Zero Visibility

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
41southchile

Re: Zero Visibility

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:30 am

admin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:11 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:31 pm
admin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 am
you want terrifying?

a friend was coming back from santiago on a bus. the driver was rushing to finish a 12 hour shift, layed the bus on its side going around a corner. he had his arm cut off, and watched his wife sitting next to him be decapitated. 6 dead, 40 seriously injured.

That single bus accident (and there are lot of them) had more deaths, than all the deaths on commercial flight (excluding the small planes) in chile in like the last 20 or 30 years (possibly more).

i will take my chances with the fog anytime. i dont get on buses for any reason in chile. I will drive or rent a car, if i need to get somewhere there are no flights.
I would say just anecdotally there is probably an average of one bus crash at least once a month in Chile with more than one fatality (I can think of at least 4 or 5 this year already), I know Chile is a lot more advanced than a lot of other countries and roads are safer but flying is still way safer than buses especially long haul trips.
I guess it's all a numbers game in the end, there are a huge amount of people that travel by bus, probably just as much chance as any automobile accident , private cars and rentals can still get taken out by morons or falling asleep truck drivers.
i don't even like driving near buses, because i have seen the drivers do just incredibly stupid crap in front of me. big trucks are dangerous to be around, but the buses seem to employ just way too many crappy drivers.
I think my long term average of a serious bus accident still holds as for Micro drivers they are a whole other level (down)

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... e-bus.html
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:37 am

Related to flying I see Jetsmart will base new planes in Concepcion soon, to promote more inter regional routes, as opposed to LATAM which bases all in Stgo.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/07/28/ind ... -new-base/

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:53 am

So I keep thinking back to what Admin said about commercial flying being safer and lack of trust of buses, which I agree with. This last particular accident is especially repugnant , false plates, false revision tecnica, etc etc. The bus should have never been in the road. I guess like a lot of things in Chile it's all wink wink nudge and look the other way until there are tragic consequences .
Everyone from the dodgy electrician with a dodgy connection who doesn't care until the house burns down and kills a toddler, to the owner and operator of a small plane who fails with a lack of maintenance on a small private plane untill it falls on a house in Puerto Montt and kills all onboard etc etc.
The govt and local level bureaucracy seems stuffed with friends and acquaintances of those in power that are incapable of looking into things like this, (or they are bought off )and this week six more people died through no fault of their own , and yet the burrocrats jump into action when the political winds change or some other trivial scandal breaks.
I know it's not up to the government to stop every idiot who doesn't give a damn about the consequences but for the amount of functionarios warming seats in the bureaucratic apparatus they could at least be a little more effective in their supposed delegated roles.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... trado.html

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:39 am

41southchile wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:53 am
it's not up to the government to stop every idiot who doesn't give a damn about the consequences
In some other places, the concept of Duty of Care exists. But not here.
In tort law, a duty of care is a legal obligation which is imposed on an individual requiring adherence to a standard of reasonable care while performing any acts that could foreseeably harm others. It is the first element that must be established to proceed with an action in negligence.
No Licensing or Bonding either....

Regarding culpable negligence (amongst other things), here's Chile's contribution to the FBI's most wanted list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ValuJet_Flight_592
Après moi, le déluge