Please help - from South Africa

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Tombi

Re: Please help - from South Africa

Post by Tombi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I grew up in South Africa (lived there for 25 years) and have been living in Chile for over 4 years and I can assure you, Chile (Santiago in particular) is a much easier place to live in than anywhere in South Africa, or Africa for that matter. For one, I sleep without a firearm next to my bed, our dog is not here for our protection. Hundreds of people are murdered in their homes every year for a small amount of loot. My own brother and his wife and kids were severely beaten up for a few thousand rands a few months back. The sick thing is that they were relieved that nobody was raped, but didn´t seem surprised at all at the violence they received.

Although tramites take long in Chile and most people don´t like paperwork, they are millions of miles ahead here compared to the utter confusion and ineptitude one has to go through in Sth Africa. I applied for my new South African passport in January. I have no expectations of receiving it before the end of this year. In Chile, it takes 10 days. I know, I have had to apply for 3 passports at different times for my children, for two maids and one for my husband and not once did we have to wait any longer.

My mother was flabbergasted at how orderly things are in Chile and yes, we did travel out of Santiago. She couldn´t believe the cleanlines and efficiency of a developing country, compared to the complete mess of a place that South Africa has become.

The road death tolls, the joke of an education system, the circus that is politics in South Africa, the violence, the crime

I can´t for one single minute think why anyone would say
I spend a bit of time in South Africa I thought
it wasn't an easy place to live, but Chile is deffinately worse, beleave me
without bursting into a hysterical fit of laughter.

Divecat1

Post by Divecat1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:44 am

Hi
I am a South Africa currently living in Southeast Asia I want to come and live in Chile tell me pal I have a British passport is it easy to get in and what type of visa should I apply for ? I currently own a dive resort here and I am in the process of selling it .
I look forward to your reply
Regards john

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:49 am

British passport no visa to visit........
It's all about the wine.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 am

Oh god, no visa to visit, but they charge $1000 for the work visa. If you're just visiting, yeah, use the British passport. If you plan on working see how much the work visa is for South Africans, and maybe you'd rather enter on that visa.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 am

wiscondinavian wrote:Oh god, no visa to visit, but they charge $1000 for the work visa. If you're just visiting, yeah, use the British passport. If you plan on working see how much the work visa is for South Africans, and maybe you'd rather enter on that visa.
Very good point. I think it is US$47 for South Africans. The British one is the highest.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
wiscondinavian wrote:Oh god, no visa to visit, but they charge $1000 for the work visa. If you're just visiting, yeah, use the British passport. If you plan on working see how much the work visa is for South Africans, and maybe you'd rather enter on that visa.
Very good point. I think it is US$47 for South Africans. The British one is the highest.

I assume South African dont need a visa before they visit?
It's all about the wine.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:43 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:

No, wisconsin referred to a work visa. I think even a temporary visa would cost that.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
nwdiver wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:

No, wisconsin referred to a work visa. I think even a temporary visa would cost that.
Yeah, sorry my post was confusing. I have no idea if S.Africans need a tourist visa prior to entering Chile. Here is what I meant to say:
wiscondinavian wrote:
British might not need a tourist visa to visit, but they get charged over US$1000 for a residence visa, one of the most expensive.

If you're just visiting, yeah, use the British passport.

If you plan on working, then you should see how much the work visa is for South Africans is, because that's probably a lot cheaper than the British work visa, so you might rather enter on the S. African passport

McDell

Post by McDell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 pm

I would like to thank everyone that posts on this site for their great advice, I have used this site extensively for research on where to shop, what to know and of course learning Spanish. I am however rather disappointed to read the first post from Tombi above. South Africa is a country with many faults, before you ask yes I am South African, but there are many great qualities as well and I would suggest that you don't use one persons account as your reference guide to the country. I agree that there are currently and have been rather terrible incidents of violence but there is absolutely no need to think that everyone has to sleep with a firearm next to their bed every night. That being said I am now here in Chile and would welcome any further advice to make our stay more comfortable. If anyone can add anything to the posts already provided that would be great. I am going to miss one or two things from South Africa (the food variety on offer for one) but I am optimistic that Chile will become a great home for our little family.

zannder

Post by zannder » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:40 am

Did you get the job in the mines?

McDell

Post by McDell » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 am

No, my husband has been posted here to help expand his companies South American presence. Is it right to assume that most South Africans are here because of the mining jobs?

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:19 pm

McDell wrote:No, my husband has been posted here to help expand his companies South American presence. Is it right to assume that most South Africans are here because of the mining jobs?
Probably not, but it is a valid question.

In response to your earlier post, I guess it depends on where one lives in South Africa whether they need to have a gun under their pillow. You apparently did not live in such a place. But the same could be said for a lot of countries. What do they say in real estate? Location, location, location. But that doesn't make Tombi's account of life in South Africa invalid.