World's 10 most loved cities: #3 Santiago

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Donnybrook

Re: World's 10 most loved cities: #3 Santiago

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:37 am

patagoniax wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:... Perhaps I am wrong
Yes.
I often am.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 am

Santiago is not the worst city in the world by any stretch. I just don't think it is the best.

Put it this way. Imagine some kid came to you and told you that he had 1 year out fully paid by mom and dad, before settling down with school and life and he likly would never get another chance to travel. He asked you what were your top 10 most loved cities in the world that he should visit. Would you really put santiago on that list?

At least off the top of my head, like half would be europe, a few in n.america, and so on.

As living goes, after you have seen the rest, then santiago is a pretty good place as cities go for all kinds of reasons.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Fugger

Post by Fugger » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:09 am

Donnybrook wrote:I suppose it depends on what you need to keep you happy. I had plenty of nice scenery when we lived on the coast but a very bare cultural life. It matters to me to be able to hear good classical music live, to go to the theatre. I like having a diverse mix of friends. I also like living somewhere where not everyone knows me. I tried a small town and did not like it. Others will prefer other things. You just need to choose what suits you. No need to knock someone else's choices.
I share most of your preferences. Life brought me to Santiago and ultimately my well being depends mostly on things like family, friends and work which are not necessarily a function of the attractiveness of a city.

The single aspect which I dislike most about Santiago is its air quality and the indifference of government to do anything meaningful about it.
1531 pacta sunt servanda

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Fugger wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:I suppose it depends on what you need to keep you happy. I had plenty of nice scenery when we lived on the coast but a very bare cultural life. It matters to me to be able to hear good classical music live, to go to the theatre. I like having a diverse mix of friends. I also like living somewhere where not everyone knows me. I tried a small town and did not like it. Others will prefer other things. You just need to choose what suits you. No need to knock someone else's choices.
I share most of your preferences. Life brought me to Santiago and ultimately my well being depends mostly on things like family, friends and work which are not necessarily a function of the attractiveness of a city.

The single aspect which I dislike most about Santiago is its air quality and the indifference of government to do anything meaningful about it.
I suppose I have seen the improvements over the years. In the early 90s it was atrocious. Downtown in winter you couldn't see the next block. The first clamp down was on open fires for heating. The tighter controls on industry helped. Better buses than the old yellow clunkers also helped. Now someone has to bite the bullet and prohibit even double chamber wood burning stoves (Bosca) even if they have to subsidise heating to do it, have some sort of restriction on all cars or tariffed zones downtown. There is plenty left to do and further moves are going to be unpopular. I was wondering if Piñera's government will bring in something a bit more drastic before they leave.

Speaking of open fires, I had a friend who had a penthouse apartment on Nueva de Lyon about ten years ago. I can't remember what floor it was on but high enough to get me thinking about earthquakes. He had a huge open fireplace between the living and dining rooms. I was horrified and told him he couldn't have it. But he said that (in Providencia anyway) he could have an open fire if the apartment was above a certain floor, except on days with an alerta or pre-emergencia. He used to phone the municipality to find out if he could light his fire! It seemed totally bizarre to me, if true. Perhaps it was true then and not now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 am

Na, Santiago 10 years ago was a totally different animal. The thing that sticks in my mind the most was the yellow monsters buses spewing black exhaust and almost as much noise pollution between honking their horns, engines, and of course tires screeching as they cut in and out of traffic. Still not sure tranfiasco was that great of an improvement. More like a bandaid on a gun shot wound that had been gushing blood for decades. The highway system was also a major improvement. There use to be some pretty incredible lines of cars all day long just sitting at stop lights.

Yea, the idea is moronic that anyone within 200 km is allowed to light any fire. It is not just Santiago central, but all the way to the coast where the pollution comes from and is caught against the mountains.

That insulation and thermal windows are not enforced with a cattle prod and tear gas on every single home in the central region (the rest of the country too), is absurd political chicken little theatre that no one will even due lip service to it.

The other thing is to force all the factories out of a 200 km zone around Santiago. If you move the factories out that far, you remove not only their pollution, but push a lot of the population with them as they follow the jobs. Decentralize at least the center of the country, if you can not decentralize the entire country.

When I fly in to Santiago this time of year, my eyes start burning at around Talca to the south and you can see the start of the smog. Santiago central is just where it concentrates the most, and effects the most people per square km.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.