Vina & China

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
mem

Re: Vina & China

Post by mem » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:38 am

Hey, no need to wonder. Admin's favorite place for real estate in all of Chile and even perhaps the world is....wait for it....Pucon!
Baahahahahaa, I couldn't resist. It's late and I am a bit punchy

On a more serious note....at least compared to above. I get why people, not just here, but all over the world love to buy real estate on the coasts. However, unless it's a short term investment (less then 18-24 months) where you plan to seriously rehab/flip it quick, I would never LT invest anyway on the coast in Chile.

In fact anything within 20K of a coast is a show stopper for me. Chile may do all it can to build EQ resistant structures, but none of that matters when it comes to water. Water is hands down the single most powerful element on earth. A subduction induced tsunami will eat those modern EQ structures for breakfast and have the leftovers for lunch.

Would much prefer to invest farther inland and at higher elevation, generally east of the main 5 highway as a rule of thumb

That being said I think about land investment here in two categories.

1)Urban/Semi-Urban (Probably a no brainer)
I actually think the higher elevations of Eastern Santiago, I.E La Dehesa, El Arrayan, Barnachea....would be smart investments. I would not invest anywhere else in Santiago...dead serious. The eastern/high elevation areas are high enough up that they are generally above the smoggy haze of Santiago proper as well as any subduction tsunami risk or even torrential flooding, you can rent them and/or resell them. You are well away from the congestion of Santiago proper, but still totally accessible. Of course the cost of entry to these areas is higher, but its hard to go wrong in these areas as long as you can afford to invest in them.

2)Rural/Semi-Rural
Farmland with solid hectarage for crops or livestock. Definitely less up front to get into (compared to #1 above) and I think most if not all agricultural land is property tax exempt (an important consideration). I think some good places, again east of the 5 and at reasonable elevation:
-Pinto
-Santa Barbara,
-San Clemente,
-Linares,
-Curacautin

Of course making sure you don't get taken on the deal is quite a bit harder with some rural areas. Lots more pit falls that can make your investment end up pearshaped if you aren't considering every angle.

If you have more time than money, go the inland farmland route. If you have more money than time, go the eastern Santiago route.

If you have plenty of time and money then do both.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:57 am

Yea, Pucon is not even a place that comes to mind when someone asks where to buy property in Chile.

That is a 'how long is a piece of string' sort of question. I could spend a pile of time giving a long list, and the reasons for each, and it still would not be very helpful as everyone has their own preferences in real estate.

I quit recommending specific real estate to people a long time ago. Besides, the best properties, and the best places in Chile, I am simply not sharing with anyone; because if it is that good, I would buy it first. Even in those locations, I got a long waiting list of close friends and family looking to buy, and waiting on us to pass along the super secret deals we rejected for our own portfolio of properties. So, my left-overs from real estate hunting to recommend to the general public would probably be something like that swamp land a meter below sea level I seen last year (it was near a nice beach however, and it will definitely be beachfront someday as the sea-level rises).

It is a big country, you need to visit, and hunt from the property. Your not going to find it online. Even something that is theoretically nice on paper, when you visit it, you can see that a few km one way or the other, and sometimes a few meters one way or the other, can be the difference between a good deal vs a dog.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:07 am

Deleted.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:01 am

Bargain Hunter wrote:
While AllChile has a little bit of real estate info, the real estate related sub-forum is very underdeveloped considering you are one of the major expat forums for Chile. It would add a lot of value to the forums to have more real estate information and it is perhaps something you should look at developing more.
So you can do even less of your own homework? Even your recent stock market question, I'm pretty sure you can find the answers yourself, I just did and I'm an idiot :)

Bargain Hunter

Post by Bargain Hunter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:43 am

Deleted.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 am

There you go, plonk your 100k into that :)

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 pm

A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Bargain Hunter wrote:While AllChile has a little bit of real estate info, the real estate related sub-forum is very underdeveloped considering you are one of the major expat forums for Chile. It would add a lot of value to the forums to have more real estate information and it is perhaps something you should look at developing more.
While I'm speaking for myself, I think some other forum members can hold the similar view.

I believe we here don't need this sort of "development" – hundreds of "bargain hunters" bubbling up the market while living overseas and denying locals from buying property.

We need folks who can actually live and contribute to their communities – money, skills, or just a good friendly vibe. Your hawkish attitude (especially towards women, ugh) multiplied by unwillingness to do your own research makes people defensive or outright hostile.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Bargain Hunter wrote:While AllChile has a little bit of real estate info, the real estate related sub-forum is very underdeveloped considering you are one of the major expat forums for Chile. It would add a lot of value to the forums to have more real estate information and it is perhaps something you should look at developing more.
While I'm speaking for myself, I think some other forum members can hold the similar view.

I believe we here don't need this sort of "development" – hundreds of "bargain hunters" bubbling up the market while leaving overseas and denying locals from buying property.

We need folks who can actually live and contribute to their communities – money, skills, or just a good friendly vibe. Your hawkish attitude (especially towards women, ugh) multiplied by unwillingness to do your own research makes people defensive or outright hostile.
AWWWWWWWWWW.....music to my ears! I never thought I would agree with you more!! :alien:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Gloria wrote:AWWWWWWWWWW.....music to my ears! I never thought I would agree with you more!! :alien:
Thanks. :) I feel like most of Southern-born and transplants I know have this attitude. Maybe it's what brings people down here in the first place.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Could not agree more Space Cat....

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I still like the fact that Chile never developed the expat promotion / scam / investment / IL / escape artist aura like so many places in Central and northern South America and the Caribe. Of course there was the temporary attention from the Simon Blacks, Galt type retreats, C obin and other quick high cash promoter types and even the repeatable libertarian tragedy that was GG. But they seem to have fallen off the radar in the past couple of years, TG. :alien:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat