Woman dies after falling into geyser

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
john

Woman dies after falling into geyser

Post by john » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:22 pm

Tragic accident at El Tatio...

Belgian woman dies after falling into geyser during holiday in Chile
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/o ... ile-geyser
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Andres

Re: Woman dies after falling into geyser

Post by Andres » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Chile should install more geysers. It is a good way to cleanse the gene pool. I hope she didn't breed.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:28 pm

yea, we loose a tourist every now and then on the volcanoes to the unmarked vents. More than one foreigner has gone MIA while hiking the volcanoes over the years.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

john

Post by john » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Andres wrote:Chile should install more geysers. It is a good way to cleanse the gene pool. I hope she didn't breed.
Accidents can happy to anyone. Unless intended as sardonic humour, your comments are callous and heartless. :roll:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:32 am

john wrote:
Andres wrote:Chile should install more geysers. It is a good way to cleanse the gene pool. I hope she didn't breed.
Accidents can happy to anyone. Unless intended as sardonic humour, your comments are callous and heartless. :roll:
yup, but at least I don't try to control their lives, and I prefer to give them the freedom to live and die in a way of their own choosing.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:58 pm

That was someone's daughter, maybe mother, sister etc... If anyone needs to be cleansed from the gene pool is pieces of shit like you who have no sympathy or heart. Your comment is disgusting.
Living the life!

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:21 pm

That's what freedom is, the privilege and living and dying in the manner you choose.
You seem offended by the notion that someone should be responsible for their own actions and I should exude sympathy when someone dies as a result of doing something stupid which they themselves chose to do.
I did not push her or encourage her. She did it all on her own with no help or hindrance from me.

I tend to show more sympathy and regard and put more effort into aiding those whose bad circumstances are imposed upon them by others.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:42 pm

I too respect the freedoms we enjoy here, not a bunch of signs, fences and guards restricting our every move. But Andres, she had a tragic and fatal accident, we have all slipped and fallen. It is heart warming to see some of my favorite forumites, some I know well, extending their sorrow at the loss of life and the pain her loved ones now live with.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Govnmnt of Chile must deploy safety for the tourists visiting the geysers. Corral for visiting crowd or heavy roping along preventing this kind of incident taking place,visible signs warning visitors of danger of falling into the geysers etc.
Apparently by the pics shown, the onlookers are standing at the edge of steaming geyser and don't see any guard fence or ropes in front of gazing crowds.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:59 pm

not

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:11 pm

That's the trouble with making assumptions from some photograph. There are stone paths which everyone is warned to stay on. Visitors are repeatedly reminded to stay on the paths. There are low walls as well.

Accidents happen to anyone. We all have accidents, generally not fatal. We do stupid things all the time. It only takes a small distraction, a momentary lapse of common sense to put ourselves in danger. Obviously none of us pushed the woman or encouraged her to take a risk. That does not mean that we cannot be sorry that she died even if we never knew her. To suggest that she deserved to die because she was stupid, and this will help some gene pool in some way, deserves the strongest condemnation. It displays a stunning lack of empathy.

papageno

Post by papageno » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:18 pm

I'm still on thin ice myself after recent displays of bad judgement/taste, therefore reluctant to criticize anyone, but I have to go with the group here. Certainly many of us have had narrow escapes in our lives, saved only by random chance rather than skill.

To Rikki-San's point about guarding, Chile could learn something from Argentina. Iguazu Falls is a major tourist destination yet someone would have to work hard to suffer a fatal injury. Like, climbing over a railing. Sure there are differences between waterfalls and geysers, :shock: but sensible, basic precautions can still be taken.