CRAZY PHONE CALLS, and THE CHILEAN MAIL

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: CRAZY PHONE CALLS, and THE CHILEAN MAIL

Post by admin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:19 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:28 pm
admin wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:59 pm
There is one sub-catagory, of that category, that sort of makes sense: big multinational companies. More than once, we have been hired by companies to do something, they paid, and then we never hear back from them. So, we try to contact them. We finally get in touch with someone. They tell us the guy or whomever was fired, quit, moved, something. I am like o.k., "we would like refund your money or at least complete the work we were hired to do, who is in charge of that now"?

Guess what they say?

The people we get in touch with, often want nothing to do with it. They are like, "sorry, that was his or her problem, and I am not taking responsibility for that project or that money".
To be fair, they're absolutely right in the sense that they're covering their own asses. The person immediately above the person that got fired/left was the one that should've contacted you to get the funds back. If they didn't (and the amount wasn't small enough to be written off), you most likely don't want them as clients.

More on topic, is there any common theme on the calls regarding Correos de Chile? I mean, there must be a reason for them to be calling you about them.
my theory is that is immigrants using mail to send cash, but just a guess.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:44 pm

Wait, what? Are they American immigrants? Because I really can't fathom anyone else who still mails money orders or checks around. Seriously, anyone from Latin America should know better about how unreliable mail can be.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 pm

I just realized today I have one more good story, of "crazy calls"; however, given the context, was not so crazy. more like crazy for the right reasons.

It also might be the saddest and most heartbreaking of calls I have ever answered; and I answer a lot of calls from families that have just had someone die and they need us to handle the estate.

Think this was about 8 years ago, perhaps 10 years ago. not really sure.

A guy calls me.

On the other end of the line, is a young soldier. I want to say he told me he was u.s. army, but might have been marines. He says he is calling from afganistan (country code matches).

Now, given my above history of crazy calls, this one after about a 30 second evaluation, strikes me as very, very real call.

He tells me more or less, my memory being what it is, that he is tired of this fucking shit, his 3rd tour is almost up, and wants to get as far away as he can from any possible war or conflict. he does not even want to go back to the United States (too many memories and talk about it). he wants somewhere boring, beautiful, and peaceful.

I am thinking, 'what the hell do I do with this'?

My father was a marine in WII and Korea, plus a war historian, so I have more than just a healthy apreciation for what soliders go through. Not war vet level by any stretch, but I am at least sympathetic.

I instantly get this image in my head of a tired, not even scared, but just exhausted kid, standing at one of those free army troop phones, with his rifle slung over his back, after a particularly bad day (i.e. you are calling me, after three tours of duty, something happened). perhaps that was just my imagination, but dam did his voice sure shored up my imagination.

My first instinct, was to ask him what happened, what his motives are, etc. Kind of my first move to understand what people are looking for in Chile. This is not that type of call.

I realized, after talking to him for few mins, this guy just needs to talk. he probably could have called the operator just as easily.

but, he called me, to talk about a fantasy land, a fantasy life, that was as far as possible away from his world. I bet he looked at a map, found the point as far away from afganistan as he could on it, just googled our number, and called.

so we talked. we talked about immigration. what part of Chile he might like. standard (sorry) b.s. I talk to everyone about; everything, but where he was and why he wanted to move to chile. I describe north, central, and south. I did my best to for example paint a picture of southern Chile, the central regions, the north. We talked for a good 45 mins, and he said he would be in touch in like 3 months when his tour was up.

when I hung up. I knew we lost that war.

Never heard from that kid again.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:44 pm
Wait, what? Are they American immigrants? Because I really can't fathom anyone else who still mails money orders or checks around. Seriously, anyone from Latin America should know better about how unreliable mail can be.
cash

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:03 am

admin wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
cash
Well, then they're f&*#ed. Hopefully it wasn't enough for them to set their lives back too much. In this day and age, it's at least naive to mail money, and doubly so in South America.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:05 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:03 am
admin wrote:
tiagoabner wrote:
cash
Well, then they're f&*#ed. Hopefully it wasn't enough for them to set their lives back too much. In this day and age, it's at least naive to mail money, and doubly so in South America.
well couple theories. some are just sending small amounts. they have no bank accounts, and even if they did who would say spend $50 or $100 to wire say less than a 100. better to take your chances with the mail.

other, drug dealers. they don't care if say 1 in 10 does not get through. they can send both cash and drugs, relatively risk free.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am

Chile's international criminals use the mail as well: From aduanas
Joyas, relojes, carteras, ropa, teléfonos celulares, zapatos, cámaras fotográficas y otros implementos componían el botín de una serie de chilenos que robaba en diferentes países europeos y luego enviaban lo obtenido a Chile para su reducción, mediante encomiendas rotuladas como "ayuda familiar".
They send stuff back here because there is a ready market for high-value stolen goods in Chile.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 am

admin wrote:
I just realized today I have one more good story, of "crazy calls"; however, given the context, was not so crazy. more like crazy for the right reasons.

It also might be the saddest and most heartbreaking of calls I have ever answered; and I answer a lot of calls from families that have just had someone die and they need us to handle the estate.

Think this was about 8 years ago, perhaps 10 years ago. not really sure.

A guy calls me.

On the other end of the line, is a young soldier. I want to say he told me he was u.s. army, but might have been marines. He says he is calling from afganistan (country code matches).

Now, given my above history of crazy calls, this one after about a 30 second evaluation, strikes me as very, very real call.

He tells me more or less, my memory being what it is, that he is tired of this fucking shit, his 3rd tour is almost up, and wants to get as far away as he can from any possible war or conflict. he does not even want to go back to the United States (too many memories and talk about it). he wants somewhere boring, beautiful, and peaceful.

I am thinking, 'what the hell do I do with this'?

My father was a marine in WII and Korea, plus a war historian, so I have more than just a healthy apreciation for what soliders go through. Not war vet level by any stretch, but I am at least sympathetic.

I instantly get this image in my head of a tired, not even scared, but just exhausted kid, standing at one of those free army troop phones, with his rifle slung over his back, after a particularly bad day (i.e. you are calling me, after three tours of duty, something happened). perhaps that was just my imagination, but dam did his voice sure shored up my imagination.

My first instinct, was to ask him what happened, what his motives are, etc. Kind of my first move to understand what people are looking for in Chile. This is not that type of call.

I realized, after talking to him for few mins, this guy just needs to talk. he probably could have called the operator just as easily.

but, he called me, to talk about a fantasy land, a fantasy life, that was as far as possible away from his world. I bet he looked at a map, found the point as far away from afganistan as he could on it, just googled our number, and called.

so we talked. we talked about immigration. what part of Chile he might like. standard (sorry) b.s. I talk to everyone about; everything, but where he was and why he wanted to move to chile. I describe north, central, and south. I did my best to for example paint a picture of southern Chile, the central regions, the north. We talked for a good 45 mins, and he said he would be in touch in like 3 months when his tour was up.

when I hung up. I knew we lost that war.

Never heard from that kid again.
Who knows? Maybe someday he will show up and surprise you. If not, thanks for giving him hope. Sometimes we cannot yet live the dream, the ducks are not in a row... but hope keeps us going.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Here is one to add to this list.

WE ARE NOT THE DEPARTMENT OF IMMIGRATION!!!!

Just had call number 1000+, with either a strong Caribbean or african accent, that believes we are the department of immigration.

IF YOU CAN NOT USE THE INTERNET, YOU CAN NOT MOVE TO CHILE!!!!

always, they are off hours as if they are calling from an african or middle eastern time zones.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this Correos screw-up?

Before Christmas I sent a parcel via Correos Argentina to Valdivia, it spent several weeks in Chile without any update on the Correos Chile tracker, then suddenly and for no apparent reason, it went to Viña, then back to Santiago ("Planta CEP RM"), and then the status was set to "delivered", even though the package obviously hasn't been delivered, with the delivery being signed for by Isamar Maureira, with the RUT 600503000-9.

There are a bunch of complaints on reclamos.cl regarding undelivered packages, referencing Isamar Maureira and the RUT 600503000-9; not unreasonably the affected persons allege fraud, however the RUT 600503000-9 belongs to Correos themselves, and I suspect that Isamar Maureira is a Correos employee at the RM sorting plant.

So can anyone tell me wtf is going on? Have Correos lost the package? Or did they damage the address sticker and are unable to deliver it? What can we do next? I filed a complaint and I actually have a case number, but in typical Correos style they're not going to get back to me until Feb. 19th. Has anyone come across this before? Thanks in advance!
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this Correos screw-up?

Before Christmas I sent a parcel via Correos Argentina to Valdivia, it spent several weeks in Chile without any update on the Correos Chile tracker, then suddenly and for no apparent reason, it went to Viña, then back to Santiago ("Planta CEP RM"), and then the status was set to "delivered", even though the package obviously hasn't been delivered, with the delivery being signed for by Isamar Maureira, with the RUT 600503000-9.

There are a bunch of complaints on reclamos.cl regarding undelivered packages, referencing Isamar Maureira and the RUT 600503000-9; not unreasonably the affected persons allege fraud, however the RUT 600503000-9 belongs to Correos themselves, and I suspect that Isamar Maureira is a Correos employee at the RM sorting plant.

So can anyone tell me wtf is going on? Have Correos lost the package? Or did they damage the address sticker and are unable to deliver it? What can we do next? I filed a complaint and I actually have a case number, but in typical Correos style they're not going to get back to me until Feb. 19th. Has anyone come across this before? Thanks in advance!
That might translate to "we will deliver your package after we get back from vacation".

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:50 am

After reading this article, I've come up with a pet theory to explain why the US produce so many crazies:

The medications that change who we are
He had diabetes, and he had signed up for a study to see if taking a “statin” – a kind of cholesterol-lowering drug – might help. So far, so normal. But soon after he began the treatment, his wife began to notice a sinister transformation. A previously reasonable man, he became explosively angry and – out of nowhere – developed a tendency for road rage. During one memorable episode, he warned his family to keep away, lest he put them in hospital.
We’re all familiar with the mind-bending properties of psychedelic drugs – but it turns out ordinary medications can be just as potent. From paracetamol (known as acetaminophen in the US) to antihistamines, statins, asthma medications and antidepressants, there’s emerging evidence that they can make us impulsive, angry, or restless, diminish our empathy for strangers, and even manipulate fundamental aspects of our personalities, such as how neurotic we are.
If even paracetamol's behavior-altering side affects are barely researched, imagine what less popular drugs can do.

Meanwhile, the US is one of the few countries that allow pharma ads, so Americans are spammed by the idea that taking pills make one's life better. I'd say it's a part of their culture now:

After Surgery in Germany, I Wanted Vicodin, Not Herbal Tea (disable JavaScript in your browser to avoid NYT paywall)
The anesthesiologist explained that during surgery and recovery I would be given strong painkillers, but once I got home the pain would not require narcotics. To paraphrase him, he said: “Pain is a part of life. We cannot eliminate it nor do we want to. The pain will guide you. You will know when to rest more; you will know when you are healing. If I give you Vicodin, you will no longer feel the pain, yes, but you will no longer know what your body is telling you. You might overexert yourself because you are no longer feeling the pain signals. All you need is rest. And please be careful with ibuprofen. It’s not good for your kidneys. Only take it if you must. Your body will heal itself with rest.”
I didn’t mention that I use ibuprofen like candy. Why else do they come in such jumbo sizes at American warehouse stores? Instead, I thought about his poetic explanation of pain as my guide, although his mention of “just resting” was disturbing. What exactly is resting?
I took two ibuprofens that first day. In hindsight, I didn’t need them, but I felt like I should take something.