Welcome! ALL USERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

aaron_spcr

Re: Welcome! ALL USERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Post by aaron_spcr » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. Originally from Southern Indiana, living in Concepcion, and looking to make work contacts. My work back ground is in Hazardous Waste Remediation with Environmental Consulting Firms, Ground Water Studies, and Gas Desorption sampling for Natural Gas exploration. Natural Gas exploration is what brought me down to Chile for the first time almost 2 years ago to the day. While working on the project, I ended up hitting it off with the translator. She came to visit me in the states for 6 months last year and now I am down here visiting her. Thanks for the forum and and a way to connect with other English speaking Gringos!

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi! This site is great! I'm looking into being a missionary in Chile. I know I am going to get a lot of help from this site. Thanks so much! -Anthony :D

aaron_spcr

Post by aaron_spcr » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Hello,

My first trip to Chile was almost exactly two years ago as a consultant on a natural gas exploration project. We were located in Arauco, 8th Region. I was only given three days notice that I was going to Chile and did not speak a word of Spanish at the time. I was only supposed to be here for 3 weeks but ended up staying until the project finished 3 months later. Working on the project was more like a dream than a job and I vowed to come back and learn Spanish. I have been back down here since the beginning of August and just recently found this forum. Currently, I am trying to find contacts for work in Environmental Consulting, Ground Water Hydrology, or even just teaching English to fund learning Spanish and gaining more international experience. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently living in Concepcion.

Regards,

Aaron Spicer

sputnic1

Post by sputnic1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:55 pm

OK. I'm posting. My family and I are trying to figure out everything we need to do to be prepared for our move to Chile in the upcoming months. I'm currently researching visas, which is best, etc. I'm opening up a business so I'm a bit unsure how to choose. I believe the temporary Resident visa is best, but I've heard that is a bit challenging to get. I am a professional and have read that may be enough. I've visiting the Chile Consulate in Chicago next month to verify.

I've also read it's best to apply in Chile vs. in the US as the Chile Consulate workers in the US don't understand the paperwork. Anyone's help would be appreciated. Oh, my wife does freelance writing, editing, etc. from home. Will she still be able to do that in Chile if she comes over as a spouse of the person applying for a temp. resident visa? Thanks.

pepeschile

Post by pepeschile » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Just wanted to introduce myself.

I've loved Chile since I first landed there back in 1995 as a missionary. Chile is an amazing country of spectacular natural beauty and the people are wonderfully friendly.

They have a famous song in Chile, "Si Vas Para Chile" with a line:
"y verás como quieren en Chile
al amigo, cuando es forastero"

Which roughly translates to:
And you'll see how in Chile they love
the friend, when he is a visitor

I loved Chile so much after returning home that I started a website about it that just celebrated 11 years online. I still love helping others going to Chile and learning more about this great country myself.

I look forward to the discussion here.

Pepe
¡Vamos Chile! ¡Sí se puede!

Pepe's Chile: www.joeskitchen.com/chile

RWS

Post by RWS » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:54 pm

It's good to see you here, "Pepe". And I'll look forward to viewing your website, once you've written enough here to be allowed to post the URL.

genasuarez

Post by genasuarez » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:14 pm

We are Paul and Gena Suarez, publishers of a homeschooling magazine in the US. Very interested in pursuing a move to Chile with our six kids. Hopefully by 2011. We have been reading these threads with great interest; you all have a world of knowledge.

chicagogringo

Post by chicagogringo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Hello, I registered here in hopes that someone can help me, the name tells all... I will post in the approporiate place.

Thanks

slstrauss

Hi I'm new here!

Post by slstrauss » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:31 pm

I just want to say thank you for striving to keep this board on track. We are not in Chile - yet. But are making our plans. All this information is a little overwhelming right now....but I know it will be unbelievably helpful. I'm trying to figure out how to absorb all this info. There is so much here.

Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm

We aim to please.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

poppadon

Post by poppadon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Hello,
I am new to this forum, having just registered moments ago. I am presently retired (1 yr. ago) and living in Western Canada. I tried last year to relocate permanently to Mexico but due to personal reasons that did not happen. Since then I have come to realize that Mexico may no longer be an option for me. I am single now and looking for a new place to retire to on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. Now I am seriously considering settling in Chile. I am interested in living in the Gorbea area or thereabouts. Preferably a little closer to the coast though. My mother's family emigrated to Canada many many years ago from Portezuelo, Chile.
I look forward to reading all your posts here and learning, as I go along, as much about retirement in Chile as I can. My son and my Mexican daughter-in-law are doing their best to teach me Spanish as I have forgotten most of what I had learned last year. I have retained a fair bit of the French I grew up with but the Spanish I learned as a child at the foot of my old Chilean grandmother has long since left me. Never too late though!
Till the next time...................poppadon

berserker59

Post by berserker59 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Hey everybody!

I'm knew to the site and was just browsing for some information about living in Chile. I'll be studying at the U of Santiago for a year starting in fall. I'll comb through the site but if anyone can point me in the direction of entertaining travel books, I would be grateful.