LATAM cancellations and refunds

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

LATAM cancellations and refunds

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Non-stop LATAM flights to LAX have been terminated so we have regressed twenty years back to just having the layover or stopover in Lima flights.

So it looks like I will indeed be here for the big October vote.

For those who are trying to find the hidden or not so easily found refund option, see this:

https://www.latam.com/DevolucionesLatam ... icitud.jsf

The online forums have indicated that LATAM seems to prefer transfer to a "local" bank account over say a credit card even if that was the original form of payment. Having a Chilean RUT and bank account greatly increases the odds of getting your money back from this airline in bankruptcy
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

snobrd4life

Re: LATAM cancellations and refunds

Post by snobrd4life » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 am

I spoke with a friend over the weekend that had a long-planned family trip from Miami to Argentina scheduled for last month. LATAM tried to pull the same thing about offering credit for a future flight even though the airline cancelled the flight and he was within his right to get a refund. Eventually the agent on the phone said they could refund direct to a bank account and asked for routing and account numbers. My friend said no way. He called his credit card company to dispute the charge and the original transaction was reversed immediately.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

El Presidente

Post by El Presidente » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:53 am

snobrd4life wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 am
He called his credit card company to dispute the charge and the original transaction was reversed immediately.
Imagine if things worked that way here, probably have a lot less angry people about, maybe not even an estallido social....
“We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight. We’re going to live on. We’re going to survive. Today we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE DAY.” - President Thomas J. Whitmore

paladin

Post by paladin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:50 pm

I had no problems at all in getting a refund transferred directly to my bank account. This option was very clear on Latam website. What maybe could cause confusion is that you are offered a voucher, but it clearly stated that you could use the voucher or cash it in for a refund.

GavinP

Post by GavinP » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:16 pm

As paladin says, the option is there to request a refund. A tiny bit hidden, but there! My experience was complicated by the fact that several affiliate airlines were involved in the flights so it took an inordinate amount of time to finally receive the full refunds. The main problem though was the flights were booked in January and they went through my US dollar section of the credit card, but the refund came back to my current account in pesos which by then had tanked against the dollar so I effectively lost a substantial amount.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:05 pm

Even though I filled out all the bank account info on the original online form, I was still issued a voucher with the right to exchange for cash. On that form, I decided to deposit into my US account instead since they stated the refund amount in dollars.

So night of August 5th, canceled.
August 8, issued voucher.
August 8, solicitud for cash refund.
August 19, refund shows up in bank account. And I made USD $21.25 on the deal.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard