Negotiating school tuition in order to relocate to Chile.

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
momof3

Negotiating school tuition in order to relocate to Chile.

Post by momof3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 pm

I have encountered several expats who did not even consider tuition as part of their contract negotiation for relocating to Chile. Some thought they would just put their kids in the public school. :roll:
They ask about schools on this forum (in pms) and my first question is always "What is your budget?"
Next comes the debate where I explain that attending private school here is not a personal choice in the same way it is in other countries. Either home school them or go private.
Then comes the NIDO option. If they offer to pay for it fine, if not research the other schools and their current tuitions plus the infamous "cuota de incorporación).
Now a request for the forum.
[Can you kindly publish the 2013 tuition rates of the more popular expat school choices in USD? /color]
That way people who wish to relocate their families have some numbers to work with when negotiating their contracts.
PS
Please no linking. Just school name and cost. The idea is to simplify the process.
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Re: Negotiating school tuition in order to relocate to Chile

Post by momof3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:26 pm

NIDO 2011-2012

Finances: Annual tuition rates for the 2011-2012 school year are quoted in a local currency unit. Given the current exchange rate, tuition fees are equivalent to, in U.S. dollars, approximately: PK-KI: $9,756; K2-grade 12: $18,725. There is also a one-time capital incorporation fee of approximately $11,558 upon enrollment. (All fees are quoted in U.S. dollars.)
We agree to disagree.

picalena

Post by picalena » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Wow, that is really expensive. We are not in Santiago, but will post rates in our area in Pucón / Villarrica for the schools we know about.

Raitrai College - posted tuition for 2011 was 48 USE, it is likely the same. 2012 USE is 19.100,4740, so that would have been about 916.824, or call it 2,000 USD plus uniform and supplies and I suspect a parent's center charge as well.

Colegio Pucón - posted rates for 2013:
- pre-basica and basica: 71.000 CLP x 11 cuotas or 781.000, about $1600 USD plus uniform and supplies and parents center.
- media: 81.000 CLP x 11 cuotas plus matricula of 3.500 CLP, or about 894.500, about $1800 USD plus uniform, etc.
- posted rates for 2014 are essentially 4 USE x 11 cuotas for pre- basica and basica; 4 USE x 10 cuotas + matricula for media

I can't find rates posted for the Waldorf school, the Colegio Aleman, nor the English (Oxford) school. The remaining schools in this area are not generally first choices for ex-pats. However, we know several who are at Fatima, Liahona, and Arrayanes as well as others in the area. It is interesting to us how often kids seem to change schools around here, during the year and from year to year.

cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 pm

The best private schools in Australia (Perth) that I am aware of cost comfortably into the low 20k's each year, without the extra-curricular activities etc, so in that context, Nido doesn't sound outrageously expensive. Still, there's no way my kids are going to any of them, that's for sure!

In terms of what I know here in Chile, I can add two data points.

1) Scuola Italiana in Copiapo - CLP$180.000 per month, payable for 12 months per year (roughly US$4300 per year). Primero medio.
2) Colegio Pumahue in Temuco (2 years ago) - about the same as this year in Copiapo.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 am

momof3 wrote:NIDO 2011-2012

Finances: Annual tuition rates for the 2011-2012 school year are quoted in a local currency unit. Given the current exchange rate, tuition fees are equivalent to, in U.S. dollars, approximately: PK-KI: $9,756; K2-grade 12: $18,725. There is also a one-time capital incorporation fee of approximately $11,558 upon enrollment. (All fees are quoted in U.S. dollars.)
Geesh, that's more than Brookfield Academy in the Wisco (US$15,000/year). I don't even know why my aunt sent her kids to that over priced place... the area has some of the best public schools out there. Chile... not so much.

griffin

Post by griffin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 am

2013 tuition rates for Colegio Aleman in La Serena (schools in Santiago will cost more):

La colegiatura anual por cada alumno corresponde a lo siguiente: Annual tuition per student is as follows:

Nivel Medio Mayor : 10 cuotas de $ 156.000 3-4 year olds: 10 payments of $156.000 pesos, about $3000 per year
Prekinder : 10 cuotas de $ 168.000
Kinder : 10 cuotas de $ 183.000
Enseñanza Básica (1º a 4º) : 10 cuotas de $ 243.000
Enseñanza Básica (5º a 8º) : 10 cuotas de $ 251.000
Enseñanza Media : 10 cuotas de $ 261.000 ...about $5000 per year

Cabe señalar que nuestro Colegio contempla un beneficio de descuento por pago contado de la escolaridad:

5% descuento por pago al contado hasta el 30 de enero 2013 discounts of 4-5% for paying up front instead of month-to-month
4% descuento por pago al contado hasta el 30 de marzo 2012

También nuestro Colegio contempla los siguientes beneficios de descuento por número de hijos, tanto en mensualidad como en matrícula.

5 % descuento por 2º hijo discounts for more than one child in the school
15 % descuento por 3º hijo
25 % descuento por 4º hijo o más

There is also a yearly matriculation fee for each child, this year 245.000, or about $500 dollars per child.
When you enter first grade or first enter the school in a higher grade, there is an incorporation fee of 20 UF (currently about $950 dollars)
Parents also provide school supplies, school clothes for physical education (no uniforms), and locally available books (the school orders some of the books from Germany).

My husband's coworkers say that the Colegio Aleman fees are quite reasonable for the area. I know the International School fees are higher, but I don't know specifics.

Edited on 27/11 to show 2013 rates. Rates are between 120.000-190.000 more annually than last year, roughly 8% increase? (estimate).

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks. Better hope I still have a good job in 5 yrs time...

momof3

Post by momof3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am

Any recent rates on:
Craighouse
Grange
Santiago College
TIPS
We agree to disagree.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Here is the link to The Grange fees on their website.

http://www.grange.cl/admissions/
It's all about the wine.

griffin

Post by griffin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Since I have a few minutes I will put the Grange rates here so you don't have to navigate their website or translate:

Tuition and Fees

Segundo semestre 2012

Postulación................................................... 2 UF about $100 to apply to the school
Matrícula...................................................... 10 UF about $500 matriculation fee (annual)
Cuota Incorporación................................... 150 UF about $7500 one-time incorporation fee

IV. Enseñanza (cuota 11 meses)
Pre-Kinder a 4º Medio............................................$443.000 11 monthly fees of $443.000 pesos, about $950 dollars a month, over $10,000 a year

Librería y Textos de Pre-Kinder a 4º Medio: valor incluido en la tarifa books and supplies are included in the price
de enseñanza.

El almuerzo de los alumnos está incluido en el pago por enseñanza. lunch is also included

edited 'cause oops I can't convert from UF to dollars in my head after all!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:19 pm

griffin wrote:Since I have a few minutes I will put the Grange rates here so you don't have to navigate their website or translate:

Tuition and Fees

Segundo semestre 2012

Postulación................................................... 2 UF about $50 to apply to the school
Matrícula...................................................... 10 UF about $250 matriculation fee (annual)
Cuota Incorporación................................... 150 UF about $4500 one-time incorporation fee

IV. Enseñanza (cuota 11 meses)
Pre-Kinder a 4º Medio............................................$443.000 11 monthly fees of $443.000 pesos, about $950 dollars a month, over $10,000 a year

Librería y Textos de Pre-Kinder a 4º Medio: valor incluido en la tarifa books and supplies are included in the price
de enseñanza.

El almuerzo de los alumnos está incluido en el pago por enseñanza. lunch is also included

The Grange was more expensive per year than PUC Engineering, but it did get my son accepted to PUC and University of British Columbia Engineering.

All the reliance on the Educational system of any country that parents use as 12 years of daily babysitting makes me want to puke. IF YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO HAVE A GOOD EDUCATION, do what is necessary, expand what they learn in school at home, acquire tutors GET INVOLVED, don’t expect whatever you pay to GIVE THEM an EDUCATION.

As to home schooling, I have seen it work and fail, one point is it doesn’t socialize children to thier peer group, only thier home or tutor, this I feel is bad. The home school system in BC Canada is very good as it has been developed over the years for children in very remote areas without schools (not as an alternative to classrooms) and as I said has been very successful for some kids I know not for others sometimes in the same family. If you don’t like what they are teaching your children then discuss it with the CHILDERN not the school, parents have lost the ability to parent.
It's all about the wine.

griffin

Post by griffin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I got curious how much more expensive Santiago schools are than here in La Serena, so here is Deutsche Schule Santiago for 2012:

Cuota de Incorporacion 48 UF (about $2200 dollars, 36 UF for additional children)
Matricula 183.000 (about $400)

tuition:
prekinder 10 cuotas of $296.900 (about $6500 annually) Wow, it is unusual to have preschool be more expensive. I wonder if it is German immersion.
kinder-4 medio: 10 cuotas of $281.400 (about $6000 annually)

4% discount for paying up front
10% discount per kid from the second kid on, up to 50%

classes are taught in Spanish or German, depending on the class. Class sizes are small, 20-30 students per class. (Also true in La Serena).
Different campuses for preschool/kinder(Cerro Colorado), 1-6 grade (Vitacura), and above (Las Condes).

Uh, nwdiver, where did the rant come from? We're just posting school costs here, not trying to decide if they're worth it. :wink: