Vina & China

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Space Cat

Re: Vina & China

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:31 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I still like the fact that Chile never developed the expat promotion / scam / investment / IL / escape artist aura like so many places in Central and northern South America and the Caribe. Of course there was the temporary attention from the Simon Blacks, Galt type retreats, C obin and other quick high cash promoter types and even the repeatable libertarian tragedy that was GG. But they seem to have fallen off the radar in the past couple of years, TG. :alien:
Thanks to all these mediocre looking cold beaches. It doesn't look escaping-from-it-all enough.

You can't take a cool "paradise" photo with a fresh coconut near your laptop – only with a completo and a quiltro pack asking for it.

Also almost no old buildings, everything is made to sustain an earthquake and not for fancy looks. Again – no photos to post online.

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:54 am

Deleted.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 am

Bargain Hunter wrote: Do you have any kind of evidence you can link to that shows tsunamis are a genuine threat in the major coastal cities of Chile? Also can one get quality insurance for this?
:roll: ummm Feb 2010, a large part of the central/Southern coast

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:24 am

MJSaywell wrote:
Bargain Hunter wrote: Do you have any kind of evidence you can link to that shows tsunamis are a genuine threat in the major coastal cities of Chile? Also can one get quality insurance for this?
:roll: ummm Feb 2010
:roll: ummm Sept 2015 also, up north that time, these are pretty basic things, fresh in most people's minds, you are asking for evidence? :roll: Do you even Chile Bro?

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:46 am

Bargain Hunter wrote:Jamie_m the whole point of a forum like this is to be a source of information. If the answer to everything is "why are you asking here? Do your own homework?" what is the point of the forum then? Its pretty woeful that a country like Chile which is in the OECD does not have (not just All Chile other forums too) a decent online property investors forum in English.
Chileans generally do not invest like say kiwis or Aussies or USA folk in property. The only Chilean property investors I know are this that are involved with apartments, buying dozens and dozens of apartments in Santiago and renting them out.
The rest are generally the big fish not you're average Joe like you might see in other OECD countries, they are the ones that can throw down the cash or get financing (think Bachalets son) generally banks are not going to lend to the average Chilean to buy a spec property, so you have to be very well off to start with. The most the average Chilean may do is buy a couple of Parcelas either out on the coast or down south, generally not with the aim of profiting from it but to tell their friends they have a Parcela. Sometimes through luck they might do ok and make a bit of a gain but it's certainly not a planned strategy by said Chilean. They may also buy an apartment on the coast they rent out and think they are an investor. So yeah I'm not sure what else to tell you and many others have said there is not a property investing culture here, yes they are in the OECD, and Santiago looks nice and modern in some parts ( other parts it could be called barely developing) but that show of wealth may give you a false impression of the country. There is a lot of money from mining and investments from the huge pool of investment money from Chileans pensions which brings a lot of finance related industry, they are also doing some other goods things but it's concentrated in a very small segment of the population.
A lot of people are not interested in property investing, a few make a bit of a hobby out of it, but nothing like Aussies, where every man and his dog has a crack at flipping houses and it works due to financing from banks and because there are more eager buyers. Here for the vast majority of people you are lucky if people move 2 or 3 times in their lifetime, and a bank won't lend if you don't have good cash flow already. As for expats investment, everyone likes to spin the eastern suburbs of Santiago and farmland somewhere in the central valley. I would disagree with that in 2017.

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:25 am

Deleted.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:38 am

Mate you want everything spoonfed to you don't you? Not gunna happen. If you're that keen to unload your 100k, why don't you come over here for 89 days and find all your answers. If someone comes up with 2 examples thats 2 more than you got. If people seem sarcastic thats usually because they think you're a dick. By the way, 100k is nowhere near enough to make a solid investment in this country.

MJSaywell

Post by MJSaywell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:44 am

Bargain Hunter wrote:MJSaywell just giving two anecdotal examples does not suffice, as I would imagine not all coastal cities are at the same level of Tsunami risk. My point was that you made a bit of an off the cuff remark, the coast of Chile covers a huge area.
actually now I know you are just wasting my time, and won't be commenting further in anything you say. I don't know wether to feel sorry for you, or think you are just a dick, either way good luck trying to make you fortune with that 100k bud.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:56 am

MJSaywell wrote:
Bargain Hunter wrote:MJSaywell just giving two anecdotal examples does not suffice, as I would imagine not all coastal cities are at the same level of Tsunami risk. My point was that you made a bit of an off the cuff remark, the coast of Chile covers a huge area.
actually now I know you are just wasting my time, and won't be commenting further in anything you say. I don't know wether to feel sorry for you, or think you are just a dick, either way good luck trying to make you fortune with that 100k bud.
We are still reading, so it wasn't a wasted effort.

But yeah, I think it's ok to safely ignore BH questions at this point – everything that doesn't feed his confirmation bias is a sarcastic remark and anecdotal experience.

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:19 am

Deleted.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:35 am

MJSaywell wrote:
WHEWWW!... MJSawell, finally you have come to your senses! All this going back and forth with nonsense questions says it all....has never been in the country, doesn't know the culture, has no knowledge of the language, has no intentions of ever visiting Chile even less to buy property. Totally clueless and "not a pot to piss". It's written on the wall....You could see it, smell it and taste the bullshit and whatever he writes is just that....bullshit pure and simple. So, go away Bargain Hunter and come back when you grow up.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Deleted.