Buying Gold/Silver Coins

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Buying Gold/Silver Coins

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for the posts mem.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:48 pm

O.k., you see the problem with all that? Takes us back to my original post.

Gold is touted as this "currency of last resort", traded throughout history, anywhere, anytime, no government controls it (ask the Jews in Europe how that worked out for them), bla, bla, bla.

Not in Chile. You got a handful of places that will even know how to deal with it. If they do, they will probably want a premium on it. They will only accept certain sorts of coins, or gold in certain forms. Try walking in off the street with a brick in to most of those places. how about $100,000 in Eagles? Hell, you probably need to make an appointment just to trade more than a few thousand dollars, because no one wants to keep that much cash on hand. Bank transfer? Well, thought it was suppose to be anywhere anytime, good as cash. sort of defeats that purpose.

Crossing the boarders with it in any significant quantity comes down to a question of are you feeling lucky. FYI, the airport is far safer place to have to openly declare coins, than getting caught at some boarder post in the middle of nowhere with no phone line for kilometers, simply due to all the monitoring that goes on at an airport everywhere. Boarders, everywhere, are lawless zones, by definition. In Latin America, you will probably just count yourself lucky to walk away from the boarder with your life, never mind the stupid gold coins you arrived at the board with.That is a whole different conversation, just don't do it.

Do you really want the crap sitting around your house? Armed robberies, where they put a gun to the head of the residents and force them to open their safes do happen here. A couple thousand in gold would be more than sufficient to make even the honest housekeeper or worker, start to question the definition of "honest"; or, their cousin, friend, uncle, whomever they had too much pisco with last weekend. Are you really sure you managed to hide it under the rose bush out back when no one was around? Can you trust your neighbor's dog not to turn it in to chew toy?

on, and on, and on.

Way too much hassle, risk, to possibly, someday, if you are at the right place at the right time when you buy, you might be able to convert it in to something that is worth more than you payed for it, if you are at the right place and the right time when you sell it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:04 pm

So yeah, everyone has an opinion (based on a sliding scale of objective reality or not), and everyone has a different situation and story, and so everyone must decide risk/reward just like every other investment or speculation whether a small 10% insurance hedge or less or much much more. One scenario may seem stupid to you but perhaps not for another. DYODD, TINSTAAFL, always amazes me the vehemence brought out when discussing a rock.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:00 pm

of course there is the whatever makes you sleep well at night.

so that auction came in right in the middle at $59,420 u.s. or a gain of 271% , not bad.

the parcel sold for 11 million, but at the tail end of the auction. think there was like 10 bidders in total left and only 3 bidders for that property. but provided an extremely ruff estimate of property prices. I was kind of suprised there was more than one bidder at all. rural properties south of the bio bio can be really thin for action.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.