CRAZY PHONE CALLS, and THE CHILEAN MAIL

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: CRAZY PHONE CALLS, and THE CHILEAN MAIL

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:04 pm

At this point, may I point out one thing in common all these people have: they are all Americans.

something in the water, the culture, or perhaps Americans really do need to start wearing tin foil hats, but something is doing a number on their mental health.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 pm

The vast majority of people we talk to are just fine, even if a bit colorful.

I have had hundreds of conversations over the years with people that are perhaps what I would term mildly crazy, paranoid, or just really in to conspiracy theories (hey, everyone needs a hobby); but, for the most part they are fully functional adults, not immediately a danger to themselves or others, and often their conspiracy theories are realy pretty "mainstream".

I am fine with that. in fact it is fun sometimes to go with such conversations just to see where they go. If I have a real complaint is sometimes they can get a bit repetitive and boring if they are too "mainstream"; I prefer, if I am going to have to listen to the same conspiracy theory for the 100th time, it has a new twist or new version. something.

come on? almost by definition, in many cases, to be an "expat" means you were slightly crazy to start, or at least a little diffrent; otherwise, everyone would just stay where they were born. Even if it was just a healthy case of wanderlust. you were not happy where you were at, or with your life, or whatever, and you decided to do something about it. You tried to adapted, by going somewhere else to find some greener pastures. which, is probably a good indication that you are relatively saine, but just thinking outside the box.

part of the great thing about this job is simply the diversity of interesting people we get to meet. many, if my wife and I had more time and energy, we would probably be great friends with; simply not enough hours in the day.

Just among all those people, there seems to be a fairly statistically significant number of really crazy people. being at the end of the earth in Chile, probably attracts them more than normal.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:54 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:04 pm
At this point, may I point out one thing in common all these people have: they are all Americans.
Chile attracts fruitcakes from other places as well....
Reapareció el Kaiser del perro muerto ahora el alemán intentó incendiar centro comercial en Temuco(1).jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:02 pm

So, final crazy call tail, and it involves my own case of crazy paranoia I have developed, after talking to so many crazy paranoid people over the years

One afternoon I get a call from a guy. It is just after lunch, I am kind of half falling asleep but still working.

He starts the conversation with, "Hi, I need help importing my Blackhawk helicopter to Chile".

I come fully awake, the first thing that goes through my mind is 'oooohhhh, this is going to be a juicy one'.

Over the years, I have heard all sorts of versions of the classic conspiracy theories, UN, government agencies, etc, etc, but no one has ever used the terms "Blackhawk helicopter" in a sentence. however, given the nature of the crazy calls we get, I just would not be surprised to hear someone bring it up.

well, turns out, after talking to him for a while, the guy really did have a Blackhawk helicopter and a good reason to bring it to Chile. he did not really need our help. he was a firefighter, coming down for the forest fire season. In fact, I think I seen the helicopter on the news the other day in Valparaiso fighting the fire.

If I ever get a chance to talk to him again, or perhaps he reads this, I felt I deprived him of a good chuckle over my own bit of paranoia. :alien: :shock: :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:54 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:04 pm
Chile attracts fruitcakes from other places as well....
Reapareció el Kaiser del perro muerto ahora el alemán intentó incendiar centro comercial en Temuco(1).jpg
Yea, he has been around for a while. we have had a few European and other countries crazy people, just seems the USA produces a larger volume of them.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:19 pm

I've interacted with people from all over the world, and I still think that the most crazy ones I've ever dealt with were all Americans. It may be something about the culture, but I'm not too sure about that.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:19 pm
I've interacted with people from all over the world, and I still think that the most crazy ones I've ever dealt with were all Americans. It may be something about the culture, but I'm not too sure about that.
well, there was a recent statistic floating around that something like 25% of Americans, 1 in 4, have some sort of mental illness (broadest use of the term); the healthcare system and culture does not lend itself to treating mental illness. On the one hand there is the no real public health care system, what there is often does not cover mental illness at all, when it does the pharmaceutical industry focuses on selling drugs over fixing people.

On the other hand, there is this culture of 'rugged individual' or 'individuality' that tends to cover up, or even promote mental illness as cramping an individual's "freedom" or "uniqueness".

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Every few months for a few years the phone would ring in the middle of the night, like 3am. It was always the same old lady looking for her daughter. When told she had the wrong number she would insist that I was her daughter and did not want to speak to her. Nothing would dissuade her. So I tried saying the daughter was away and would call her back. Never worked. I was hiding her daughter from her. I even tried "being" the daughter and saying I would call her back. This would produce a lot of anger about what a bad daughter I was. I think she was phoning from either a care home or a mental hospital. It finally stopped.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:02 pm

Great stories admin. Being an expat in Chile requires thinking outside the box. Some are way outside the box, outside the galaxy. Agree with your theory on insanity in the US, I mean look at their orange president with his illegal alien wife, cracking down on immigration. I will not take a flight if it has a stopover in the US. Way too insane.

pssst admin, you are just as crazy as the rest of us thinkers outside the box. :lol:

mem

Post by mem » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 am

Good grief...that is a whole lotta crazy. Pretty sure you have met your lifetime quota!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:58 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:02 pm
Great stories admin.

pssst admin, you are just as crazy as the rest of us thinkers outside the box. :lol:
oh, most definitely.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:28 pm

Great stories......if not also a bit sad and disturbing.