Path to become a naturalized Chilean citizen and get a Chilean Passport

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Neo96

Path to become a naturalized Chilean citizen and get a Chilean Passport

Post by Neo96 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a U.S. citizen looking to become a naturalized citizen of Chile so I can get the Chilean passport and have Chile as a potential base. I am white (only mentioning this because I see Chile is mostly white people and hear it can be racist towards people that aren't white so maybe this might make getting naturalized easier because I'm more likely to blend in with the majority of Chileans. I'm not really sure if ethnicity and my USA citizenship will make it easier or have any effect on my likelihood of becoming naturalized) and I'm pretty fluent in Spanish.

I currently have no ties or connections to Chile but plan to move there for at least 9 months to a year for the 1 year temporary visa. I'm a B2B writer with clients in the USA so I plan on working remotely in Chile and showing that I can financially support myself without getting any work in Chile so I won't be posing any threat to Chilean workers or their economy since I will only be spending money in Chile, not taking any jobs that could have been done by Chileans.

I have scoured the internet reading everything I can find about Chile and see that I need to have 5 years of continuous residence in Chile to be able to apply for Chilean naturalization.
1) Can the 1 year of temporary residence Visa count towards the 5 years needed for naturalization if I immediately apply for and become a permanent resident after my first year of temporary residency??
2) So can I become a 1 year temporary resident and immediately follow it with 4 years of permanent residency to get to the 5 years of continuous residence requirement? Or does the 1 year temporary residence not count towards the 5 years of continuous residence needed for citizenship?

3) Once permanent residence is established....one has to be in Chile for at least 1 day a year...is this still the law?

I do plan on establishing connections and legitimate ties to Chile. Once I have permanent residence in Chile I plan to come at least once a week ever year and possibly live there for some months out of the year.

4) Also, what are the naturalization acceptance rates if I meet all the requirements? ....is it pretty much guaranteed? I'm expecting this whole process of becoming a Chilean citizen and getting a Chilean passport to take around 6-7 years in total...
5) ...does that sound accurate to those that have done it or know others whom have went through this process?

6) What is the probability that Chile will make significant changes to this naturalization process within the next 6 or 7 years?

7) Would I be liable to pay Chilean tax throughout my permanent residency years even if i am only physically present in Chile for a week per year? Or what if I was there for a few months a year during my permanent residency....would I be liable to pay Chilean taxes even if I had no business or clients in Chile?

GAminer

Re: Path to become a naturalized Chilean citizen and get a Chilean Passport

Post by GAminer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:34 pm

sure, some chileans are white

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:44 pm

JaJa, you should check out Estación Central, Quilicura, Lo Espejo, Anto and other parts.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm

Neo96 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm a U.S. citizen looking to become a naturalized citizen of Chile so I can get the Chilean passport and have Chile as a potential base.
Why Chile? Why not Ivory Coast, Mexico, Australia?

Neo96

Post by Neo96 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 am

vamoschile wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm
Neo96 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm a U.S. citizen looking to become a naturalized citizen of Chile so I can get the Chilean passport and have Chile as a potential base.
Because Chile seems to have pretty nice vibe with nice people and is in a good time zone, great nature attractions, allows unlimited other citizenships, doesn't have a super strict physical presence test for citizenship, and has a great passport...which is important to allow me to be in a good position to renounce my U.S. citizenship should I choose to do so.

I'm already living in Colombia now but I don't want to become a Colombian citizen....halfway decent travel document but the country still doesn't have that good of a reputation internationally and it isn't all that safe here.

mt208

Post by mt208 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 am

1. Yes it counts, so 1 year of temporary residence + 4 years of permanent residence

2. As long as your permanent residence is approved on the basis of that temporary residence, it counts. "cinco años o mas (a contar desde el estampado de la visa que dio origen a la Permanencia Definitiva que mantiene vigente)" from the extranjería site.

3.You only need to be in Chile for 1 day/year to maintain the validity of your permanent residence; however, when you apply for nacionalización, they want to see you having more ties with Chile (some people say 185 days/year is required, some people say properties in Chile or family member from Chile is enough, the law only says "5 years of continuous residence"). This is the part that proves the ambiguity of the Chilean laws, which can work in your favor or against you, unlike the clearly stated "xxx days/year for x years" in many other north american and european countries. (I'm on the same boat, I'm studying in overseas, but visited Chile frequently on holidays, so hopefully this can justify my prolonged absence during nacionalizacion process.)

4. 5. Some people get it in 8 months after submitting the application, and up to 3 years for others. With some research on twitter, you can see many people ask extranjería for their nacionalización applications lodged 3 years ago. My permanent residence was approved within 6 months, and it was made available to pick up after another 2 months, while many other people at that time faced delay for 10 - 14 months. I think it's largely due to all my documents were in perfect order, and I have property in Chile (I'm not white, nor do I hold "first tier passport").

6. They are changing the constitution, and I think the nationality law is written in the constitution, so there is a chance that they will change the nacionalización process. However, I doubt the number of years would increase, but maybe the ambiguous part of "5 years of continuous residence" would be more clarified.

7.I'm trying to sort out the tax problems as well, as far as I know, you must pay taxes for income generated in Chile. And for the first 3 years of residency, you don't have to pay tax on your worldwide income. After that, you have to pay taxes on all your income to Chile(exemptions for double taxation). However, depending on how you are gonna apply for nacionalización, it's best if you pay taxes to Chilean government even if you can avoid doing so, as you have to submit your annual income declaration(declaración de renta anual) to the extranjería.

It's all from personal experiences, they are not expert advice.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 am

o.k., I am not going to get on to all of this, but a couple points.

owning real estate in Chile has ZERO relevance for citizenship or immigration. Does not hurt, but is not required nor does it "guarantee" you get citizenship. We have plenty of successful aplications for citizenship for people that owned nothing in Chile.

The requirement to have substantial connections to the country is specifically to stop "passport shopping". Too many people thought they could get citizenship simply by maintaining residency without ever living in Chile or having anything to do with Chile. It just became a cat call for human trafficking.

residency and citizenship application times and process are completely different. chief among them, the president has to sign the citizenship certificate. Never a high priority for any president. we often see citizenship otherwise approved, but the wait for the final signature from the president takes a year or two.

and, everything could change if they write a new constitution.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Neo96

Post by Neo96 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 am
o.k., I am not going to get on to all of this, but a couple points.

owning real estate in Chile has ZERO relevance for citizenship or immigration. Does not hurt, but is not required nor does it "guarantee" you get citizenship. We have plenty of successful aplications for citizenship for people that owned nothing in Chile.

The requirement to have substantial connections to the country is specifically to stop "passport shopping". Too many people thought they could get citizenship simply by maintaining residency without ever living in Chile or having anything to do with Chile. It just became a cat call for human trafficking.

residency and citizenship application times and process are completely different. chief among them, the president has to sign the citizenship certificate. Never a high priority for any president. we often see citizenship otherwise approved, but the wait for the final signature from the president takes a year or two.

and, everything could change if they write a new constitution.
So it appears I will need to spend at least a couple months in Chile every year and prove that I'm woven into and integrated into Chilean society....maybe such as join and participate in some local Chilean groups, become 100% fluent in Spanish (I'm already around 80% so that shouldn't be any problem), maybe volunteer to help out some local projects, have Chilean friends, and open a bank account there etc.

Wow the president has to sign the citizenship certificate...I might have to rub elbows with some friends of the president or perhaps with the president himself. XD

How long does it usually take to get the passport in hand after receiving the naturalization certificate?

Neo96

Post by Neo96 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:45 pm

mt208 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 am
1. Yes it counts, so 1 year of temporary residence + 4 years of permanent residence

2. As long as your permanent residence is approved on the basis of that temporary residence, it counts. "cinco años o mas (a contar desde el estampado de la visa que dio origen a la Permanencia Definitiva que mantiene vigente)" from the extranjería site.

3.You only need to be in Chile for 1 day/year to maintain the validity of your permanent residence; however, when you apply for nacionalización, they want to see you having more ties with Chile (some people say 185 days/year is required, some people say properties in Chile or family member from Chile is enough, the law only says "5 years of continuous residence"). This is the part that proves the ambiguity of the Chilean laws, which can work in your favor or against you, unlike the clearly stated "xxx days/year for x years" in many other north american and european countries. (I'm on the same boat, I'm studying in overseas, but visited Chile frequently on holidays, so hopefully this can justify my prolonged absence during nacionalizacion process.)

4. 5. Some people get it in 8 months after submitting the application, and up to 3 years for others. With some research on twitter, you can see many people ask extranjería for their nacionalización applications lodged 3 years ago. My permanent residence was approved within 6 months, and it was made available to pick up after another 2 months, while many other people at that time faced delay for 10 - 14 months. I think it's largely due to all my documents were in perfect order, and I have property in Chile (I'm not white, nor do I hold "first tier passport").

6. They are changing the constitution, and I think the nationality law is written in the constitution, so there is a chance that they will change the nacionalización process. However, I doubt the number of years would increase, but maybe the ambiguous part of "5 years of continuous residence" would be more clarified.

7.I'm trying to sort out the tax problems as well, as far as I know, you must pay taxes for income generated in Chile. And for the first 3 years of residency, you don't have to pay tax on your worldwide income. After that, you have to pay taxes on all your income to Chile(exemptions for double taxation). However, depending on how you are gonna apply for nacionalización, it's best if you pay taxes to Chilean government even if you can avoid doing so, as you have to submit your annual income declaration(declaración de renta anual) to the extranjería.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Which country are you from and how much time have you spent in Chile? Also, how much time do you normally spend there per year? Would you say you're integrated into society enough that you can prove your connections and ties to Chile to make a good case for your future naturalization process?

Good to note that having your paperwork filled out perfectly to the "T" and in great order can potentially dramatically speed up the process.

You might find this KPMG Chile tax info useful:
https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2 ... e-tax.html

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:47 am

Neo96 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 am
vamoschile wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm
Neo96 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Because Chile seems to have pretty nice vibe with nice people and is in a good time zone, great nature attractions, allows unlimited other citizenships, doesn't have a super strict physical presence test for citizenship, and has a great passport...which is important to allow me to be in a good position to renounce my U.S. citizenship should I choose to do so.

I'm already living in Colombia now but I don't want to become a Colombian citizen....halfway decent travel document but the country still doesn't have that good of a reputation internationally and it isn't all that safe here.
I don't think you get that Chile will require you to have significant ties in Chile before they give Citizenship. You also need to understand that lots of people want to come to Chile and in my opinion you will see a large clamp down on ties to Chile before they grant citizenship. You have to think most of the immigrants that have come to Chile have come in the last 5-7 years and they can almost qualify for citizenship which in my opinion will cause a lock down on who qualifies because before this large influx of immigrants Chile might have been naturalizing at max 1000 people a year but probably closer to 100 people a year. FYI There are roughly 1+ million foreign born people living in Chile right now.

mt208

Post by mt208 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:54 am

Neo96 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:45 pm
mt208 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 am

Thanks for sharing your experience. Which country are you from and how much time have you spent in Chile? Also, how much time do you normally spend there per year? Would you say you're integrated into society enough that you can prove your connections and ties to Chile to make a good case for your future naturalization process?

Good to note that having your paperwork filled out perfectly to the "T" and in great order can potentially dramatically speed up the process.

You might find this KPMG Chile tax info useful:
https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2 ... e-tax.html
Thanks for the tax info. I'm from China, I spent probably a month in Chile the year after I got permanent residence, I flied to there whenever I get holiday, but none this year(I had my ticket reserved, but due to covid19 and quarantine, my flight was canceled and I got a prórroga in the consulate.). I would say I do have some connections with Chile, in terms of friends, property and tax; and I was in a relationship with a chilean for over a year. However, I don't think they can deny an application based on "lack of substantial connection" or "spent less than xxx days/year", as it's not written in law and could be easily challenged; but they can definitely just not process your application, no approval nor denial, pretty typical bureaucratic practice, so it pretty much depends on the person who's handling your case.

As much as I know, the president wouldn't look into the details of the application, the ministerio de interior processes and approves your application, then the president just has to sign them. But normally, the sign of your application being approved is the "orden de pago", once it's paid, you only need to wait for the president to sign the carta, which is the probably most time consuming part of the whole process

RocketRichard

Post by RocketRichard » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 am

When I applied for Chilean citizenship, it was pretty straightforward. However, I was told to have patience once the paperwork was in process. They weren´t kidding...its been more than 3.5 years now and still waiting for the notification that it has been approved.