Comin' to Santiago

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Aileen McLean

Comin' to Santiago

Post by Aileen McLean » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:24 am

Hello, we're flying in to Santiago in a few weeks to metaphorically dip our toes into the water. My brother suggested a visit of at least 6-8 weeks. After much discussion, we decided to "check Chile out" for three months. We've never done the expat thing before so I expect this to be "interesting."

We're doing this all wrong, of course. We should have researched everything thoroughly and arranged for living quarters, job, etc. before hopping on a plane with our children.

Yep. Probably should have done that.

Instead, we went ahead and got plane tickets.

I've been reading this forum for weeks, trying to absorb everything I can. I still have questions though.

Do I need to get our documentation (birth certificate, marriage license, diplomas, etc.) authenticated through the Secretary of State and the local Chilean consulate here in the US or is the notarization sufficient?

The clock is ticking and I haven't arranged a place for us to stay in Santiago. I think I've ruled out Lo Barnechea, Las Condes, and Vitacura. We're a large, noisy family. I want to live in a noisy, family oriented neighborhood. Preferably in a house.

Do you have any suggestions? (Other than getting my head examined, that is.)

greg~judy

Re: Comin' to Santiago

Post by greg~judy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 am

Aileen McLean wrote:Hello, we're flying in to Santiago in a few weeks to metaphorically dip our toes into the water. My brother suggested a visit of at least 6-8 weeks. After much discussion, we decided to "check Chile out" for three months. We've never done the expat thing before so I expect this to be "interesting."
The clock is ticking and I haven't arranged a place for us to stay in Santiago. I think I've ruled out Lo Barnechea, Las Condes, and Vitacura. We're a large, noisy family. I want to live in a noisy, family oriented neighborhood. Preferably in a house.

Do you have any suggestions? (Other than getting my head examined, that is.)
although others may undoubtedly offer different opinions...
YES - you should "metaphorically" get your head examined - for only considering santiasco...
i.e. for more than a few hours to spend at SCL and arrange a domestic flight out...
to somewhere~anywhere else in chile!
you say you want to "check chile out" for 3 months...
please - do you really think santiasco is representative of "chile"?
well - think again - while you have your head examined.
there are many, many other places to get a "feel" for chile...
look at a map - search allchile more (and more)
make a short-list of other prospective locations - choose a good one?
btw - your peso~budget will arguably go a bit further in other locales, as well
suerte...
:idea:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 am

Aileen McLean wrote:Do I need to get our documentation (birth certificate, marriage license, diplomas, etc.) authenticated through the Secretary of State and the local Chilean consulate here in the US or is the notarization sufficient?
Yes. If you are move here you will need one or all at some time or another and it is cheaper and quicker to do it there before you come.

Aileen McLean

Post by Aileen McLean » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:23 pm

No! Really? Santiago is not the same as the rest of Chile?

Hold on a minute while I turn the volume down on my sarcasm generator. Oh, that's much better.

I understand that Santiago is...well, it is what it is. We have to start somewhere.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Family oriented neigbourhood? then that aint anywhere in chile..... 70% of chileans dont trust their neigbour...........

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Why did you rule out Lo Barnechea, Las Condes, and Vitacura?? If price then check out La Reina and Nunoa (with accents Px ;) ). I think you will be paying allot for a large furnished 3 month rental and will only find a place in the North East barrios you have ruled out.

Grab an apartment in an Apart Hotel for a week or two and look around, maybe the country is where you want to be. Summer, rentals of any size on the coast may be booked solid so luck need be on your side.
It's all about the wine.

rican

Post by rican » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:26 pm

3 month rental for a house might be too much to hope for. Unless you're willing to pay the 3 months up front and most likely a "deposit". The 3 areas you discarded will probably be the most expensive options, but also the areas most likely to have short term rentals in Santiago. You should not need all those documents if you plan on staying 3 months, those would only come in handy if you plan on getting a work visa.

Summer is here and if by some miracle you can find it, I would check homes on the beach areas, around Viña del Mar. That is if cost is not an issue.

Aileen McLean

Post by Aileen McLean » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:15 am

We'll be staying in an apart hotel at first. After that, (shrug) we'll decide after we've had a chance to look around.

greg~judy

Re: fleeing Santiago...

Post by greg~judy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:10 am

patagoniax wrote: There is still time to correct your errors, and save your hides and souls.

Get out of Santiasco as soon as possible, preferably by an express means such as a connecting flight from the airport. And don't just get away. Get far away. Like Iquique or Punta Arenas, assuming you can't get all the way to the South Shetland Islands. Iquique has lots of crime and mosquitoes, while Punta Arenas has fewer mosquitos but more penguins, so it's kind of a draw.

Santiasco itself has no socially redeeming value.
now as the penguin flies (ooops --- swims!)
p~x and g~j generally reside about 4000km apart
he in the deepest south, we in the farthest north
we must therefore correct his premise of "get far away"

p~x quite well knows that you can get farther "away" than iquique
thus, (OP) please now consider arica~~~punta arenas...
if you want to consider both our esteemed advices...
(i.e. - to asap~flee RM santiasco)

but, to contrast iqique - we must also edify p~x about arica...
there is very, very little crime in arica - and NO mosquitoes
admittedly, we have a paucity of polar~penguins packs (they won't swim that far)
but, we are particularly proud to promote a prolific population of pompous pelicans
:alien:
pellyline3 ac.jpg
pellyline3 ac.jpg (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:48 pm

I will probably get beat up for this post, but....

We spent one month in Santiago before heading south. We rented a fully-furnished apartment in the Santa Rosa area (???? not far from Cerro Santa Lucia). It was $700 US, all included. Now, I am not a city gal, but I enjoyed it immensely. Gave us time to get things we needed, get acclimated, wander around and learn about Santiago. I would head out at the crack of dawn, head to the Plaza del Armas and have coffee (real) in an outdoor cafe across from the incredible Correos de Chile building. Watch the characters going by, check out the street artists, each day trying a new Chileno epicurean delight. Learned that an Italiano is not an Italian sub, but a hot dog buried in things the color of the Italian flag. Delighted in churascos, schops, and coca tea. Cerro Santa Lucia is lovely and interesting. Close by the artisan mercados. Went to museums, spent a fortune on postcards which I sent to undeserving, unappreciative people back home. Bought wierd vegetables, fruits and unidentifiable stuff at the mercado which I cooked and served to my long-suffering husband.

In general, Santiago is interesting and I enjoyed my time there. I wouldn't want to live there, but would have missed out on a good time getting my equilibrium before venturing out.

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 pm

In general, Santiago is interesting and I enjoyed my time there. I wouldn't want to live there, but would have missed out on a good time getting my equilibrium before venturing out.
And it´s even pretty great to live here! I feel quite the opposite, I´m not sure how interesting it might be as a tourist destination (although all people which came to visit me absolutely loved it), but it´s a fantastic place to live. Really relaxed for such a big city (especially in February when many Chileans are on holiday), nice green areas as the mentioned Santa Lucía or San Cristóbal (I think it´s pretty amazing to have a hill in the middle of a big metropolis where you can bike or have great outside barbecues for free and if you go there on weekdays, you can be almost alone there and totally forget that you´re in such a big city), great climate (for my standards about half a year of summer), amazing mountains as high as over 5000 meters pretty close to the city. Nearby wineries, good starting point for trips to the beach... I´d say just give it a try!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:26 pm

La_Tini wrote:
And it´s even pretty great to live here! I feel quite the opposite, I´m not sure how interesting it might be as a tourist destination (although all people which came to visit me absolutely loved it), but it´s a fantastic place to live. Really relaxed for such a big city (especially in February when many Chileans are on holiday), nice green areas as the mentioned Santa Lucía or San Cristóbal (I think it´s pretty amazing to have a hill in the middle of a big metropolis where you can bike or have great outside barbecues for free and if you go there on weekdays, you can be almost alone there and totally forget that you´re in such a big city), great climate (for my standards about half a year of summer), amazing mountains as high as over 5000 meters pretty close to the city. Nearby wineries, good starting point for trips to the beach... I´d say just give it a try!

I’m with you I moved from Los Dominicos to an apartment on Parque Forestal because I was tired of maintaining a house and garden, I have always disliked the suburbs all over the world, you are in the city or the country, not your little piece of the country in the city. I love Santiago in the summer (well I’m only ever here in the summer) in January and February when I’m not on the coast or in the south there is constantly something to do, music, plays, concerts and festivals. Yes there are downsides but also more and more good coffee ;)
It's all about the wine.