CuentaRUT story

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
peter

CuentaRUT story

Post by peter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 am

Got my cedula two days ago, so I went to BancoEstado today to finally open CuentaRUT

In the first branch I got lucky. No line. Really! Unfortunately, the lady gave me two bad options:
1) fill out the application on internet and you will get everything in mail within 15 days (yeah, right - I applied for Nectar card and it also said 15 days. Now it's more than month and still haven't received my Jumbo card)
2) get everything done right there in the branch, but I had to contract their life insurance for 6000 pesos - the flyer said "INCREIBLE" - It's INCREDIBLE to bet on your own death

So I asked: that life insurance is required in all the branches? there is no way around it? She acknowledged.
So I left. I didn't have 6000 pesos with me anyway.

Went to Providencia and found another branch of BancoEstado.

Got a number and waited like and hour & half. There were just like 8 people in the line, but the 2 ladies present were really slow and talkative.
Finally came my turn. First thing I asked was about the life insurance requirement. She said no, not necessary. So I asked if I have to contract anything to open the account TODAY.

She responded, I just have to contract Debit Card Fraud Insurance. I was reassured I can cancel it later. So I agreed.
It took like 10 minutes and 15 signatures and fingerprints.

Then she handed me stack of papers and told me to go get "claves" and the card at other window at the bank. It sounded it's just gonna take like a minute and that's it.

So I went around the corner. Another line. 10 people. For the first 15 minutes the same lady was at the window talking about I don't know what. This line was named "Express". After 30 minutes 2 people got processed. 8 still in the line. No numbers, so I couldn't leave.

After 30 minutes came some lady and told half of us to go upstairs because there are more windows to do this.
The lady upstairs gave me ATM pin and card after more signing and fingerprinting.
Then she indicated it's all done. I asked about online banking. She asked "You want that?"
So I got my online banking clave.
Then she indicated it's all done again.
The guy in line behind me told me I also need clave de transferencias. That's for money transfers between accounts.
Lady asked "You want that?"
So I got my clave de transferencias in exchange for more signatures.
I asked if these are all the clave I can get here? She assured me there are no more claves. Her colleague start laughing.

Next I went to line to cajas to deposit some money. It was laready after business hours so no more lines. except the teller was talking on the phone, so I had to wait anyway.

Then I went to ATM to activate my card. That was success.
Then I went to Schopdog to try the card. Worked fine.
Then I went to Juan Valdez cafe to try online banking. Almost everything didn't work.

Tried to sign up for paperless statements - ERROR, try later.
Tried to charge the ATM card so it can be used for public transportation - ERROR.
Went to Virgin Mobile website to charge my airtime on my prepaid phone. ERROR.

Then I went to CentroBIP to try to activate the card so it can be used as bip!
I was able to charge it with cash but the online charging still doesn't work. The lady there told me to go back to bank and ask there.

At this point I just went home.
So I got account and the basic stuff works, but almost everything online doesn't. Plus I got useless fraud insurance, so I will have to go there again to cancel it.

But I am happy :)

wiscondinavian

Re: CuentaRUT story

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 am

I call bullshit on requiring you to get fraud insurance. I'm going to talk to my fiance when I get home, because I'm pretty sure it's 100% illegal to say that it's mandatory. RAGE!

I did mine over the phone and the card actually came back really quick! My process was not without frustration though....

http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic8858.html

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:05 am

Should of went to BCI Nova,

also don't cancel the fraud insurance.... :) come sin handy when your card is cloned!

ctoledovera

Post by ctoledovera » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:06 pm

I suggest that if anyone wishes to get a RUT card they should go with a Chilean friend. This is one of the easiest "trámites" to do. It might take a long time - but that depends also which branch you go to and what time you go there. For your card to be working online you may have to wait a little longer. Also, it is important to get an insurance as it very common that cards get cloned and the bank replies quicker if you have an insurance (which of course shouldn´t be like that, but it is..). I am actually quite satisfied with this service. I pay all my bills online, get my wages and payments deposited by electronic transference, etc.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Question: how many here with Cuenta Vistas o Correintes hava had their card cloned? Where do you use it - supermarkets, department stores, smaller operations, restaurants? If cloned, where do you think it happened?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

gjz333

Post by gjz333 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 pm

-----------
If the good lord had intended us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates.

gjz333

Post by gjz333 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:44 pm

When I got my cuenta Rut it took less then ten minutes from when I walked in until I walked out of the bank. I was worried because it was so fast and easy.
If the good lord had intended us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates.

Southerner

Post by Southerner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:11 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Question: how many here with Cuenta Vistas o Correintes hava had their card cloned? Where do you use it - supermarkets, department stores, smaller operations, restaurants? If cloned, where do you think it happened?
I have had a checking account/Red Compra/Visa/Mastercard from Santander for about 3 years... I use the Red Compra and Visa card in major dept and grocery stores, restaurants, online (mostly from the USA), ATM's, etc and have not had any problem. Now my significant other used an ATM a few years before I came to Chile and subsequently cloned the card and they emptied the checking account account (Banco de Chile)... about 2 or 3 months later, the bank refunded 100% of the lost amount.

Saludos,
Southerner
Life in the "true" deep south!
http://jaxchile.tumblr.com/

ctoledovera

Post by ctoledovera » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:04 pm

I have a cuenta rut and I had my card cloned. I am so sure it happened in a Lider supermarket. I remembered looking round and seeing the boys that were putting the groceries in bags and finding them very shady and also thinking that the security measures to use the card were very low. About two days after my card was cloned and 400 was taken out of my account. All refunded about two months later but still shocking.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:11 pm

ctoledovera wrote:I have a cuenta rut and I had my card cloned. I am so sure it happened in a Lider supermarket. I remembered looking round and seeing the boys that were putting the groceries in bags and finding them very shady and also thinking that the security measures to use the card were very low. About two days after my card was cloned and 400 was taken out of my account. All refunded about two months later but still shocking.
Did you or did you not have the insurance?

Also, how was it cloned... did you hand them the card? or your speculating the machine was tampered with?

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:31 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:I call bullshit on requiring you to get fraud insurance. I'm going to talk to my fiance when I get home, because I'm pretty sure it's 100% illegal to say that it's mandatory. RAGE!

I did mine over the phone and the card actually came back really quick! My process was not without frustration though....

According to my fiance, no type of insurance is required for financial services (ie: CuentaRut). If someone says that you have to take out an insurance when you're trying to hire a financial service (like a credit card, CuentaRut, etc. etc), ask to talk to their manager and say "Si Uds. obligan a tomar ese tipo de seguro, quiero respaldo escrito que acredite que el seguro associado con la CuentaRut es obligatorio. Me han indicado que es ilegal ya que esta normado por la Superintendencia de Bancos e Instituciones Financieras (SBIF)."

Basically: FU, SBIF says you cant do this.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:18 pm

peter wrote:Got my cedula two days ago, so I went to BancoEstado today to finally open CuentaRUT

In the first branch I got lucky. No line. Really! Unfortunately, the lady gave me two bad options:
1) fill out the application on internet and you will get everything in mail within 15 days (yeah, right - I applied for Nectar card and it also said 15 days. Now it's more than month and still haven't received my Jumbo card)
2) get everything done right there in the branch, but I had to contract their life insurance for 6000 pesos - the flyer said "INCREIBLE" - It's INCREDIBLE to bet on your own death

So I asked: that life insurance is required in all the branches? there is no way around it? She acknowledged.
So I left. I didn't have 6000 pesos with me anyway.

Went to Providencia and found another branch of BancoEstado.

Got a number and waited like and hour & half. There were just like 8 people in the line, but the 2 ladies present were really slow and talkative.
Finally came my turn. First thing I asked was about the life insurance requirement. She said no, not necessary. So I asked if I have to contract anything to open the account TODAY.

She responded, I just have to contract Debit Card Fraud Insurance. I was reassured I can cancel it later. So I agreed.
It took like 10 minutes and 15 signatures and fingerprints.

Then she handed me stack of papers and told me to go get "claves" and the card at other window at the bank. It sounded it's just gonna take like a minute and that's it.

So I went around the corner. Another line. 10 people. For the first 15 minutes the same lady was at the window talking about I don't know what. This line was named "Express". After 30 minutes 2 people got processed. 8 still in the line. No numbers, so I couldn't leave.

After 30 minutes came some lady and told half of us to go upstairs because there are more windows to do this.
The lady upstairs gave me ATM pin and card after more signing and fingerprinting.
Then she indicated it's all done. I asked about online banking. She asked "You want that?"
So I got my online banking clave.
Then she indicated it's all done again.
The guy in line behind me told me I also need clave de transferencias. That's for money transfers between accounts.
Lady asked "You want that?"
So I got my clave de transferencias in exchange for more signatures.
I asked if these are all the clave I can get here? She assured me there are no more claves. Her colleague start laughing.

Next I went to line to cajas to deposit some money. It was laready after business hours so no more lines. except the teller was talking on the phone, so I had to wait anyway.

Then I went to ATM to activate my card. That was success.
Then I went to Schopdog to try the card. Worked fine.
Then I went to Juan Valdez cafe to try online banking. Almost everything didn't work.

Tried to sign up for paperless statements - ERROR, try later.
Tried to charge the ATM card so it can be used for public transportation - ERROR.
Went to Virgin Mobile website to charge my airtime on my prepaid phone. ERROR.

Then I went to CentroBIP to try to activate the card so it can be used as bip!
I was able to charge it with cash but the online charging still doesn't work. The lady there told me to go back to bank and ask there.

At this point I just went home.
So I got account and the basic stuff works, but almost everything online doesn't. Plus I got useless fraud insurance, so I will have to go there again to cancel it.

But I am happy :)
Hahaha sounds like it went pretty well then, Chile y Tramites you have to laugh I guess