Welcome! ALL USERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Welcome! ALL USERS PLEASE READ THIS!

Post by admin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:24 am

Greetings,

First, please at least post once to get counted, and make sure that your account is not viewed as spam by the system.

We decided to put together a forum to give the Gringos, Expatriates, and generally anyone else that wants to participate a proper home to discuss the issues of Chile and exchange information to help the English speaking World get to know Chile better.

All are welcome!

Much of this forum was once part of the forum at allsouthernchile.com. For those users, welcome, and sorry about the mess. We hope by covering all of Chile in one place to make this a more inclusive and usefull community.

The rules for the forum are simple. Just behave.

For those looking to gain links for your website or biz, you will have to earn it. You must make 50 post before you will be allowed to have signature file with a link in it, and 10 post before you can have a link in your profile. Otherwise promotional links will be deleted. We want to keep this forum as Spam free as possible. Any links in a post, need to be kept on the topic and be of use.

Please read this thread also for rules and guidelines for linking on http://www.allchile.net:
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/viewtopic.php?t=724

Other than that, have fun. Please let us know what you would like this forum to become. We are open to ideas. At this point the forums and catagories will be reworked and moved around to better fit the needs of the community.

Best,
Charles Spencer
editor < NO EMAIL > allchile.net
ALL CHILE NETWORK ADMIN 8)

passport

Post by passport » Tue May 29, 2007 12:25 pm

How about resetting the clock to accurately reflect Chilean time of posts?

admin
Site Admin

time changed

Post by admin » Tue May 29, 2007 11:19 pm

You got it, I changed the time.

admin
Site Admin

now

Post by admin » Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 pm

Now, I think I got it right

admin
Site Admin

test

Post by admin » Tue May 29, 2007 11:23 pm

testing time

admin
Site Admin

problems

Post by admin » Tue May 29, 2007 11:26 pm

I guess that is not as easy as it seems. The problem is that my servers are located in the United States. The system seems to be having trouble doing the conversion the way it should. I am going to have to look in to this more.

passport

Post by passport » Wed May 30, 2007 12:15 am

Well it is not the most important thing and it looks like you have plenty to do as it is

passport

Post by passport » Wed May 30, 2007 1:36 am

there's pills for that

beautiful baby

Hello all!

Post by beautiful baby » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:14 am

First I would like to commend you Charles for setting a high moral standard for this forum, usually I don't read them because they are so full of rubbish and smut. Congradulations! In saying this I was getting rather desperate to get any info on Chile, hence I gave it a go and have been really pleased that everyone has been trying to keep it clean. :D

I noticed you have had a bit of info on Jon Steele. We paid for his ebook but it never arrived and no emails either so we ask who ever his third party is to refund our money immediately. We are still waiting for that. :D

Anyway live and learn. I wished we found this forum before hand. :roll:

I noticed a bit of info on the cost of living, which I suppose everyone asks you, but is it possible to manage on what I reckon would be about $900 US a month or will I have to have cold showers for the rest of my life. Two adults 2 children in modest accommodation? More than likely Santiago or out burbs?

Is it possible to manage without a car, is there enough transport to cater for the lack of a car? And what would it cost per/week to use it for everyday stuff?

When renting an apartment can all of utilities be part of the deal?

Don't worry I have plenty more to ask yet, but I don't want to bombard you with too much. :lol:

Would appreciate any thoughts.

ALL CHILE NETWORK ADMIN 8)[/quote]

G

Jon's book

Post by G » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:30 am

Hi beautiful baby,

Being in route, and not in country, means I am no expert on the majority of your question. That being said, I had similar experience with Mr. Steele's e-book, which some on the site say exists, though I have my doubts. We bought it in the same time frame as you did. I did get e-mails from him, after requesting him to send the book. After a couple of times, he wrote back and said he never got the funds (I used Paypal.) He said he didn't have Paypal, and that his payment processor said that my transaction looked fraudulent. To his credit, he advised that his system/server had been hacked, and he may be playing catchup.
After a couple more emails, we upped the ante, and got Paypal to go after RegSoft, his e-book distributor, and about a month later, we had the money back in our account.
Reading on some of the back posts, his book seems to be a bit limited to Santiago. Others said it seemed to be advocating tax avoidance strategies that may land one in some tax trouble.
Do continue to make efforts with your credit card company or whatever payment method you used to get your funds fully refunded.
Hope all is well, and your move is smooth, and your feathers unruffled.

Final thought, in September 28 or 25th, a book that might be better and help you out is coming out, called "Culture Shock: Chile" The former edition is well sought out and recommended, or so say the reviews. The updated version is likely to be an excellent read. Also, consider the book, "Journey in a Thin Country." I understand it to be a single womans travel throughout Chile. My Significant Wife says the book you would benefit from that she has read is "Insight Guides: Chile and Easter Island," if you were moving to a big city. If you are moving out to the coast or elsewhere, she thinks "Lonely Planets: Chile" is a great guide to smaller towns and outlying areas. She's read most of the tour guides and such, and says they're all different.

Ciao. G

PaolaB

Hello from Patiperro

Post by PaolaB » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 am

Hi PaolaB here, noticed there was another Paola from Australia (thinking I am original!) Alas no... so maybe you can just call me patiperro. Like the name suggests love to travel and absorb new cultures. Born in Vina, raised in Melbourne, lived in Switzerland/France. Now residing in Sydney with my German husband. English is the common language. Looking for advice on selling property in Chillan.

You see my folks live there and they want to move up to the 5th Region back to the coast.

any tips on where to publish their house/land for sale? Great place BTW, visited a few years back, will sadly miss those yummy strawberries and rasberries..

Fishboy

Hola from Belfast

Post by Fishboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi folks

I've been lurking on the board for a while now and thought it was time to make the jump.

Why am I interested in Chile? Well, my polola is a lovely Chilena from Antofagasta who was working at my lab in Germany.
She has since gone home and I have moved to Belfast.
I made a 6 week visit to Chile over Christmas and am now getting itchy feet and debating whether to make the move....

All the best
FB