Greetings all!

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Finnthecelt

Greetings all!

Post by Finnthecelt » Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm Steve from outside of Detroit, MI.

I've been researching different places to travel and live for years now as the US is wearing heavily on me. My fiance just wants to travel.... :D

I considered New Zealand where my mother is born; I still have a lot of family there but my uncle warned me that it's becoming very "corporaty" like America. Meaning it was about to get miserable. Besides between there and Australia and different parts of Europe it's just too expensive.

When I started really looking at Chile is when I started reading the writings of <banned topic on this forum>. The idea of being near the ocean, mts, Antarctica, a desert, etc!! What adventures to be had! Also the fact that Chile just seems to have it together more than other S. American countries. Anyway, we're traveling there in January and will further our determination if that's a destination point for us. Maybe it'll end up being a year or two move, maybe longer.

So we're in info gathering mode and I have to say, it's overwhelming but I've been reading some posts and it's encouraging, so thanks all! I'll be posting.

RuneTheChookcha

Re: Greetings all!

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 am

No one is here to say hello, however.. How sad.

Admin's busy messing with the Patio.. And when the hell are we going to the Patio?.. I've got a new pic, you see..

Well Finnthecelt, hi there. Are you genuine ethnic Celt, btw? Like me?.. I mean, ethnic Chookcha.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 am

Finnthecelt wrote:I'm Steve from outside of Detroit, MI.

I've been researching different places to travel and live for years now as the US is wearing heavily on me. My fiance just wants to travel.... :D

I considered New Zealand where my mother is born; I still have a lot of family there but my uncle warned me that it's becoming very "corporaty" like America. Meaning it was about to get miserable. Besides between there and Australia and different parts of Europe it's just too expensive.

When I started really looking at Chile is when I started reading the writings of <banned topic on this forum>. The idea of being near the ocean, mts, Antarctica, a desert, etc!! What adventures to be had! Also the fact that Chile just seems to have it together more than other S. American countries. Anyway, we're traveling there in January and will further our determination if that's a destination point for us. Maybe it'll end up being a year or two move, maybe longer.

So we're in info gathering mode and I have to say, it's overwhelming but I've been reading some posts and it's encouraging, so thanks all! I'll be posting.
Hi Finn....
If you chose Chile based on what <banned topic on this forum> told you alone then I have but one word.
ABORT ABORT!
Bring lots of money or a skill that is in demand. Sorry. I mean take.....

audeo13

Post by audeo13 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:43 am

First world prices for a large drop in quality of living, my friend. Not to discourage you, travel is the greatest thing you can do to expand your horizons (literally). Just don't bank on Chile being the place of your dreams. The country itself is absolutely gorgeous; the culture sucks. You never know, you might find that perfect pocket of land somewhere in the middle of no where that you fall in love with. If you do, good luck to you. May you have very deep pockets and strong understanding of carpentry and pretty much anything else you may ever need to do for your house ;)

Cheers and welcome. To visit, it really is very beautiful. Just reeeeally expensive for what it is.
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Fri May 27, 2011 11:43 am

audeo13 wrote:First world prices for a large drop in quality of living, my friend. Not to discourage you, travel is the greatest thing you can do to expand your horizons (literally). Just don't bank on Chile being the place of your dreams. The country itself is absolutely gorgeous; the culture sucks. You never know, you might find that perfect pocket of land somewhere in the middle of no where that you fall in love with. If you do, good luck to you. May you have very deep pockets and strong understanding of carpentry and pretty much anything else you may ever need to do for your house ;)

Cheers and welcome. To visit, it really is very beautiful. Just reeeeally expensive for what it is.
Ok here I have to disagree. My opinion only.

The culture sucks Audeo? Well then move or go back to where you came from (Canada?) if it sucks so much. Culture is very subjective. Your experience may not be everyone's. I certainly wouldn't stick around a place where I woke up every day and hated the culture. Living in Canada as I do, I can see where Chile falls short on many fronts in comparison. Health care, standard of living, etc. are all better here. But is Canadian culture that much better? It's different is all.

You want to talk culture? Let's talk about the culture of systemic racism in my province, Saskatchewan where when I drive my girlfriend to work I see 60 year old men cruising the hood looking to pick up first nations girls as young as 12. Or the fact that Canada's culture is so strong in my province that in surveys 40 percent of people are so damn patriotic that they would not mind being American. Quebec? Now there is a strong culture. But anyways I love Canada and Canadians. When we travel people tend to generally like us. Then again you have the odd one with the arrogance to pronounce after a whole 6 months in a country that that country's culture sucks.

Actually I went back an read some of your earlier posts. Are you Chilean by birth audeo and lived in Canada? That would make more sense to me now. The 'well travelled' Chilean returning to the motherland and pronouncing the culture as unworthy of them is something that makes more sense to me than a Canuck saying it. I suppose you don't eat 'porotos con rienda' these days after being so damn worldly.

Steve, Chile is very expensive. Just know that beforehand and plan accordingly. And I know things are not great in Detroit these days but know that in Chile, without a steady source of income, they will no be great either.

Finnthecelt

Post by Finnthecelt » Fri May 27, 2011 1:31 pm

PenquistaDeCorazon wrote:Hi Finn....
If you chose Chile based on what <banned topic on this forum> told you alone then I have but one word.
ABORT ABORT!
That's it? Abort? Do you think you don't need lots of money and special skills in America? The job market is quite finicky in America. Corporations can basically snipe the exact skill sets they need. If you don't have them you will live a very mediocre life; which I do anyway with decent savings. :D

Unfortunately I have to weed through so much information it's hard to disseminate. Can you offer anything constructive on why I should not heed Simon's advice? And for the record I don't get spoon fed by Simon. I read many sources about Chile and have no illusions (delusions?) of what we're up against. I grew up in the country here and live with a lot less than I have to. Simple is better for me. My greatest concern are my PM's. AG is for me. I've seen some of your posts on other threads so I'll be catching up with you.

Thx

Finnthecelt

Post by Finnthecelt » Fri May 27, 2011 1:34 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:No one is here to say hello, however.. How sad.

Admin's busy messing with the Patio.. And when the hell are we going to the Patio?.. I've got a new pic, you see..

Well Finnthecelt, hi there. Are you genuine ethnic Celt, btw? Like me?.. I mean, ethnic Chookcha.
Hi Rune, thanks for the welcome. I come from a long line of Celts though I was born in America. My mother was born in New Zealand. I think my grandmother (nana) identified more with the Maori though than her Irish ancestry. :D

Finnthecelt

Post by Finnthecelt » Fri May 27, 2011 1:41 pm

jessicak1234 wrote:South America is a good move, this is where many of the globalist elite are buying up personal land for who knows what motive. Chile is stable, but cost of living is high and the quality of life will be lower than what you would be accustomed to in the U.S. My only advise would be to not live in Santiago if you can avoid it. it is much nicer outside the city. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
HI Jessica,

I have noticed those moves you are talking about. I have a close eye on that world. I have a background that is diverse; sales, finance, IT, long list. I see a lot of changes coming to Chile and want to get in front of it regardless of some of the negativity out there about it. I have plenty of negativity about the great and mighty Amerika as it is! We'll be in a position to buy a house when we get there (modest) when we are legally permitted so our cost of living should be tempered. By the way, when is one permitted to be able to by a home? Do you have to have permanent residence status?

We were hoping to be near Vina del Mar but will certainly consider other options. May I ask where you are?

Thx

Finnthecelt

Post by Finnthecelt » Fri May 27, 2011 1:52 pm

audeo13 wrote:First world prices for a large drop in quality of living, my friend. Not to discourage you, travel is the greatest thing you can do to expand your horizons (literally). Just don't bank on Chile being the place of your dreams. The country itself is absolutely gorgeous; the culture sucks. You never know, you might find that perfect pocket of land somewhere in the middle of no where that you fall in love with. If you do, good luck to you. May you have very deep pockets and strong understanding of carpentry and pretty much anything else you may ever need to do for your house ;)

Thanks for the greetings :D

My response may sound negative but I don't intend it to be. lol

I've traveled enough to know that most cultures suck. All a culture is is a conglomeration of infinitesimal needs and desires. I don't believe there is a land on Earth where one's culture is more important than the individual need. Therefore one must transcend culture and deal with the political and financial realms. If you are American the political and financial realms are a living hell to behold. Of course most Americans are boobs and care more for whatever is on TV. Good people at heart just juvenile. Tough to deal with when you are a serious minded person.

As I stated in a previous post we'll be prepared to deal with the financial for a good clip but I'll cetainly need to find work eventually. Standard of living? If I have my love, beer, internet and my books I'll be quite happy. Maybe I'll even pick up some friends. Change is good no? LOL! If we decide we don't like it we won't be heart broken, we'll just go somewhere else. That's where it would hurt financially though.

We're coming in January for two weeks. Starting in Santiago and branching out. Any MUST sees?

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Fri May 27, 2011 1:53 pm

the culture sucks.
Oh ffs.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Finnthecelt wrote:
PenquistaDeCorazon wrote:Hi Finn....
ABORT ABORT!
That's it? Abort? Do you think you don't need lots of money and special skills in America? The job market is quite finicky in America. Corporations can basically snipe the exact skill sets they need. If you don't have them you will live a very mediocre life; which I do anyway with decent savings. :D

Unfortunately I have to weed through so much information it's hard to disseminate. Can you offer anything constructive on why I should not heed Simon's advice? And for the record I don't get spoon fed by Simon. I read many sources about Chile and have no illusions (delusions?) of what we're up against. I grew up in the country here and live with a lot less than I have to. Simple is better for me. My greatest concern are my PM's. AG is for me. I've seen some of your posts on other threads so I'll be catching up with you.

Thx
The abort comment was a dig more at Simon.... lol :)

He paints a rosy picture of everywhere he supposedly knows about because he is trying to selel you, the reader, a product.

Anyways, smart approach visiting first.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 pm

You can buy a home whenever you like.

Just forget about getting a mortgage in Chile without some permanent status.

And dont listen too much about the negative comments about Chiles culture.

I left Canada in 97 for a one year work opportunity in Chile.

I like Canada and I like living there and wasn't running away from anything.

I am still here in Chile after 14 years, i wouldn't be here if I didn't like it or if I thought the culture sucked.

Is it perfect? Very far from it!

Sometimes I wish people were more open and friendly like I found them to be in Colombia, with more joie de vivre like in Mexico and Brasil, etc etc.

But there is lots to like and if you find your niche there are lots of opportunities.

But I do sometimes wish that I could find someone to do renovations to my apt who could do it better and faster than i could in my spare time.

However, on the bright side I have found a mechanic who is both competent and honest and that is a rare combination indeed anywhere in the world.