave Home Automation in my place. I doubt that there are more than one or two outfits doing that in Chile. But I wouldn't dream of trying to make a living from it even though a potential market definitely exists among the young, affluent gadget-mad cuicos living around the Santiago area.
Après moi, le déluge

manivel43

Post by manivel43 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 am

I have got an offer for about 1.2 mil pesos a month for salary.
Do you think, it is a good salary to take up the offer in Santiago, chile ?

Housing and all have to be borne by me.
No allowances whatsoever.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed May 02, 2018 10:47 am

manivel43 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 am

It depends on so many things. Might be OK if you are single and no kids (no school fees). If you had to keep a family on it, no. Depends how old you are and whether this is the start of your working life or not. Health insurance is pricier the older you get. Young, single and adventurous - willing to try something new and not really bothered if it doesn't work out i.e. you don't have to burn all your bridges to get here, then maybe.

bow26

Post by bow26 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Is that gross or net of tax/health/pension deductions?

Depends how/where you wanna live and what you are used to... For me I would say not enough, but then i have 2 kids I would also need to pay for schooling with out of that money, rent an apartment somewhere half decent, not going to be enough for that!

manivel43

Post by manivel43 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 am

Donnybrook wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:47 am
manivel43 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 am

It depends on so many things. Might be OK if you are single and no kids (no school fees). If you had to keep a family on it, no. Depends how old you are and whether this is the start of your working life or not. Health insurance is pricier the older you get. Young, single and adventurous - willing to try something new and not really bothered if it doesn't work out i.e. you don't have to burn all your bridges to get here, then maybe.
Thanks for your reply mate. I am married with no kids yet. it is just me and my wife moving over to Santiago in 2-3 months. we both are in our early 30s now. we have to rent, find a transport (may be a second hand car), travel around within south America here and there, phone line, internet line and food are the expenses i guess. May i also know, how much will the best insurance coverage cost for single person ? Like, it covers everything related to hospitalization.

manivel43

Post by manivel43 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:44 am

bow26 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:06 pm
Is that gross or net of tax/health/pension deductions?

Depends how/where you wanna live and what you are used to... For me I would say not enough, but then i have 2 kids I would also need to pay for schooling with out of that money, rent an apartment somewhere half decent, not going to be enough for that!
Hi mate, it is my gross salary. i have decided to live in Santiago, but not really have zeroed into any particular town in Santiago. will be helpful, if you guys can give me an idea of the places to settle in for a year or two.. i am going there to setup an IT business. so, your ideas might enlighten me to an extend, i guess. i am looking for a decent apartment in a decent environment. I heard, santiago is safe. how much do you think a 2 room apartment in such a place would cost, for rent ?