Negotiating school tuition in order to relocate to Chile.

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
griffin

Re: Negotiating school tuition in order to relocate to Chile

Post by griffin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 pm

The last school on momof3's list that lists 2012 costs on their website, Santiago College:

application fee: $50.000, over $100 dollars currently
registration/one-time incorporation fee: 150 UF first child, 120 2nd, 110 3rd (roughly $7500, $6000, $5500 dollars)
tuiton: 10 UF yearly plus monthly fee, currently $430.345 (about $500 + about $900 monthly, probably for 10 months but not clear on site)
this covers textbooks and supplies through 8th grade, just textbooks above that

they also have a few small fees listed for things like insurance and the parents' group

griffin

Post by griffin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 pm

From the "best private school options in Santiago" thread, 2012 fees for Craighouse:

The cost is 16.67UF a month, plus the matricula which was around 2.5M pesos.

So about $800 monthly (don't know if it is for 10 months or more) plus about $5000 dollars of matricula? That sounds high for a matricula, but about right for an incorporacion.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Insane. What is this "incorporacion" allegedly for / how is it justified?

Cheers,

James.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 am

jehturner wrote:Insane. What is this "incorporacion" allegedly for / how is it justified?

Cheers,

James.

It your purchase of a share in the school, sometimes they go up in value and some schools buy it back, others not so much.
It's all about the wine.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 am

nwdiver wrote:
jehturner wrote:Insane. What is this "incorporacion" allegedly for / how is it justified?

Cheers,

James.

It your purchase of a share in the school, sometimes they go up in value and some schools buy it back, others not so much.

I had forgotten that. I wonder if we still have ours.

This is a useful thread for those looking at private schools in Chile. They look expensive until you compare them with private schools even in other SA countries.

sweetbiscuit
Location: Brisbane...Santiago.... Vancouver....Brisbane (Australia)

Post by sweetbiscuit » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 am

Yes, but the difference is that in Australia/Canada/UK/US, you have the choice of public or private. In Chile, when you are an expat dragging your children all over the world and hoping for a steady education, you MUST go private - and expensive private at that.

I have taken my children out of private education in Aus for reasons I won't bore you with here, and am delighted with the state system they are now in (suplemented with private tutoring and lots of parental input) but if we return to Chile, they will be at one of the stupidly expensive international schools because there is no other choice for an English-based education. Hell, even my Nana had her daughter in a private school - the government schools in Chile really are that hopeless.

So yes expats, ensure you negotiate education as part of the package.

griffin

Post by griffin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 am

Santiago school listed on the wiki, Wenlock, bilingual British-style school in Las Condes:

Valores 2013
Cuota de Incorporación: Here the cuota de incorporacion is lower for the higher grades and is non-refundable.

Educación Parvularia, 1º a 5º Básico
Primer hijo 60: UF about $3000 dollars
Segundo hijo y siguientes: 52 UF about $2600

6º Básico a I Medio.
Primer hijo: 38 UF about $1900
Segundo hijo y siguientes: 32 UF about $1600

II y III Medio
Primer hijo: 21 UF about $1000
Segundo hijo y siguientes: 13 UF about $650

Postulantes que sean aceptados: deberán pagar sólo 1 vez.
Estudiantes que se incorporan a cursos iguales o superiores a 5to básico, además de Play Group, tendrán facilidades para el pago.
** esta cuota no es reembolsable bajo ninguna circunstancia

Matrícula UF 10,7 about $550

Se cancela una vez al año durante el 2º Semestre escolar. Incluye un Seguro Escolar Colectivo (SEC) de Clínica Las Condes que es para TODOS los alumnos del Colegio y los cubre durante las 24 horas del día, todos los días del año, dentro y fuera del territorio nacional y se encuentra incorporado en el valor de la matrícula.

Colegiatura/Tuition

Para el año 2013 la colegiatura tiene un valor anual que se pagará en 10 cuotas mensuales (expresadas en Unidades de Fomento), de marzo a diciembre
Play Group (1) 10 UF about $5000 annual

Pre Kinder y Kinder (1) 15 UF about $7500 annual

1º Básico a IV Medio (2) 16,8 UF about $8500 annual

(1): los valores anuales en Colegiatura incluyen los materiales y seguro de vida al padre titular sostenedor.
(2): los valores anuales en Colegiatura incluyen los materiales, almuerzo y seguro de vida al padre titular sostenedor.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

I think I will show this post to my mom the next time she bugs me about when I am having kids :mrgreen: !

john

Post by john » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:42 pm

gringalais wrote:I think I will show this post to my mom the next time she bugs me about when I am having kids :mrgreen: !
:lol: :lol: :lol:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 pm

nwdiver wrote:It your purchase of a share in the school, sometimes they go up in value and some schools buy it back, others not so much.
Oh, I see, thanks (at least I think you're being serious). Well, at least the teachers should be responsive if you co-own the school (what tells me it doesn't always work like that)...

James.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:10 am

jehturner wrote:
nwdiver wrote:It your purchase of a share in the school, sometimes they go up in value and some schools buy it back, others not so much.
Oh, I see, thanks (at least I think you're being serious). Well, at least the teachers should be responsive if you co-own the school (what tells me it doesn't always work like that)...

James.

On the responsive issue, not so much when 99.9% of the other "owners" side with the school and teachers on most things ;)
It's all about the wine.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm

nwdiver wrote:
griffin wrote:Since I have a few minutes I will put the Grange rates here so you don't have to navigate their website or translate:

Tuition and Fees

Segundo semestre 2012

Postulación................................................... 2 UF about $50 to apply to the school
Matrícula...................................................... 10 UF about $250 matriculation fee (annual)
Cuota Incorporación................................... 150 UF about $4500 one-time incorporation fee

IV. Enseñanza (cuota 11 meses)
Pre-Kinder a 4º Medio............................................$443.000 11 monthly fees of $443.000 pesos, about $950 dollars a month, over $10,000 a year

Librería y Textos de Pre-Kinder a 4º Medio: valor incluido en la tarifa books and supplies are included in the price
de enseñanza.

El almuerzo de los alumnos está incluido en el pago por enseñanza. lunch is also included

The Grange was more expensive per year than PUC Engineering, but it did get my son accepted to PUC and University of British Columbia Engineering.

All the reliance on the Educational system of any country that parents use as 12 years of daily babysitting makes me want to puke. IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO HAVE A GOOD EDUCATION, do what is necessary, expand what they learn in school at home, acquire tutors GET INVOLVED, don’t expect whatever you pay to GIVE THEM an EDUCATION.

As to home schooling, I have seen it work and fail, one point is it doesn’t socialize children to thier peer group, only thier home or tutor, this I feel is bad. The home school system in BC Canada is very good as it has been developed over the years for children in very remote areas without schools (not as an alternative to classrooms) and as I said has been very successful for some kids I know not for others sometimes in the same family. If you don’t like what they are teaching your children then discuss it with the CHILDERN not the school, parents have lost the ability to parent.

Agreed. My kids will spend the summer in "Mommy School" to bridge the academic gaps. BTW Field trips are integral to my curriculum!
We agree to disagree.