Rejected Payments

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
HybridAmbassador

Re: Rejected Payments

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat May 06, 2017 3:39 pm

I pay my credit card entire bill at the end of each month, most of banks for my credit cards let me enable connection via internet from my Lap Top, except a bank that always gives me: oops we are not available at this time. When calling that bank's representative, she says the system is OK and running perfectly. Oh ? Then talked to technical rep, he said he can not see me..? I had my VPN on whilst trying to connect with that particular bank. Do you guys pay your credit card online for your balance payoffs? If so, do you use VPN for your internet ? have you ever encountered problem connecting due to incognitos visibility? Just curious...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat May 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Yes, I pay off my US cards online but do not use a VPN so less hops and no questionable anonymity to flag on the bank's security side.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

T_ROBO

Post by T_ROBO » Sun May 07, 2017 7:57 am

When I came here, I never had any problem charging with my US credit cards. However, as soon as they installed the wireless devices, they rejected the US credit cards (mine, others as I observed in restaurants and shopping malls).

My guess is that the wireless devices that they used to swipe the credit cards can detect that the cards are from other countries (the first few digits in a card will tell the type of card and where it was issued), and the default setting is to automatically reject them. Most merchants did not bother to reconfigure their devices. However, in Santiago they seem to know of this problem and many upscale hotels and restaurants reconfigured their wireless devices accordingly.

TP

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun May 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Interesting topic, as far as I know, most of the handheld card terminals use GPRS, these networks have been around in Chile since almost 20 years (Entel launched GSM in 1998). The technology is rock solid, any bugs have been ironed out by now, and since it was the first "proper" mobile technology to be deployed in Chile it's available almost everywhere... but it's slow: 200ms latency if I recall, so by the time your payment information gets to the network, routed to your card processor, and an answer gets back to the card terminal, quite some time has gone by, maybe enough to time out the transaction and reject it.

Then you have problems with the credit/debit card dilemma, some cards say they're debit cards but need to be entered in the terminal as credit cards. Then it seems to me that some banks have times when their servers are offline or doing something, this used to happen regularly to me in ATMs in Las Condes, I just learned not to go before 11am. Here in Ecuador, Sundays are bad. And hiring a car is almost impossible, I don't know what the car-hire companies do but I have huge problems getting the hold authorised.

By the way, what are the card terminals called in Chile? This is another of the words, like popcorn, that randomly change from country to country - in Venezuela it's a "punto", in Colombia a "datáfono".
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm

FrankPintor wrote: By the way, what are the card terminals called in Chile? This is another of the words, like popcorn, that randomly change from country to country - in Venezuela it's a "punto", in Colombia a "datáfono".
I've always just heard them referred to as "lectores" by the waiters although they might as well just add "con propina incluida" to the name.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost." Zack de la Rocha
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon May 08, 2017 11:32 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
FrankPintor wrote: By the way, what are the card terminals called in Chile? This is another of the words, like popcorn, that randomly change from country to country - in Venezuela it's a "punto", in Colombia a "datáfono".
I've always just heard them referred to as "lectores" by the waiters although they might as well just add "con propina incluida" to the name.
:D

Popcorn, by the way can be palomitas, cancha, canguil, crispetas, or cotufas, depending on where you are in LatAm.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:31 am

I left Chile for several weeks in May and went to several countries outside Latin America and used my cards many times and had not a single issue. However, now that I have returned to Chile, I have already had at least three rejections since I've been back, out of about 10 uses or more. One of them actually appeared on the credit card list of transactions online but then was shown again immediately refunded , I guess something like that is a communication issue as discussed above.

In one case, I got a message like "Invalid M Key" or something like that (can't remember exactly) and it happened instantly as I pressed the green button after PIN entry. I sometimes think some merchants don't know how to handle foreign cards so have selected some option wrong but if so I can never figure out what it could be. At most, I think this would account for a minority of failures.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Still, I am having this issue constantly. About 50% of all my in-person card transactions are rejected.I tend to try 3 times with 2 separate cards then pay in cash after 3 consective failures (which probably happens about 10% of the time).

It's not specific to certain cards, and it's not specific to certain locations and I have now had hundreds of rejections. it started early this year and has been fairly cosntant throughout the year. I am a bit surprised that more people are not reporting this on the forum?
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:16 pm

I didn't have issues when paying with cards thus far, except for that 1% of the cases where there was clearly a communication issue on the machine's side (IE. 1 minute processing time, then failure). In fact, since I had issues in other cases (mostly online, and with some ATMs), I tested each one of my cards for physical & online purchases as well as online purchases. I'm currently facing no physical purchase issues as of right now.

For your reference, the cards I tested were: Community Federal Savings Bank (USA, credit & debit), Wirecard (Germany, debit), Barclays (UK, credit & debit), Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (Japan, debit), 上海富友支付服务有限公司 (Shanghai Fu Bank, China, debit) and Bradesco (Brazil, credit & debit).

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm

We only received a Chip and Pin terminal a few months ago, and with foreign cards the terminal was locking up instead of requesting the PIN after reading the chip.
In our case the problem wasn't the Terminal, or the users bank account, or the network, it was due to our businesses "profile", which needed updating. At least that's what the Transbank Technician told me after three visits and two replacement terminals. Chances are that foreign card transactions are so infrequent in most places that businesses wouldn't bother reporting the problem.

I had to use my UK Visa card to show him the problem. He only came after numerous calls to Customer Service got them to escalate my complaint to a higher priority.

Incidentally, sometimes Transbank call the unit a "pos". Its that as well, but that derives from being part of a POS (Point of Sale) system.

Also, terminal owners have very little control over what the machines can actually do. They are provisioned from Transbank's servers for hopefully obvious reasons.
Après moi, le déluge