What is a good Salary in Santiago?

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
arios917

What is a good Salary in Santiago?

Post by arios917 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Hello,

I'm being offered an Advertising Sales Manager position for a company in Santiago. They want to negotiate on my salary and I'd like to get input here on what I should be aiming for. How much is a strong salary for a management position? I'm shooting for a salary that would be atleast 2x the cost of rent in a 1bed apartment in a neighborhood like Las Condes. Or on a lower tier, like Bellas Artes. What do you all think?

Alex

admin
Site Admin

Re: What is a good Salary in Santiago?

Post by admin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:51 pm

I would not go by rent price. Figure you can get a place for around 500,000 to a million a month in either of those areas, often less.

Are you actually managing people or something, or is that just part of the title?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:14 pm

The equivalent of a strong salary all depends on your standard of living, your relevant experience and a whole bunch of other factors. I know a lot of managers in Chile that make anywhere from 2.5 million - 10 million a month. (not including bonuses)

Personally, I couldn't keep up my standard of living with a 2.5 million paycheck, but I know others that think that's great money. All depends on you.

To answer your question - In my opinion, a strong salary in a management position would be along the lines of the same position in a North American market equivalent. (IE. - at least a six figure income)
Living the life!

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:49 pm

By which you presumably mean US$100,000 and above.

I guess it depends whether the question is more about the cost of living (in which case we can all chip in with an opinion) or whether it's more specifically about the market rates for advertising sales managers based not on living costs but market demand for the position (in which case probably few if any will know).

Other factor is jobs advertised in Chile targeted at Chileans I assume would normally have lower salaries than the equivalent position in say the US, however it is an ex-pat position being offered to someone already working for a company in the US you ought to get a better deal than that (?).
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Also, now I think about it the question arguably isn't specific enough to get an answer. I mean if you are in charge of a team of 3 students handing out fliers in the street and have been doing the job for 6 months that might make you an advertising sales manager. But different kettle of fish to some mega corporate hotshot responsible for million dollar+ advertising campaigns in a huge company who has 20 years of experiences and manages 5 senior managers, each of whom also manages a bunch of people.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

arios917

Post by arios917 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:34 am

Thanks all for the responses. To elaborate on the position, I would be managing 5 Account Executives that would sell various types of digital ad campaigns to international clients. The company recruiting me is a smaller company but growing rapidly. My background experience 3 years in tv and digital advertising at one of the largest media companies in the US. Hopefully this helps clarify a bit further.

arios917

Post by arios917 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:51 am

Also, for further clarification, my current salary is approx $90k USD per year. Should I be shooting for the equivalent in Santiago?

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:51 am

What you should know is that to rent a property, they usually ask for a person to have three times the monthly rental in wages here. Something for you to think about. I would assume that the managers earning $2.500.000 - $10.000.000 a month are all working in Las Condes/Vitacura because there is a very small percentage (like 1-2%) who earn that much.

For the ordinary Chilean, anything above $1.000.000 is seen as a good wage, but obviously your ABC1 and expats would find it hard to get out of bed for anything less.

I had to take a big reality check when it came to looking for jobs here, because the average wage for women especially is a lot lot lower than what we are used to in the UK. And it takes a long time for you to a get a foot in any door.

Luckily for you, you have got a great start it seems. Good luck. I just wanted to give you a differing opinion.