Chilean Pesos vs US Dollar spread

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
zer0nz

Re: Chilean Pesos vs US Dollar spread

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:51 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Last summer we were in Argentina where we have family and many friends. The Chile bashing was fairly constant. It even soured a long time friendship. It has always been present but is worse now.
Hmmm, I have joined allChile.net in March of 2012 and at the same time joined a few of the the Buenos Aires Expats blog forums but never seen or read comments about bashing or anyone bad mouthing Chile. As a matter of fact: The Argie expats groups talks all good things about Chile. I never heard of any Chile bashings in the Argie forums.?? The Argie living Expats talks of how efficient the politicians of Chile runs Chilito~Land and they all wishes Argentine politicians do emulate Chile's beaurocrats thus bringing prosperity to Argentina..
argentinants bashing chileans, chileans bashing argentinians

expats from argetina want to move to chile
ones from chile know how lucky they are and dont want to leave!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:55 pm

ajoknoblauch wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:The way I described it, all that you get hit with is the percentage fee your bank charges (1% or less). xe.com tracks what the debit card companies use quite closely except on a large swing day. What money is left on the table? This is not Argentina.
We are going to have to get you a t-shirt with that on it! :D :D
I may overuse that these days with newbies but also out of spite for past Internet message board arguments I've had with pompous, arrogant Argentina lovers and defenders :mrgreen:
Preaching to the converted. Last summer we were in Argentina where we have family and many friends. The Chile bashing was fairly constant. It even soured a long time friendship. It has always been present but is worse now.
Your friends and family must be Cámpora types.
ajoknoblauch-san, What is the meaning of "Campora Types"..? Not too familiar with the Voseo language.!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

bobserb

Post by bobserb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Banco Estado is today buying $US for 466 CLP

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:33 pm

1.5%, not bad, and no other fees?, and open to all comers not just account holders? Seems there should be an additional bank gouge fee with that as I doubt they treat wires with an exchange that good.

1% or less card and anonymity still wins IMB.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:38 pm

ajoknoblauch wrote:Your friends and family must be Cámpora types.
No.

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 pm

This is a silly question. You obviously don't have an issue with carrying cash, so bring USD. There are so many reasons that changing to CLP in the US is silly, it boggles the mind. I will give you some good advice though: bring only $100 USD bills and make sure they are pristine. No marks, no tears. Be careful with the USD in AR though, as I hear dogs are sniffing for USD these days.

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

atacama78

Post by atacama78 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Last summer we were in Argentina where we have family and many friends. The Chile bashing was fairly constant. It even soured a long time friendship. It has always been present but is worse now.
You reminded me of an old joke that I heard in Chile in the early 1980s. At that time, Pinochet and Argentina's junta disputed El Canal de Beagle.

Chileno: I hear that the Portenos are selling a new type of empanada in Buenos Aires.

Otro Huevon: What's it called?

Chileno: <<Empanada de pino, Che.>> :D

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:56 pm

atacama78 wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
You reminded me of an old joke that I heard in Chile in the early 1980s. At that time, Pinochet and Argentina's junta disputed El Canal de Beagle.

Chileno: I hear that the Portenos are selling a new type of empanada in Buenos Aires.

Otro Huevon: What's it called?

Chileno: <<Empanada de pino, Che.>> :D
atacama78, I did not write that post. Stop messing around, pinche puto.! O eres un Guevon.?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:28 pm

picalena wrote:This is a silly question. You obviously don't have an issue with carrying cash, so bring USD. There are so many reasons that changing to CLP in the US is silly, it boggles the mind. I will give you some good advice though: bring only $100 USD bills and make sure they are pristine. No marks, no tears. Be careful with the USD in AR though, as I hear dogs are sniffing for USD these days.

pl
No picalena-san, I won't be bringing in US Dollars into Chile, there is no way to exchanging them at Black Market rates as favourable as in Argentina. I was merely was trying to find out if buying Chilean Pesos in the States made any sense but obviously the exchange rate as high as 10~12% is a No,No. Incidentally, if I wanted to buy JPY before travelling back home, my bank would only charge perhaps a _percent_ or so. Same as if purchasing _Euros as well. But Chilean Pesos is a taboo to acquire.! so the best way to do it favourably,like EEUU - san suggested, use the no fee Debit Cards to extract cash in Chile in Chilean Pesos..Now if talkin' of Argentina, the mighty Green backs talks..! Better yet, the Argie expats,doin' sending their Dollars via Xoom, the rate is very close to Dollar Blue cambio rate. So no need to bring US$ 100.00 crisp notes into Argentina.. I still curious as to why the foreign exchange places ran by commercial US banks, wants so much commision to buy CLP.?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:38 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:atacama78, I did not write that post. Stop messing around, pinche puto.! O eres un Guevon.?
Hahahaha Rickey-san! Wow! Se te cayó al suelo el diccionario de la lengua española??
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Sigma62Delta

Post by Sigma62Delta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Probably because it is not a regularly traded currency. I find that some currencies require a special order to obtain replacement funds for them. At any bank or currency trader special services have special costs.
Architect of Aggression

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
R Heinlein..

Sigma62Delta

Post by Sigma62Delta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Gloria wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:atacama78, I did not write that post. Stop messing around, pinche puto.! O eres un Guevon.?
Hahahaha Rickey-san! Wow! Se te cayó al suelo el diccionario de la lengua española??
Columbiano/Mexicano Espanola
Architect of Aggression

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
R Heinlein..