Accessing AFP funds from abroad

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
snobrd4life

Re: Accessing AFP funds from abroad

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:26 pm

April 20th and still "en tramite". Multiple direct messages to both the AFP and Superintendencia de Pensiones, and redes sociales have gone nowhere. The AFP responded once saying that the funds were sent, but the status still hasn't changed and money obviously never received. In typical Chilean customer service fashion, there is no way for me to reply to what was obviously a canned response.

I'm not alone, plenty of Chileans actually living in the same abyss of nonresponse from AFP Modelo. It's all a joke, and not a funny one.

In my case, I don't actually need the funds, but I want to get as much out of a poorly run service as possible. I feel for the folks in Chile that are hanging on by a thread and need funds to survive or have legitimate better capital investments to improve their lives in the long term vs a nice new car.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:26 pm
April 20th and still "en tramite". Multiple direct messages to both the AFP and Superintendencia de Pensiones, and redes sociales have gone nowhere. The AFP responded once saying that the funds were sent, but the status still hasn't changed and money obviously never received. In typical Chilean customer service fashion, there is no way for me to reply to what was obviously a canned response.

I'm not alone, plenty of Chileans actually living in the same abyss of nonresponse from AFP Modelo. It's all a joke, and not a funny one.

In my case, I don't actually need the funds, but I want to get as much out of a poorly run service as possible. I feel for the folks in Chile that are hanging on by a thread and need funds to survive or have legitimate better capital investments to improve their lives in the long term vs a nice new car.
Yeah I feel for those people too. I have AFP Modelo as well, I have not had any major issues with either withdrawal, but I also did not rush to extract $$$ as soon as the laws were passed, I waited a bit each time, plus I had them deposited into a Cuenta 2. I have made 1 withdrawal from the Cuenta 2 since, with no issues (most of it is still there though, so obviously I'm not in the same circumstances as others).

Mrcntx

Post by Mrcntx » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:38 am

I am in a similar situation. Mine has been "en proceso de pago" since 12 May. Money obviously never received. Any update on yours?
snobrd4life wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:26 pm

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:25 am

Nothing on my second and third withdrawal requests. Honestly, my expectations are low that I will ever be able to get anything done, even if I were to be in Chile and go in person, they would probably reject my expired carnet on the spot essentially leaving the rest of my funds in purgatory indefinitely, assuming it doesn't just get nationalized at some point.

Not even my Chilean wife's third withdrawal has been completed and that was initiated over a month ago. Her first two were processed together and wired in USD to US account in about 2 weeks. I can only imagine that AFP Modelo has an internal process, but that nobody in charge of it actually knows how to read. I guess you could replace the underlined with just about any institution.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am

snobrd4life wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:25 am
Nothing on my second and third withdrawal requests. Honestly, my expectations are low that I will ever be able to get anything done, even if I were to be in Chile and go in person, they would probably reject my expired carnet on the spot essentially leaving the rest of my funds in purgatory indefinitely, assuming it doesn't just get nationalized at some point.

Not even my Chilean wife's third withdrawal has been completed and that was initiated over a month ago. Her first two were processed together and wired in USD to US account in about 2 weeks. I can only imagine that AFP Modelo has an internal process, but that nobody in charge of it actually knows how to read. I guess you could replace the underlined with just about any institution.
This is the page that lists how to file a complaint against an AFP for multiple reasons, including regarding AFP withdrawals:

https://www.ips.gob.cl/servlet/internet ... -pensiones

It seems that you need a valid ID in order to do file a complaint, though, so you may be out of luck.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Mrcntx

Post by Mrcntx » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am

Not happy to hear this is still not resolved. Not surprised either

Does that mean your first withdrawal request was successfully wired to the US, though? Was your wife's successful 1st and 2nd withdrawal with Modelo too?

I tried withdrawing in 2015 with no success. I can't remember whether I was missing one of the thousand required stamps, or what, but I know the reason was something stupid. My carnet is also expired so I'm not going to waste my time and vacation days trying this in person again.
snobrd4life wrote:
Nothing on my second and third withdrawal requests.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:00 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am
snobrd4life wrote:

This is the page that lists how to file a complaint against an AFP for multiple reasons, including regarding AFP withdrawals:

https://www.ips.gob.cl/servlet/internet ... -pensiones

It seems that you need a valid ID in order to do file a complaint, though, so you may be out of luck.
I already filed 4 or 5 of those. I get a canned response from the SIP and AFP that my case will be attended to. The only time that I ever got an actual response was a 3 sentence response saying payment was sent and the complaint is closed. Of course there was no confirmation or any other traceable information. No way to actually respond and say "yeah, no". Back to the drawing board. I'm really not in the mood to put more energy into this.

Hopefully the paper trail I have will mean something someday when I eventually go back to Chile and work up the nerve to go sit down in the AFP branch and try to work it out. I figure there's a 10% chance that might work vs the 0% trying to follow the instructions online and appropriate communications channels to complain to get a solution. I don't miss this part of Chile one bit...