The Shining Star That Once Was Chile

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: The Shining Star That Once Was Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:26 am

Thanks Fugger.

I find it enlightening that no one else appreciated the input from you or Donnybrook.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Re: Anyone living here during the 1998-2000 time period?

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:04 am

Fugger wrote:The willingness to stomach a economical crisis without too much protestation was probably bigger than these days.
Bit of gentle understatement there.....
Après moi, le déluge

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:18 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Thanks Fugger.

I find it enlightening that no one else appreciated the input from you or Donnybrook.
I appreciated their insightful input, and should have indicated so. It's good to get the perspective from people who actually lived in Chile during those downturn periods.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:03 pm

El Lechero wrote:Exactly admin. Where is the doom and gloom exactly? I love seeing all the activity going on in the economy. It (the negativity)starts to become a self fulfiling prophecy all this talk from those with an agenda or other motives is totally at odds with what i am seeing on the ground and talking to others. No one seems at all negative.
Things were go-go in the US until mid 2008. Everyone was oblivious to the economy and most thought everything was ok, goods were being transported, there was seemingly a lot of activity. Underneath the economy was already in dire shape. It's easy to look back on hindsight or even look in a crystal ball to the future but much more difficult to see current situation and see the reality of it.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Yep, looks are deceiving. So the last time Chile had a real "feelable" downturn was late late 90's perhaps early early 2000s. So 14 years of "good" times, expanding social spending, spread of marvelous tech items to the masses, growth of consumer credit-autos, second homes, TVs, vacations in Brasil, etc., and an entire generation of youngsters who have never "felt" an economic recession and resulting hardship. But Chile appears to be in better shape than other places, only 16-17 million people, could be self-sufficient in many food items if really necessary, could trade food for energy and other stuff I suppose if UNASUR, MERCOSUR and other blocs are for real, could be a part of a new currency system if based on commodities. The minus is that at the first sign of the tiniest pain, there will be mass strikes, protests, etc. as that is what Chileans are used to doing having been trained well during the many good years.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:43 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:... growth of consumer credit-autos, second homes, TVs, vacations in Brasil, etc., ...
Plenty of material enrichment, not so much in the intellectual department.
If people stopped being able to afford to run those autos tunneados with their awful bramadores, invariably misaligned high intensity headlights, and sound systems that only produce subsonic farts, I wouldn't be sorry.
Après moi, le déluge

john

Post by john » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:18 pm

fraggle092 wrote: Plenty of material enrichment, not so much in the intellectual department.
If people stopped being able to afford to run those autos tunneados with their awful bramadores, invariably misaligned high intensity headlights, and sound systems that only produce subsonic farts, I wouldn't be sorry.
Could be talking about most anyplace in the SouthWest USA. :wink:

!!!AUTOS TUNEADOS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ZuYxQteCo
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:32 pm

If things were all go go in the states till mid 08 people
must of been living in lala land. Anyway i still dont buy into the doom and gloom everyone seems to be spewing out re the chilean economy but thats just me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Someone made an interesting point the other day, about the Panama canal expansion. It is suppose to cut the cost of Chilean and Pacific alliance coast goods transportation by half or more. Currently Chile, along with the other countries on the pacific coast of of south america are at a disadvantage in exporting to certain markets because of the costs of transportation. Places like the Eastern U.S., Europe, africa, middles east perhaps. All things being equal, the cost of transporting costs more. That is about to fixed a lot as bigger boats and more frequent boats are able to move the goods. Hopefully that also means cost of imported goods in to the country come down.

The thing that people overlook with the pacific alliance and Chile is, Chile is the only one in that group, and really much of the rest of South America that is not a corrupt political mess.

Chiles best days are still ahead. Chile has the chance to truly be the Switzerland of South America (if they ever got their foreign bank b.s. fixed).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:15 am

El Lechero wrote:If things were all go go in the states till mid 08 people
must of been living in lala land. Anyway i still dont buy into the doom and gloom everyone seems to be spewing out re the chilean economy but thats just me.
People were living in LaLa land. That's part of the bubble mentality. They become blind to real signs and focus on what confirms their dreamy state.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:55 am

So? You are saying people are or are not deluded now? The sky is falling so everyone lets panic when things are not that bad or lets pretend its all ok when its not. Im saying its not as bad as what people say it is as opposed to the gringos in 08 that thought it was all good when clearly it wasnt (which was pretty effing obvious from 07 with all the foreclosures going on) i dont remember the stats now but it was big numbers ,the writting was on the wall in at least the last half of 07

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:07 pm

El Lechero wrote:So? You are saying people are or are not deluded now? The sky is falling so everyone lets panic when things are not that bad or lets pretend its all ok when its not. Im saying its not as bad as what people say it is as
Its a delusion is to think that the conditions of the now will last forever.
The mini boom you are seeing in the South is due to the weakening CLP which is finally allowing agricultural exports to become competitive again, imho a much healthier situation than just relying on minerals exports to the exclusion of everything else. The peso weakened due to external factors.

The hope is that this government will have enough sense not mess too much with internal conditions, its the anti-business language coming from some sectors of the coalition that is disquieting. When it comes to the law, there is no distinction made between the big conglomerates that own this country and the little guy with a handful of employees. And with inflation running at 6% and growth projected at around 1.5% for this year, the timing for announcing big changes could have been better. Plus they are making a hash of arguably their most important long-term reform , ie Education, and blowing their chance to bootstrap the country out of its third world export model and mentality.
Après moi, le déluge