Auto insurance options when borrowing (not renting) a car

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
minohio

Auto insurance options when borrowing (not renting) a car

Post by minohio » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:14 am

Hello,

We will be traveling to Chile from the US and borrowing a car from a local acquaintance for a few days. What is the easiest way to ensure we are covered car insurance wise? Our friend says, "No worries, you'll be fine!" but we would like something a bit more concrete than that. :)

Are there options to purchase our own insurance for 4 days for a car that a friend owns? Or is it better for the friend to add us to his insurance policy? How difficult will that be for him? If we are stopped and our friend has the required insurance for Chile, are we covered? If we get into an accident, will his insurance cover us?

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Auto insurance options when borrowing (not renting) a car

Post by admin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:41 am

4 days you are probably not going to find any company too interested in doing that.

coverage is per vehical, not driver in chile.

you need to find out what coverage your friend has now. is it minimal third party required by law, or something like full coverage?

for the most part i would not worry about it, unless your friend is loaning you their Ferrari.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

minohio

Post by minohio » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:35 pm

Thank you for the info!

Definitely not a Ferrari. :) So if the insurance is by vehicle, does this mean if I am driving and I cause an accident that the insurance would provide the same coverage as if the owner was driving?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:26 am

yep.

you could perhaps find some general travel insurance that covers driving if you wanted to be super sure.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

minohio

Post by minohio » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 am

Thank you! I appreciate the info.

Kavo

Post by Kavo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:02 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:41 am
coverage is per vehical, not driver in chile.
If coverage is by vehicle. Can a tourist visa with a Provisorio RUT (International license) buy car insurance? Or can I have an amigo take it out for me?