Transferring money

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
at46

Re: Transferring money

Post by at46 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 am

Britkid wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm
So is Schwab charging the middle rate? I assume this is a North American card provider, I don't think they are available in the UK where I'm from, so I doubt I'd be able to get the card.
I'm pretty sure no withdrawal fee Schwab cards are available only to US residents.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:47 pm

at46 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 am
Britkid wrote:
So is Schwab charging the middle rate? I assume this is a North American card provider, I don't think they are available in the UK where I'm from, so I doubt I'd be able to get the card.
I'm pretty sure no withdrawal fee Schwab cards are available only to US residents.
Schwab has an international account, that doesn't require you to be a US resident. I'm not sure, but I don't think you have to be a US citizen either.
https://international.schwab.com/public ... country=CI

And that account probably includes the ATM card, but you can call them to make sure. Keep in mind that it's a brokerage account though, and they'll probably close it if you just use it like a bank account.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:28 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:47 pm
at46 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 am
Britkid wrote:
Schwab has an international account, that doesn't require you to be a US resident. I'm not sure, but I don't think you have to be a US citizen either.
https://international.schwab.com/public ... country=CI

And that account probably includes the ATM card, but you can call them to make sure. Keep in mind that it's a brokerage account though, and they'll probably close it if you just use it like a bank account.
Says you need to maintain a USD 25K minimum on that account, which is a bit too much, imo, for someone looking to do no fee withdrawals in Chile :)

PaltaConPollo

Post by PaltaConPollo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:40 am

For any UK expats living in Chile, the app-only Starling Bank is a good option if you want a current account with no ATM or transaction fees. I use mine for day-to-day expenses and withdrawing cash from ScotiaBank ATMs with no withdrawal fees and a near-perfect exchange rate, its available to anyone with a UK passport.