Hola guiris!

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Hollinger

Hola guiris!

Post by Hollinger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi forum!

Will be going to Chile a month from now. First time, but have been on countless trips to other Spanish speaking countries. Have been reading this forum for two days. Chile is very interesting. Here I find many of the good reasons to travel, in one place: nature, wine, people, dancing, interesting history and true diversity of political opinions. The food isn't so great though, I gather.

Hoping to exchange ideas and impressions with you people here. The main objective of my traveling is always to meet with people (I speak Spanish well, of course) and sort of getting under the skin of the culture I visit. Beaches, night clubs and sightseeing tours follow the same predictable format across the world, but cultures are very very different. I hope you guys can help me with some keys to finding a highly interesting experience in Chile. I have a month.

Hollinger

Re: Hola guiris!

Post by Hollinger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks Pata!

We have quite a few Chilean people here in Sweden (I have no idea who let them in), some of whom are friends or ex-girlfriends. Their Spanish is simpler than the one(s) of Spain. They way they speak in Argentina, however, is a whole different matter. They even have their own grammar. Mallorqui is an interesting experience too.

But I'm sure you have a lot of nice slang in Chile that I will be able to pick up. I already picked up some Quechua vocabulary on other trips in South America.

Hollinger

Post by Hollinger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:29 pm

And please, someone tell me that I'm wrong about the food. I read yesterday in this forum about how the food is bland and without interesting spices. How there is no good cheese, no real mayonnaise, etc. Is it really that bad? I mean, Ecuador was really boring when it came to food. They only have two dishes: arroz con pollo or arroz con gambas. But I expected more from Chile. Argentina has great meat. Please tell me it's the same in Chile! And the Chilean wine I already love. Ay, Carmenere!

Anyone got good tips for nice wine tours in Chile?

Hollinger

Post by Hollinger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Salut i força al canut i que l'any que ve sigui més gros i més pelut! (i.e. happy new year)
patagoniax wrote:Chilean food is so bad..... that the United Nations has banned the proliferation of Chilean restaurants, with 217 nations and four planets as co-signatories.
No but seriously?

PS. I'd say Mallorqui is a bit more than just another dialect of Catalan, since they have a bit of grammar of their own, such as the articles (es/sa). Quite as Argentinian has their own grammar for "voz".

Hollinger

Post by Hollinger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:51 pm

OK, I give up on the food then. But could you tell me something in Chilensis? To get the gist of it.

Norwegian is considered a different language then Swedish, why not just a dialect? It's pretty arbitrary. The best definition I heard is that a language is a dialect with an army. So... Mallorqui is just a dialect then :)

Good food though. Such as sobrasada and sopa seca (which I renamed as wet bread).

Hollinger

Post by Hollinger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:35 pm

patagoniax wrote:Hollinger, I admire your intelligence and good humour.
I'm glad you interpret my special kind of madness as intelligence, so I'd like to return the compliment.

And many thanks for the crash course in Chilensis. Indeed a marvelously condensed and effective lingo. Straight to the point and devoid of unnecessary frills; like calculus. And as long as I remember to say "poh weón" I seem to have gotten the most of it.

"Nah, poh, weón, en la pega no mah" is a funny one too. Reminds me of andalú (se comen letras). And the "translations" into Spanish are priceless, and gets better along the way :)

MercyMe

Post by MercyMe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Buen po´ huevon

MercyMe

Post by MercyMe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:24 pm

La comida no es tan mala "wn",
prueba los mariscos, son ricos!!!

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:41 pm

En chilensis también se comen las letras, aunque a veces las mastican no más y de repente las escupen. Son muy pero muy weones y ordinarios. Igual que la comida. Ya verás.
Ay, siempre tan refrescantemente positivo, nuestro Patagoniax. Aunque de alguna manera sospecho -considerando sus profundos conocimientos de Chile- que no puede ser tan en serio su supuesto odio de tan simpático pueblo:) En fin, se puede comer muy bien en Chile, quizás no tiene la cocina más interesante del mundo, pero bueno, muchos de los que aquí constantemente reclaman por la cocina tan fome tampoco vienen precisamente de países que se destacan por una cocina de renombre internacional.

Hollinger

Post by Hollinger » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 pm

Hmm... translated to Spanish it's 'pues cojón' :)

And such a beloved child has many names: huevon, weón, guewon, güevón, wevón
As this link suggests: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=51385
And I just have to quote that first post there:
huevón, guewon, coño, pinche
among these four, which one is the rudest?
I also heard that you can say 'coño' to a professor in spain, is that right?
:alien:

Hollinger

Post by Hollinger » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks for your comments about the food MercyMe and La_Tini. My questions are seriously meant, even though there's quite some fooling around in this thread (too many weones[*] while no weonas, I guess). I would like you to describe the Chilean food you are proud of (mariscos have been mentioned), and places where you recommend me to eat it. I want to learn to love Chile for the food also.

Patagoniax, you are Spanish, aren't you?

[*] massa gros i pelut

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:55 am

The word that threw me was guiris. I thought it was guríes, a word I haven’t heard in ages.