Hello from Pinguin

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

pinguin

Hello from Pinguin

Post by pinguin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Hello, I am a Chilean that like to participate in English speaking forums.
I wish to help people to understand my country, peoples and traditions. Any question about anything weird about Chile, let me know.
My favorite topic is Ancient Chile, but I know a bit about our history and old traditions.

pinguin

Re: Hello from Pinguin

Post by pinguin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I want to know more about the less known pre-Colombian artifacts in central Chile like the pene at Rocas de Santo Domingo. Does it predate the Incas? And since it may, who did build it and other artifacts on the central coast (I watched an interesting documentary on the local channel canal 2 not too long ago which reignited my imagination about lost civilizations and past earth catastrophes).
I have no idea of that "monument", if you post a link I may research. It would be funny.
In any case, Chile had cultures long time before the Incas. The Tiahuanacans were in Northern Chile, for instance, and the earliest textiles and mummies are from the Chinchorro culture 5.000 years ago.
And if you like some interesting "<banned word>" cultures, you have to research the Peruvian moches. You better look for the pictures yourself, because they are shocking.

Actually, I am not much interesting in spectacular forgotten cultures, but the real ones that existed in Chile since thousand of years ago. I imagine the llama carivans entering the small town downtown Santiago by today's Recoleta, where once it was the Inca road. That imagine fascinates me more.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:21 pm

patagoniax wrote:OK, estimado pinguino historiador, here is a question related to Chilean history that I had brought up once before but no-one had answered.

We all know that there was a significant shakeup in the Chilean university systems in the months that followed 11 sep 1973. One change in particular had to do with the elimination of certain academic areas that were considered by the new government to be undesirable, while other areas of study were given emphasis as necessary for Chile's economic recovery (engineering, economics, etc).

For 25 forum points, please give us your perspective on the academic areas that were effectively canceled or severely limited. We believe that these banished areas included sociology and similar subjects, but a short list of those areas and perhaps an authoritative reference source might be helpful.

And for sheer amusement value, perhaps you could give us some insight into your use of the apodo, pinguin. We are aware that pinguin is German for pinguino, and that Pinguin was the name of a famous German Hilfskreuzer during WWII.
I know Pinochet destroyed the Chilean academic but, even worst, I know he destroyed not only the Chilean pride but also its spirit.
The only thing I know is that when the dictator died my feet wanted to dance, spontaneously. :shock:

I use the nickname Pinguin because it sound like "Penguin" but in the wrong way a Latino will usually try to spell it in English. Pinguin is our national bird, you know. Well, not really but it should be.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:12 am

Of course, but a condor is a bit pretensious... And who is going to use a huemul as its icon :D
For birds I could use the owl... but that is the symbol of the "U" and I am from Colo-Colo...
Nope. I think Pinguin is better, and recalls me an old magazine, too :D

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:28 am

pinguin wrote:I have no idea of that "monument", if you post a link I may research...

Actually, I am not much interesting in spectacular forgotten cultures, but the real ones that existed in Chile since thousand of years ago...
Huh?.. What's forgotten is not real?..
aaa.jpg
pene {?}
aaa.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
At the winter solstice, I have a business meeting there, so I must know the truth also. Please.

:|

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote: At the winter solstice, I have a business meeting there, so I must know the truth also. Please.
Yes - this solstice business...
Most important - this must always be very well planned!
g~j also plan now, for this auspicious event.
:idea:
In the southern hemisphere
December 21, 23:38
UTC, of course.

Pssst... this is 2038 hrs DST in Chile...
Please correct us if this is wrong.
Timing is critical :!:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Greg you mean the SUMMER solstice in December ;)
It's all about the wine.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

el puelche wrote:Pinguin,

You realize of course that without El Capitan General de La Republica, Agosto Pinochet Ugarte, Chile would not be anything near what it is today?
Certainly. Chile would have been a better country without the thug. :shock:

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:05 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote: At the winter solstice, I have a business meeting there, so I must know the truth also. Please.

Have fun :lol:

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 pm

pinguin wrote:... Any question about anything weird about Chile, let me know. My favorite topic is Ancient Chile, but I know a bit about our history and old traditions.
As you should know, quite a few spiritual and religious groups, brotherhoods, fellowships, and the like, all based on some teachings or traditions originated in the East, have found their ways to Chile, one way or another. A number of their communities, temples, or cultural centers, whether officially or not, are currently operating in this country, or were active in the recent past. Some even have websites. From a bit occult, though based on a widely accepted in the West tradition, Arica School of Knowledge -- to the Hindu cultural center here in Temuco, from a couple of Hare Krishna communities in the far North, and in Diaguitas -- to some Chinese type, and some Tibetan Buddhist temples in Central Chile, and in Iquiqe, to the well-known mosque in Cocuimbo, to even some traditional Sufi orders presented in the capital, not to say about numerous yoga teaching centers scattered here and there, not to say about rather weird groups and communities founded by a number of visiting Hindu teachers, who belong to some rather rare, I'd say, schools of Yoga and certain Hindu sects (that are not even well known to the scholars of the said traditions). To name just a few officially registered organizations, CONGREGACION HINDU VAISNAVA VRINDA, CENTRO BUDISTA TIBETANO CHOE KHOR LING, CENTRO BUDISTA CHENREZIG, TEMPLO HINDU DE IQUIQUE, CENTRO ISLAMICO DE IQUIQUE MASYID BILAL, TEMPLO BUDISTA FO GUANG SHAN EN CHILE, CENTRO ISLAMICO DE CHILE, and so on. With regard to these groups, brotherhoods, fellowships, and movements, I would be interested to know more details about the process of establishing their presence here in Chile (and that would be especially interesting, as not only the OP is a historian, but a Chilean).

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Sincerely, I am not interested in foreign pop-culture religions. I used the be in freemasonry but I leave it for good. I am also a former Catholic by birth.
My hobby is to study Mapuche cosmology, and that's what is really authentic between all these mixture of Old World mythologies that have arrived lately.

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 pm

As you should know, quite a few spiritual and religious groups, brotherhoods, fellowships, and the like, all based on some teachings or traditions originated in the East, have found their ways to Chile, one way or another. A number of their communities, temples, or cultural centers, whether officially or not, are currently operating in this country, or were active in the recent past. Some even have websites.
Please... can we recognize neo-paganism here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopaganism
We have also met certain representatives of these groups in Chile 8)
"the Pagan community is one of the only spiritual communities that is exploring humor, joy, abandonment, even silliness and outrageousness as valid parts of spiritual experience."
Rune (and some other allchileans) are neo-pagans...
Even though this is not always fully understood...
(By some other allchileans) :!:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa