Gas stations in BFE?

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
ExpatBob

Gas stations in BFE?

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:08 am

Planning a road trip through northern Chile and into Argentina. Wondering if anyone has done the road between San Pedro de Atacama and Jujuy, and just how far it is between fuel stations?

zer0nz

Re: Gas stations in BFE?

Post by zer0nz » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:53 am

I have not done that road, i did La Serena to San Juan, there was gas stations ....
i took a extra gas tank, however it must be empty at the time you hit the argentine border control....

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:37 am

This website is usually good for saying what is along the route:
http://www.ruta0.com/rutas_argentinas.aspx

Found this:
Quisimos cargar nafta en el surtidor al lado de la Hostería Pastos Chicos a la salida de Susques pero el muchacho que atendía estaba luchando para reparar la manguera. Por suerte hay un nuevo ACA a pocos km del lugar.

Susques used to have a sort of "suck on the hose until it flows" place to get petrol, but there appears to be an ACA nearby now. That would probably be the option. Note that taking petrol in containers across a border between Chile and Argentina is illegal, they sometimes turn a blind eye and sometimes make you empty the container.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Donnybrook wrote:Note that taking petrol in containers across a border between Chile and Argentina is illegal, they sometimes turn a blind eye and sometimes make you empty the container.
That's extremely retarded considering the barren stretches between them in the Andes, and I'd go so far as to say dangerous. But hey this is SouthAm.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Ahh, looks like there's a "Yanqui Petrol, F***ers!" station right at Paso de Jama, piece of cake.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:39 pm

ExpatBob wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:Note that taking petrol in containers across a border between Chile and Argentina is illegal, they sometimes turn a blind eye and sometimes make you empty the container.
That's extremely retarded considering the barren stretches between them in the Andes, and I'd go so far as to say dangerous. But hey this is SouthAm.
I once phoned Carabineros to ask if one could take bidones of petrol across a border with Bolivia. They said absolutely not, it was completely forbidden. So I said the route didn't seem to have any petrol stations on it, so what should I do? The answer was to take the petrol but hide it well! Now THAT is South America! :D

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:41 pm

So, officer, I wanna take bales of leafy greens across the border.
"Absolutely illegal! Just hide it and you'll be fine."

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:00 am

ExpatBob wrote:So, officer, I wanna take bales of leafy greens across the border.
"Absolutely illegal! Just hide it and you'll be fine."
:D Got it!

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:52 am

Bob,

I'll just confirm that the info you have is correct - there is a nice, clean, modern petrol station on the Argentine side of the border crossing between SPdeA and Jujuy, pretty much next door to the Argentine border control. You are no doubt aware the the border control point is some distance from the border - 40 or 50km's from memory. The control point in Chile is at SPdeA. There may have been one or two other stations along the way (in Argentina) that I didn't pay attention to because we didn't need the fuel. There is nothing in Chile until you hit SPdeA. Shouldn't really matter, as your nice modern car should get >600km per tank without any issues.

We filled up in Jujuy and drove through to SPdeA without needing to top-up. It is a long way in terms of driving time, but is very spectacular, especially the part where you drive north from Jujuy and then hang a left through Purmamarca. There were a number of nice-looking hotels in the Purmamarca area (see dodgy photo to give you a bit of an idea) - a bit north, roughly where you turn left and head for Chile, from memory.
Sept 21 2012 133.jpg
Sept 21 2012 133.jpg (57.98 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
I think if we had our time again, we would've stopped at one of these hotels, rather than driving through, as we were knackered by the time we hit SPdeA and then it took a good while to clear Aduanas - I'd been buying wine in Cafayate without giving any thought to limits on the amount I could bring in to Chile, but that's another story.

The Argentine roads are generally in very good condition, so you shouldn't have any issues there.

If you're after other tourist tips for the region, the main one I'd give is that if you are planning to drive between Salta and Jujuy, take the relatively minor road that passes to the west of Embalse Las Maderas - it shows on the map I have as Ruta 9. It is very windy, very narrow in places, but spectacular (rainforest). It takes a good couple of hours. The main road would appear to go through General Guelmes, but the road less travelled must surely be far more interesting if you have the time. Other than that, go to Cafayate if you are in that part of the world and don't mind a bit of wine...

Drive safely.