Professional Photographer - Possible Move to Pt Varas

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
Quitou

Professional Photographer - Possible Move to Pt Varas

Post by Quitou » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:04 pm

I'm a professional photographer and journalist with an itch to move to the Los Lagos region, most likely Puerto Veras. I have a number of reasons, but after working on an assignment there recently, it seems like where I want to live/work. I can earn much of my income as a writer servicing publications around the English-speaking world and do that from anywhere. I noticed a dearth of professional photography services in Puerto Veras.

How easy is it for a self-employed professional to set up shop in Chile?

Julito

Re: Professional Photographer - Possible Move to Pt Veras

Post by Julito » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:19 pm

It won't be easy, nothing is easy in Chile, even for Chileans starting out as professional anythings. Do you have Spanish?

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:32 am

I ask because I regularly encounter information stating that business startups are easier in Chile than in any other South American country. I only know one expat to start a business in the country any while he didn't have any issues, he couldn't offer many specifics for my particular profession.

I guess more information than, "it won't be easy" is what I'm looking for. Nothing in life is easy. :)

Julito

Post by Julito » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:28 am

We had a professional photographer do a hotel shoot for us yesterday, gratis...long story. He usually works in theatre. Setting up will be the easy part, get your residency then do it. By not easy I mean starting up without a network, and then actually getting paid. For example someone we know organizes events. He quickly learnt to demand 50% up front and the second 50% before turning the sound gear on.

You'd have to do something similar, 50% deposit upon engagement and 50% before full delivery of your work.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:51 am

I'm the last one to nit pick about spelling, but i believe you mean "Puerto Varas". Just some day, another person will come along and want to search for the topic, and not find this thread in the list.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 am

Julito wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:28 am
We had a professional photographer do a hotel shoot for us yesterday, gratis...long story. He usually works in theatre. Setting up will be the easy part, get your residency then do it. By not easy I mean starting up without a network, and then actually getting paid. For example someone we know organizes events. He quickly learnt to demand 50% up front and the second 50% before turning the sound gear on.

You'd have to do something similar, 50% deposit upon engagement and 50% before full delivery of your work.
Superb advice. I've been a freelance journalist and photographer for a very long time. I'm pretty good at chasing payment and even better with protecting deliverables before getting paid. But, that is still a great reminder!