Happily settled in Region VII

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

susiedillon

Happily settled in Region VII

Post by susiedillon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Apologies to the admin. I hadn't thought to introduce myself before posting a question in one of the forums ... but better late than never.

Tho I was born in Chile (in Chuquicamata, of ex-pat parents), I had left as an infant and had never returned to see the country of my birth. So in early 2007, my husband and I decided to visit friends living in Santiago and then wander around a bit exploring the country - we took planes, trains and automobiles ... and the odd ferry, and managed to see quite a lot from Santiago south to Punta Arenas and then north to the desert , and whole lot in between ... As other posters on this site have said, we were here for a holiday and really had no intention of living here. But it did not take long to fall in love with the country - the people, the scenery, the climate ... the wine!!! And all of this in a relatively stable and democtratic political environment.

By the end of our visit , we had not only seen a lot of Chile but we had had the chance to see parts of Argentina, Uruguay, and Peru. And then when we finally returned to Santiago to fly home at the end of our holiday, our friends took us for a quick visit to a small village a couple of hundred kilometers south of the capital where they had a business interest. We were completely bowled over, we felt that we had discovered a tiny corner of paradise. By chance there was a parcela for sale ... and of course, we couldn't resist the temptation, we put in an offer and all of a sudden our lives changed, we became homeowners in Chile.

Of course we are well aware that its not always 'paradise' living here - we have had our fair share of problems over the past 3 years: problems figuring out the bureacracy, with learning how things work here, and of course, with the language. But our biggest challenge was that within six months of buying our house, the river flooded that "once in a hundred years" flood and almost wiped out our parcela. It was a terrible mess but after almost a year of work, we are gradually getting it back to some semblance of its former beauty. In fact, one of our friends encouragingly told us recently that it may even end up being better than before. We have a ways to go on that score !!! And what a learning curve it has been ... now there's a whole new vocab that I never expected to need, let alone use; I can now converse reasonably coherently about retroexcavadores and motosierras etc. But not for a moment do we regret our impulsive purchase. Our summers pass happily with visits from friends who are escaping the northern hemisphere winters ... and we are delighted for their company. In the winter, we return to the north for a bit of sun and - oh joy of joys, home internet, home phones and daily newspapers - (we truly do live out in the sticks here in Chile). We feel as though we are leading lives that are doubly enriched. And, Yes, we know ... we are indeed very fortunate to have this opportunity.

Thank you for this very helpful forum. It certainly helps to answer a lot of questions that we have about life here ... when we have access to the Internet, that is !!!

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: Happily settled in Region VII

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Chile was waiting for you. You will go far in your quest for happiness and live long and prosper! That's the correct attitude to have...I wish you well!

Vicki

admin
Site Admin

Re: Happily settled in Region VII

Post by admin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:29 pm

Search the forum, I bet there is a thread somewhere with a solution to your Internet access problem. At least some ideas.

Then also, there is something to be said for not over-complicating your life with Internet.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.