Using my Unlocked iPhone 5 in Chile on Virgin

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
jontd2001

Using my Unlocked iPhone 5 in Chile on Virgin

Post by jontd2001 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm traveling to Chile tonight. I'll be in Santiago (staying at the Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center). I'd really like to buy a nano SIM while I'm there for mobile data on my carrier unlocked iPhone 5, since my US provider (Verizon) doesn't cover Chile in their international data plan (which is normally $20 USD for every 100 MB I believe) and I like to use a lot of mobile data. Voice is totally not needed for me. It seems like Virgin is by far the best option in terms of cost, but does anyone know if they carry nano SIMs? Their website only mentions regular and micro SIMs.

In case people aren't aware, the iPhone 5 and some newer phones use a nano SIM, which is smaller than the micro SIM used in the iPhone 4 and 4S. I do realize that I can cut it down, but I can't get a SIM cutter in time because I'm leaving today and stores in the United States don't sell SIM cutters (as far as I've ever seen). And trying to get everything necessary to cut my SIM in my hotel room in Santiago seems like a lot of work.

Can anyone in Chile please let me know what options are available? Will Virgin cut a SIM to size for me? Is there another mobile carrier that offers a lot of mobile data on a pre-paid nano SIM?

Thanks!

ExpatBob

Re: Using my Unlocked iPhone 5 in Chile on Virgin

Post by ExpatBob » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Any of the cel phone repair/unlock kioscos ought to have the punch which makes a normal sim into a micro sim. You can also download/print a paper template which will help you cut your own with scissors.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:08 pm

go to metro los leones subway station and walk around the galerias until you find someone to chop it down for you....
jontd2001 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm traveling to Chile tonight. I'll be in Santiago (staying at the Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center). I'd really like to buy a nano SIM while I'm there for mobile data on my carrier unlocked iPhone 5, since my US provider (Verizon) doesn't cover Chile in their international data plan (which is normally $20 USD for every 100 MB I believe) and I like to use a lot of mobile data. Voice is totally not needed for me. It seems like Virgin is by far the best option in terms of cost, but does anyone know if they carry nano SIMs? Their website only mentions regular and micro SIMs.

In case people aren't aware, the iPhone 5 and some newer phones use a nano SIM, which is smaller than the micro SIM used in the iPhone 4 and 4S. I do realize that I can cut it down, but I can't get a SIM cutter in time because I'm leaving today and stores in the United States don't sell SIM cutters (as far as I've ever seen). And trying to get everything necessary to cut my SIM in my hotel room in Santiago seems like a lot of work.

Can anyone in Chile please let me know what options are available? Will Virgin cut a SIM to size for me? Is there another mobile carrier that offers a lot of mobile data on a pre-paid nano SIM?

Thanks!

peter

Post by peter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Virgin doesn't carry nano SIM yet.
I have nano SIM cutter. I am in Las Condes. I can cut it for you if you want. PM me. You can also use scissors and use your Verizon SIM as template.
Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked and will work in Chile, unlike iPhone 5 sold by almost all other U.S. carriers. I am using one on Virgin too.

Don't bother with other carriers. Getting prepaid data plan is easiest with Virgin. The are virtual carrier running on movistar network, so the coverage and speed is decent.

peter

Post by peter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 pm

ExpatBob wrote:Any of the cel phone repair/unlock kioscos ought to have the punch which makes a normal sim into a micro sim. You can also download/print a paper template which will help you cut your own with scissors.
He needs nano SIM, that's smaller than micro SIM. Most shops don't have make nano SIMs here yet and most carrier stores don't have nano SIMs in stock - just special order. This was my experience 2 months ago. Maybe things have changed by now.

Riyko

Post by Riyko » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:13 am

You could go to Mtek in the costanera center, they cut sim cards down to fit the phone you have. If you purchase the sim card at Mtek they cut it for free :)
"por la muestra se conoce el paño"