Chile is currently second in number of tourists for South America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
tiagoabner

Chile is currently second in number of tourists for South America

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Source: https://www.publimetro.cl/cl/noticias/2 ... erica.html

In short: Chile is expected to receive roughly the same number of tourists Brazil received last year, and that is considering the Olympics. Even if Chile's growth rate is lower next year, it should surpass Brazil.

In my opinion, having a much better infrastructure and lower murder rate (600 per year, versus Brazil's 60000 per year) and crime rate are really paying dividends for Chile.

GringoVikingo

Re: Chile is currently second in number of tourists for South America

Post by GringoVikingo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Here is a web-site to compare countryes, link Chile v/s USA
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf ... ates/Crime

Even I have some strugle, " I love Chile more and more"
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

mem

Post by mem » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Reading those stats, it looks at the high level like is pretty close..."USSA only 17% more crime" but to me that is so incredibly misleading
We still read about people being shot in our somewhat small city of 90,000 in the US at a Taco Bell but that never happens at the Papas Fritas stand round these parts lol

I just dont understand the "fear of violent hate crime". Really? Is this the same Chile I have been living in?? They define this as "worries being subject to a physical attack because of your skin colour, ethnic origin or religion". Did the BLM come into Chile and I missed it or what?

It seems to me the primary crime here are Chilean ninja banditos and petty theft...the latter generally being drunk or distracted tourists not paying attention. I suppose it might be different in the big cities...haven't spent more than a few weeks continuously in a place like Santiago. Only time I was ever concerned was changing mucho mucho plata at the famous cambio street in Santiago...but then I had read some lonely planet stuff saying that the bandits watch the gringos come in and then trail them when they come out. I just tried to not leave the cambio until I saw an empty taxi stopped in traffic out front and made a beeline.

I had at first gone to a cambio at costanera center like an idiot thinking APMEX is APMEX...and the guy at the exchange straight up told me, I shouldnt change money with him and that I should go downtown for the best rates. I was pretty shocked...guess he is not working on commission lol
I still don't understand why that happened exactly to me and not every customer waiting in that APMEX costanera center line. Maybe he just figured I had the time to burn to take a taxi downtown to a seedy part of Santiago. He was right though, I had the time and it made a HUGE difference

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 pm

All these ratings are bullshit. I made a post about one of these "researches" before.

According to what I'm reading and hearing in the last years, 99.9% of the world population outside of South America have no clue what Chile is as a country. Foreign press write fantasy tales about Chile, interns doing researches spew bullshit numbers, people in general can't say how Chile is different from Colombia – I've got questions about drug cartels more than once.

I think OECD ratings are the only ones that have any value.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Well. Most are from Argentina and a lot of them just come for the shopping...

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:32 pm

scandinavian wrote:Well. Most are from Argentina and a lot of them just come for the shopping...
The parking in the mall in Temuco on weekends is literally 80% Argentinian car numbers.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Space Cat wrote:
scandinavian wrote:Well. Most are from Argentina and a lot of them just come for the shopping...
The parking in the mall in Temuco on weekends is literally 80% Argentinian car numbers.
I don't know why...the mall in Temuco is not exactly awesome, but maybe they are all first timers lol. Of course it might just be me still bitter...awhile back was craving some KFC...well actually I was craving Popeyes, but hadn't had any of either in almost 3 years. I tried the KFC at Temuco mall...had these high idealistic hopes, absence making my heart grow so fond of idealized memories and then...ughhhhhhh. I don't know what they are doing there but the Colonel would be appalled. Its almost inedible....nothing and I mean absolutely nothing like the KFC in the USSA....and even the KFC in the USSA is not that great. So that is saying something. Best I could figure is that they reuse this nasty deplorable corn oil over and over and over again and then they scorch it over super high heat and then still feel cooking chicken in that is a good idea. Just this rancid oil taste. I think a Popeyes franchise down here could clean up. Add a drive thru and their socks will be knocked off

Anyway...just strange that Argentinians are going to Temuco so much. Seems like they should just go to Buenos Aires or go the distance and do Santiago.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Argies also mobbed the San Antonio Arauco Mall and other department stores in town this past summer. Probably mainly Medocinos or around those parts given the geographic access. The Argies will cross where most convenient and buy stuff in Chile at the nearest large commercial point from the north to the south

Our critic from Peru probably has not been to Argieassland and does not know what "high cost" (also known as inflation) in the southern cone means.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 pm

This "tourism" is mostly Argentinians shopping for things that are very expensive at home. Santiago gets them via paso Los Libertadores, in Osorno, they come over via Puyehue, and here in Serena we will see the same thing in the Summer when the Agua Negra pass opens. This prolonged shopping spree is hurting the Argentinian retail sector, so I guess sooner or later the customs/currency restrictions will return in some form.

Everything that comes out of SERNATUR is absolute bs, they inflate the visitor figures to boost their status within the government, in the hopes of obtaining a bigger budget, more personnel, bigger salaries, more trips to international trade fairs for the fortunate few etc. etc. The business of SERNATUR is SERNATUR, not tourism. If they produce any benefit to the public or to the tourist industry at all, its mostly by accident.

For the past few years, apart for Argentinians, we have seen a steady reduction in foreign visitors. And Haitians are the other exception. Since they often come in on tourist visas, they are probably included in the "statistics" as well.
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Good to see you posting again fraggle092.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Good to see you posting again fraggle092.
Thanks. I was in lurk mode for a while :)
Après moi, le déluge