Best Travel Health Insurance?

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
JayDPS

Best Travel Health Insurance?

Post by JayDPS » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:17 pm

I have a flight to Chile soon, and I have most everything under control so far, but there was one thing I was wondering:

What insurance have people used while traveling to Chile?
I'm looking for something inexpensive and something that hopefully has a phone application for quick access, too.
Any hints would be appreciated as I continue my hunt for health insurance!

DLPurser

Re: Best Travel Health Insurance?

Post by DLPurser » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 am

Well I have no idea if it's the best, but I used a company called GeoBlue. They have several plans available, an app, and you can get a letter for Chile with verification of Covid coverage.

papageno

Post by papageno » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 am

DLPurser wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 am
Well I have no idea if it's the best, but I used a company called GeoBlue. They have several plans available, an app, and you can get a letter for Chile with verification of Covid coverage.
One thing to verify is whether they'll "pay on behalf " directly to the provider, or indemnify (reimburse you after you've paid the bills). Big difference! Especially as, I'm told, providers here generally expect to be paid upfront.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm

To be honest I have traveled a fair amount and I have never bought travel insurance. I assume you are from the US and if so most US health insurances should cover you down here if you have a catastrophic accident. You will have to pay then reimburse the expense when you get back to the states. That being said if you have to go to the ER for a broken arm or something similar your price out the door without insurance is roughly 400-600$ depending on the hospital or clinic used.

My personal opinion is don't get it but I am not your lawyer, accountant, or advisor.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:02 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm
To be honest I have traveled a fair amount and I have never bought travel insurance. I assume you are from the US and if so most US health insurances should cover you down here if you have a catastrophic accident. You will have to pay then reimburse the expense when you get back to the states. That being said if you have to go to the ER for a broken arm or something similar your price out the door without insurance is roughly 400-600$ depending on the hospital or clinic used.

My personal opinion is don't get it but I am not your lawyer, accountant, or advisor.
But it's currently not optional for tourists that want to visit.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 pm

vamoschile wrote:

It's also important to notice that some American health insurance companies don't cover you if you travel abroad to countries where there's currently official advice not to go to. So you actually need something that covers Covid at this time. Both WorldNomads and SafetyWing should offer this type of coverage at a decent price.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:45 pm

vamoschile wrote:

Part of the entry process for Chile now includes proof of health insurance, I assume this change to proof of vaccination in the coming months.....
It's all about the wine.