Welcome! ALL USERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

PenquistaDeCorazon

Re: Welcome! ALL USERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Even Crazier..... I am in Moose Jaw.

Aedmunds

Post by Aedmunds » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:02 am

Jeez, Saskatchewan is really starting to hit the international stage!

California South

Post by California South » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Married to a Canuck myself (I'm American) and we are pulling up stakes in radiated SoCal and moving to Santiago in about a month. Thank you Spencer Global for this forum - it has been invaluable in our research. I particularly enjoy the... um... eccentric "regulars". Great diversity of minds.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

ddahlberg1005

Post by ddahlberg1005 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:41 am

Have been in Santiago for a month now; am teaching Business English. Am thinking about going down south to teach when my contract is up here, in Oct.. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for me? Thanks for your help. Diane

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 pm

Dianne-Unfortunately, Santiago is the ombligo of Chile, the rest of the cities in Chile are dwarfed in comparison. If you want to teach English, it maybe very difficult. Maybe Concepcion?

miked

Post by miked » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:32 pm

New to forum and joined after reading some interesting comments on the Gov't changes to foreign land ownership in Argentina. I just returned from a visit to Mendoza as I'm considering the purchase of a managed vineyard. The more I learn the more interesting Chile becomes, especially after meeting 3 Chilean businessmen on a flight from Mendoza to Santiago on my way back to the States. They were frustrated by the system and business practices they encountered.I've been unsuccessful so far to find any of the rapidly growing boutique vineyards which are prevalent in the Valle de Uco area of Mendoza. Generally 2-10 hectares and part of a cooperative, sharing an Agronomist, Enologist, and management. Can anyone point me in the right direction for equivalents in Chile?
Also, are my impressions that Chile is a safer, more stable, and gov't friendly choice for an ex-pat?

Thanks, Mike

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:43 pm

The boutique winery is a new movement in Chile, hundreds of growers have small vineyards, some very old, that they sell the grapes to both large and small wineries, grape are very much a commodity. Here is the website to contact the MOVI group of independent small wine producers, it is mostly a marketing arm but will lead you to some of the producers you can talk to.

http://www.movi.cl/chile/
It's all about the wine.

miked

Post by miked » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Thank you!

incorrigible

Post by incorrigible » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Hello! Another newbie here. I'm a ghost writer (that means I write things for better known authors. They buy the rights to my work and publish what is now their work, under their names). I've been lurking here for months. I have a deal in the works for some work in Chile. It's looking like a pretty sure thing right now, but I probably won't have a signed contract for another 6 months - 1 year.

I'll be coming down from the US with my husband, children, and pets. I have a 12yr old son, 10yr old daughter, a cat and a dog. We'll be in Chile for a couple years for this series of assignments. We'll probably just land in Santiago for a month or so at first, then leap frog our way south and land as far south as we will be comfortable for the last year - 18months. Most of what I'll need is in southern Chile and Patagonia. We love the cold, though, and hate hot weather...so it works for us. lol The kids homeschool, and we've already made friends in Chile's homeschool community....plus we have several friends that either live in Chile or travel there often. I'm a research hound, though, and like to know just about everything about a location before I get there...so I can just focus on the experience once I'm in it. ;) I don't know if I'll be posting much because I'm not coming from a place of real knowledge about Chile, and most any question I could have has already been answered somewhere. lol But, hello, and thanks for having me.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi Incorrigible... sounds like you have some interesting assignments ahead. Maybe, in the course of time, you could post some links to your work? Or, if that's not possible, maybe you could recommend work that is not actually yours but still an interesting read? :wink:

No idea what kind of assignments you're on, but if your Spanish is up to it I think you can find a lot of background in the south of Chile by talking to people... perhaps not as stylized as the Irish seanchaí, but older generations certainly have stories (we used to have a storyteller in the forum, El Puelche, but he's abandoned us..). Remember, in Chile the south is where the strangeness comes from :)
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

incorrigible

Post by incorrigible » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the info. =D I don't have a lot of specifics yet...and don't usually get a lot of details up front on these kind of contracts, actually. What I'll get is a contract for a "minimum of x words per month at y payrate" and a title that goes with the contract. I know "ecotourism" is getting thrown around a lot, but that could mean so many things. I just finished an "RV Living" contract but am still getting sent travel writing assignments. Then, I'm forwarded assignments that are mostly of a certain type. Travel writing seems to basically pay for itself...So it's kind of like living on a giant vacation. The pay rates are enough to cover experiencing the things they want you to write about, but not much more...and it's a wicked pain to get into. I started out with a web content producer when they were a new thing (you know - associated content, examiner.com, that kind of thing), and was recruited off that site. I don't know how one would go about starting fresh now...with 15yrs professional xp, and decent connections...I'm considered lucky to come up with paying work in the field. Everyone that pays is going out of business, and professionals from other fields are writing for free to advertise themselves all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if this is my last contract, actually. I have other skills, though, and am getting restless for something new anyway. =)

My Spanish is horrible right now, but comes back to me when I'm immersed. I spent a lot of time in Mexico and Central America as a kid and was translating for missionary programs by the time I was a teen. It takes about 6 months of not using it to almost completely forget it, but it's always come back to me when I needed it. If push comes to shove, my husband speaks German (which I understand may be helpful at times) and I've got the whole family rocking the Rosetta Stone program. =D I've spent time in countries when I didn't speak a word of the language and gotten by just fine, though. I'm smart about my limitations in specific situations, so I don't often end up in catastrophic conditions.

incorrigible

Post by incorrigible » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:57 pm

awesome...that should make for some really interesting pieces...lol