light fixtures

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

onemansurfer

light fixtures

Post by onemansurfer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi, anybody outhere know if we should bring the outdoor light fixtures from the states vs buying them in Chile for our new beach house near pichilemu ???? we understand that the 220 v in chile and 110 in the states , but isnt the wiring the same ???? please advise , help us !! is it worth it ??? the out door light fixtures in chile are limited !!???? please advise, thanks M

onemansurfer

Re: light fixtures

Post by onemansurfer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:21 pm

SO I guess if we bring the light fixtures from the USA they will work in Chile ?????

onemansurfer

Post by onemansurfer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Thank you for the Info

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 pm

yea, that is a new one.

first, your light fixtures should work just fine, but man is that a bulky expensive thing to bring for no particular reason.

I think I spent a total of about $20,000 pesos ($40 US) on all the light fixtures in my house at Sodimac ( home depot of chile sodimac.cl ). By the way, in Chile most rentals do not include the interior light fixtures, but outside lights seem to always be there.

they all come from the same crappy factory in China. GE and the others are all here.

My next natural question would be, if you are talking about spending money and time bringing lighting fixtures from the States what else are you waisting money on shipping?

The rule is that if you can buy it in the states significantly cheaper (50% at least after shipping cost) or something that simply does not exist in Chile (not much outside specialty items), then ship it. for the cost of bringing exterior lighting fixtures, you could bring something like two new laptop computers for each one that really are more expensive in Chile, sell them on the street, and rewire your entire house with gold wiring.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:26 pm

It's not Chile, but in the UK, which is also on 220 electric, all I had to do for my lamps was to change the plug and find a place that sold 220 light bulbs that would screw into my lamps. Light bulb connections were not the same, but I was able to find screw-in 220 light bulbs at a lighting shop. Light fixtures seem to be wired to serve on any electrical system.

See, now to me, if I am shipping a full container, I'm going to cram as much stuff in as possible. But if you are only shipping a few boxes, then I'd be more selective.

However, since light fixtures in the USA are getting worse and worse, and more and more cheaply made, the light fixtures in Chile would have to be really ghastly to make it worth bringing light fixtures from the USA. It seems that even the more expensive fixtures are now flimsy junk. Good luck with finding fixtures made in the USA, and Chinese made never seems to be well made.

Nullius

Post by Nullius » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Actually there is a lot of industrial grade lighting equipment manufactured in the US. Of course you won't find it at Walmart and Home Depot, but there is more to life than the cheapo stores.

It is priced beyond normal residential cost ranges but if you want industrial grade you pay for industrial grade. A quick sampling, for entertainment value.

http://www.warehouse-lighting.com/
http://www.everlastlight.com/smart_light_fixtures.html

onemansurfer

Post by onemansurfer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:08 am

This Forum is so cool !!! Thanks a lot for the info !!!! It's the type of exterior lights that we want that are not available in Chile , but then again these lights are so cool that they'll probably get stolen !!!! We have had this property for about 15 years and it's on the beach !!! Anything out of metal corrodes in about a Year !! We have been building this house mainly with a trusted friend contractor from the area and SKYPE has been great !!!! It's been a real ride !!!! We are going down in December to finish it !!! It's 4 of us and we thought that one duffle bag could take easy 5 exterior light fixtures that we like !!!

El pescado

Post by El pescado » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:18 am

why dont you post a pic of the lights so people know what type you are talking about. I myself have an eye out for some type of hanging lantern but more for decor than function. If they have a solar LED in them would be cool but not nessesary. Within this forum are alot of preople trekking around this country that still read the forum but dont post. If you get the foto out, and people see it, you never know what you will find here in Chile and it keep changes by the week.