Why is it so hard to get a job in Chile?

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
Lori

Why is it so hard to get a job in Chile?

Post by Lori » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:44 pm

I have spent hours looking over old posts trying to find the answer to this question. The economy is growing and things look good for Chile but I have seen so many family members and friends looking for jobs and having a hard time finding one- chileans and foreigners, educated and uneducated. I retired to Chile 5 years ago and I am still learning how things work here. I have people ask me - Will I be able to find a job in Chile and I tell them don't count on it! But I can't tell them why!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Why is it so hard to get a job in Chile?

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:04 pm

And lower level professional wages have been pressed down and requirements like English and University have become more "standard" (no excluyente to excluyente) for those same positions.

I do not see how this can continue playing out as the cost of living in Santiago like housing keep going up and up.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Pitutos?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:34 pm

If I had to guess, I would say that it's because Chile is an exporter of raw materials
in an out-of-the-way corner of the world.
None of its exports are particularly skilled-labour-intensive nor technically advanced.

So there are not that many decent opportunities in the private sector.
The few good jobs that do exist are allocated through pituto rather than than on merit.
Helps to have a Freemason in the family as well.

That's why the Bureaucracy is so popular, at both local and national government levels.
Job security, good pay. A job for life. For Chileans only.

But it's another closed shop that depends on who you know, and also who you vote for.
Bachelet expanded government by 50,000 jobs, thereby buying herself a constituency.
Those state employees know which side their bread is buttered on come election time.
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:00 pm

I hear this too, but then I also hear how hard it is to get any good staff, especially in rural areas, so no answers. Pitutos ? Automation? Consolidation? Employers weary of labor laws? Zero hour contacts ? Gig economy? Your observations also match with a report out this week showing unemployment in Santiago has risen.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 pm

A slight rise overall quarter on quarter, a larger rise for women, although a decrease compared to same month in 2017
http://www.t13.cl/noticia/negocios/dese ... esocupadas
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Unemployment is 7.2% and 47% of chileans are in debt.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... -a-72.html
http://www2.latercera.com/noticia/adima ... endeudado/

Growing economy..... 100% propaganda, there is your answer!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Read this and you´ll get a better understanding.
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ntes.shtml
Combine low education+ unemployment + debts + low wages+ credit cards= poverty.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 pm

When economy picks up, more people start coming back into the labor force so that influences the stats, also read the first comment.on that emol article .
Some regions are up some are down,.things seem good here.but the reactivation of the economy appears to have been a very quick splutter though the first couple of quarters looking around the country and listening to the "experts".
Like I said the other day economic growth for this year has already been cut back to the lower end of the forecast compared to what they were saying 6 months ago, 2019 is only forecast at 2.9 percent, better than than MB and crew, hell yeah, but certainly no where going to live up to the promises and expectations made last year, which is the worry for Piñeras crew..

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:40 pm
Read this and you´ll better.
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ntes.shtml
Combine low education+ unemployment + debts + low wages+ credit cards= poverty.
That's just Chile catching up with the rest of the world, In Chile especially where it is so important to keep up appearances, credit card issuers are in heaven here.
Ninja loan anyone ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:45 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 pm
Gloria wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 pm

When economy picks up, more people start coming back into the labor force so that influences the stats, also read the first comment.on that emol article .
Some regions are up some are down,.things seem good here.but the reactivation of the economy appears to have been a very quick splutter though the first couple of quarters looking around the country and listening to the "experts".
Like I said the other day economic growth for this year has already been cut back to the lower end of the forecast compared to what they were saying 6 months ago, 2019 is only forecast at 2.9 percent, better than than MB and crew, hell yeah, but certainly no where going to live up to the promises and expectations made last year, which is the worry for Piñeras crew..
Yea, 47% of Chileans in debt tells you nothing. Do they all have $1 in debt, or $1 billion dollars in debt each? That does not even come close to international averages in developed countries.

The unemployment rate is completely consistent with people returning to the market. There was 6% rise in wages, which typically accompanies a bounce in unemployment numbers as people return to market to look for jobs. On top of we are just getting going with the seasonal agro, construction, tourism, etc industries getting going. If around February, there are still bad numbers, then perhaps something is going wrong.

Break out those unemployment numbers, and around 25% is kids in their early 20's and younger.

as for the 'Pitutos' that implies you need to pay someone off to get a job, or so someone a favour. no. It simply the oldest and most tried and true way to get a good job in the World: knowing someone. They call it 'networking' in other countries; and surprise, surprise it works, because it has always worked. The first job opening in the World, was probably filled by a friend or family member, referring someone to someone.

If you are opening up the newspaper or looking online for job openings, your probably not going to find much in way of good jobs.

Even on the hiring side, we have never had much luck using newspapers or online advertising. We end up wasting our time interviewing a bunch of 'structurally unemployable' (vs. structurally unemployed) people. Our best employees, came by some referral from someone we know, or were poached from some other job where we knew them or their former employer, or we hire junior attorneys out of the law schools where my wife or partners teach. Just an interview, CV, and job application, tells us little to nothing useful about the person applying. It is like the difference between buying a car based on the car manufactures advertising vs. reading consumer reports. It paints a whole different picture.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:48 pm