Paying customs duties at airport

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Spudzilla

Paying customs duties at airport

Post by Spudzilla » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Does anyone know what form of payment can be used to pay customs duties at SCL? Credit card, chilean pesos, eeuu dollars?

Spudzilla

Re: Paying customs duties at airport

Post by Spudzilla » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Surely someone has paid duties at the airport in Santiago?

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Thank you Gloria. I have not had to pay duty yet, but my luck probably wont last forever.

ctroxell

Post by ctroxell » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:05 am

My information is a bit stale --- I paid Chilean customs in 2013. At that time only cash was accepted but there was an ATM available to those who were paying the aduana. The staff were professional and helpful. That trip in 2013 is the only time I have ever had to pay any customs duties. I was assembling a computer at the time and had some parts in my carry-on suitcase.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:59 am

ctroxell wrote:My information is a bit stale --- I paid Chilean customs in 2013. At that time only cash was accepted but there was an ATM available to those who were paying the aduana. The staff were professional and helpful. That trip in 2013 is the only time I have ever had to pay any customs duties. I was assembling a computer at the time and had some parts in my carry-on suitcase.
Thats quite helpful. I have a cell phone booster I'm bringing down with me, which I will declare. Dont mind paying duty, just want to catch my connecting flight. Thanks for the info.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:59 am

unless it is the size of small truck, I don't see any reason they would care about that more than a laptop or other tech everyone walks through every day.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:10 am

3 laptops in my carryon backpack back in October and not a word or stare from the Aduanas people.

Another way to be even more sure is to arrive when they are on strike as they will just go through the motions of pretending to do their job.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

ctroxell

Post by ctroxell » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Well --- I'm not going to boast about what I may have slipped through Chilean Customs on a public forum, but missing a connecting flight will complicate your day. It is interesting what the customs officials look for. I do like the arrive while on strike strategy.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 am

Want do you mean boast and slipped through? ... as if they are going to come after you like some US IRS douches after the fact? They saw exactly what I had under X-ray and I had my story ready if they asked. 16 years and always have interesting stuff coming back from the States and if they want to bother they could but it is SAG issues that trump all which has only resulted in a cursory review of mainly the big bags.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:28 am

Speaking of SAG, any odds on their allowing bagged, roasted coffee through? Like, 10-15 pounds in 1 pound bags?

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:36 am

papageno wrote:Speaking of SAG, any odds on their allowing bagged, roasted coffee through? Like, 10-15 pounds in 1 pound bags?
I brought a couple bags with me back in 2011, and didn't have a problem. That's the last time I ever had coffee. I switched to yerba mate, and it works well enough.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:38 pm

We just came through SCL a week ago with 7 kilos of roasted coffee beans in sealed retail packaging, as we do every year. Always declare them on the form. No problems so far. I suspect the key is that the beans are roasted - same issue with nuts, they must be roasted - incinerates any possible bichos hitch-hikers! Mind you this time the SAG and aduana were on strike and simply sat in their chairs and asked the odd question to the incoming passengers passing by the scanners.