The Chile Eclipses Thread

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Britkid

Re: The Chile Eclipses Thread

Post by Britkid » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:06 pm

I saw the 1999 eclipse under clouds. Even under clouds, I got to see a ring of light all around the horizon and the shadow of the moon racing across the land at a mile per second or so. I think it's worth going up to high ground, to get these effects. Of course, the down side of that is that you will have to share the high ground with others.

That's the only one I've "seen", so I've never seen one without clouds.

I think some of you underestimate how good a total eclipse of the sun in a clear sky is. Not many that see it say it wasn't very good.

You are talking about 3 minutes or so that are really very, very good though, the rest is no different to a regular partial eclipse.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 am

I had a look on Air B n B a while ago and there were plenty of deals, but I haven't checked recently. I think that is going to be the solution for most. Avoid hotels which are over priced or sold out and look for an apartment rental instead.

Here is a recent article:
https://www.latercera.com/que-pasa/noti ... os/650119/

Ignore the clickbait, wildly exaggerating headline to get you to read it.

Actually the key points from the article are:
Return bus from Santiago to Coquimbo 28,000 vs normal price of 17,000.
Flights 200,000 return instead of 40,000.
Plenty of availability left on Air B n B n a variety of price ranges.
Not too bad at all.

If are considering going, my advice is:
1. Book apartment not hotel - Air B n B or informal arrangement - avoid booking.com type sites.
2. Plan not to drive any significant distance on the day incase traffic is bad.

However events like this are going to be somewhat unprecedented, and therefore somewhat unpredictable.

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 am

As of a couple of weeks ago we´re fully booked for 3 days by a group from Europe. They booked direct and the deposit is paid, the thinking being secure the accommodation first then book the flights. They´ll get back to us next month with a decisiion to stay extra days or not. We´ve since had inquiries from the UK.
We were talking to the never travelled Chilean owners of another hotel a few days ago and they say they´re not going to accept bookings until the last minute, they´ve convinced themselves they´re going to make a real killing. Perhaps they will, but I doubt it, the international tourists will have their accommodation fully organised well before then and Chileans won´t be willing to pay outrageous prices to see something they can observe from just about anywhere, including parked on the side of a road somewhere. The last full eclipse I saw I didn´t even have to leave home.
An old mate used to chase eclipses and his experience was that the majority they attract are people who have never seen one ie. young backpackers who camp and have a big party.

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu May 16, 2019 12:22 pm

To clarify things, I´m talking Dec 2020.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 pm

I think the right strategy is to start off asking for 5x normal price a year before, reduce it to 3x normal price a few months before as needed. But those prices would be just for the 2 nights before and after. The other days surrounding that maybe 1.2-1.3x normal price might be about right.

The group that has booked with you will not likely be able to confirm definite dates next month because most flights are not sold until about 11 months (ish) before the date of the flight. They won't be able to book a flight until about January or so.

If this year's eclipse is in clear skies, then everyone will turn on the TV and see people raving about it, and the TV will report "another one in Chile in December 2020, last one for xx years in Chile" and everyone will make a mental note to go to that one, and that will drive demand a bit. If this year it's clouds everywhere that might dampen the demand for the next one.

This one is going to catch people out. People won't realize how good the solar eclipse is, or haven't given it much thought. Next time everyone will be ready and more people will go.

Plus 2020 is in summer when schools break up.

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 pm

You´re over thinking it. Our guests are only trying to figure if they´re going to arrive earlier or stay longer, when they can actually book their flights is irrelevent. They´re obviously planning to travel around and might arrive in Latin America much earlier or depart to home much later than the eclipse.

As to your pricing strategy, that´d work for a full solar eclipse in a world famous well established international tourist destination with multiple 5 star hotels etc etc already attracting well heeled tourists.... but at the bottom of world where most have never even contemplated going?
I don´t think so....

A solar eclipse is good to experience, but would I have ever payed 3-5 times the normal price for accommodation to see one? Nup.