Oneworld Alliance, Latam and AA baggage scam

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Spudzilla

Oneworld Alliance, Latam and AA baggage scam

Post by Spudzilla » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Oneworld Alliance has cooked up a new baggage scam that is almost beyond belief. Starting in June 2016 the airlines are no longer obligated to route your baggage through to your final destination on ONEWORLD AIRLINES connecting flights if a passenger has two ticket reservations. That means you have to deplane in Santiago, collect your bags, pass through aduanas, and present your baggage at the counter for your connecting flight. Oh and guess what, you will pay for that extra bag on the domestic leg!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... P-JCftJe3w

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Oneworld Alliance, Latam and AA baggage scam

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:40 pm

Spudzilla wrote:Oneworld Alliance has cooked up a new baggage scam that is almost beyond belief. Starting in June 2016 the airlines are no longer obligated to route your baggage through to your final destination on ONEWORLD AIRLINES connecting flights if a passenger has two ticket reservations. That means you have to deplane in Santiago, collect your bags, pass through aduanas, and present your baggage at the counter for your connecting flight. Oh and guess what, you will pay for that extra bag on the domestic leg!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... P-JCftJe3w
To clarify, if you booked your to Chile and connecting domestic flight on a single OneWorld ticket, your baggage allowance is the same as the international sector. If you have two separate tickets, then you are SOL.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:32 am

Maybe you know about this site already, but If you'd like to know more of what the airlines are doing and are planning on doing to further inconvenience/scam you, try this forum. Think of it as the AllChile of airlines only much bigger.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airlines ... grams-374/
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:13 am

lost gringo wrote:Maybe you know about this site already, but If you'd like to know more of what the airlines are doing and are planning on doing to further inconvenience/scam you, try this forum. Think of it as the AllChile of airlines only much bigger.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airlines ... grams-374/
I am flattered by the comparison.

However, if allchile.net ever got that big, we would not be having this conversation. I would have sold at about 10% of the traffic.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:53 pm

Burned by Strict Enforcement of No Interline on LATAM to Oneworld (separate tix)
Today, 9:43 am
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-la ... e-tix.html
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:00 pm

On our last trip AA failed to communicate with LATAM and check us in for SF-Miami-Santiago, so we had a very intense run in Miami: 1:40 layover + delayed luggage claim + the huge U-shaped airport with domestic flights in one end and LATAM flights in another + last moment registration at LATAM counters and luggage check in + security check + broken belts for fast walking in the terminal.

Also AA doesn't give any food except for a bag of pretzels on 5:30 flight. LATAM gives more food and drinks on 1:30 flight to the south from Santiago.

passport

Post by passport » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Tip for MIA - just passed through with a 12-hour layover, in rough shape after a sleepless red-eye from Santiago. Started calling mid-lower priced (not bottom) hotels on tripadvisor and found only one that offers daytime stay with check in starting at 10am. Regency Hotel Miami: only $75 with free shuttle from and back to airport. Money well spent for a clean room, shower, comfortable bed and wifi. Staff attitude was excellent. Breakfast was not free for day guests but good and reasonably priced.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Just did a Frankfurt to Santiago "direct", LATAM flight.

Direct, seems to have a loose interpretation for lan. They made us deplane for a two hour layover in Madrid. Which, the Madrid airport I find about as exciting as Madrid the city. Its just a city, and it is just an airport.

The point of booking a direct flight was we were flying economy back, and just wanted to get it over with as fast as possible. Although, we did buy the front extended leg room seats, which was totally worth it. Not biz class worth it, but definitely made it sort of tolerable in a 'think I can still feel my feet sort of way'. The flight attendant leaned down to us, and said put your back pack in the isle between you and the bulk head on the floor. It will stop people from running laps in the middle of the night or trying to jump over you while you sleep. Good tip.

Reminds me of the bus drivers in the mountains of Guatemala all claiming to be "directo" to Guatemala city. Which they were, after they stopped for every little village, and for every little farmer along the road. Once they were packed, then the bus was direct.

Overall not bad.

We make a point not to do the bait and switch airline game. I pay for lan, I want to fly lan. If lan pays me, then I'll fly AA or whatever.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

proger

Post by proger » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:57 am

i dont know ive been flying with latam for a while and never had problems, mostly just the regular flight via madrid to chile, hopefully they stay good

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:08 pm

So it was get off the plane for 2 hours and you had the run of a large section of the airport, or you were contained in a small area with a toilet and a waiting room? Did you walk off at one gate and then walk back on the same gate and then back on the same plane into the same seat?

I'm assuming if it's the same plane at least the luggage stays on the plane and doesn't get offloaded, so no risk of loss.

I may have to do this route one day...

I was aware of that route but I thought it was one of those where the plane lands and you stay on the plane while people get on and off.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268