September 18th warning

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: September 18th warning

Post by admin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:16 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 pm
Do you guys have any recommendations for places to go or things to do around Santiago during the holidays? I'll be around for the 18th for the first time, and I wanted to see if there's anything worth doing or going to.
yea, leave. :lol:

actually, we use to go up to Santiago every year when the family was there (now they all come south). I always thought Santiago was at its best, minus several million residents, and the remaining residents all in a good mood. little smog, little traffic and noise.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 pm

FYI, happy 18th to all forum members and their families.

just in case, we get too carried away with the party.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:42 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:16 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Do you guys have any recommendations for places to go or things to do around Santiago during the holidays? I'll be around for the 18th for the first time, and I wanted to see if there's anything worth doing or going to.

actually, we use to go up to Santiago every year when the family was there (now they all come south). I always thought Santiago was at its best, minus several million residents, and the remaining residents all in a good mood. little smog, little traffic and noise.
Leaving would be my first choice, but it's business as usual over the week in the US, so going anywhere would mean not having my office to work on. Certainly a minor inconvenience only, but I also thought I might go to the festivities just for once.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:48 pm

the 18th, A.K.A., "felice quiltro week", due to all the asados run by a bunch of drunks that tend to drop lots of extras on the ground for the dogs.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Happy 18th week all,

Got 5 liters of chicha and 2 liters of pipeño for terremotos all from the south and much much more for our small family celebration.

Next days will be making kick ass empanadas de pino from scratch to be fried or baked, marinating the costillar for the plancha and oven, prepping cuts of Chilean carnicero asado for the plancha along with the local longaniza. Of course the requisite Chilean salad with local feria tomatos, onions and cilantro and also a potato dish or two for sure and barrio marraquetas for the choripan.

Salud
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:17 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:42 pm
admin wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:16 pm
tiagoabner wrote:

Leaving would be my first choice, but it's business as usual over the week in the US, so going anywhere would mean not having my office to work on. Certainly a minor inconvenience only, but I also thought I might go to the festivities just for once.
hit the Fondas. almost every city or town has one. even just to see the people.

honestly i have never been to one, in all my years in chile. the family has never let me be that sober, even when there was one just down the road. might also try hitting the rodeos. they typically are a package deal in smaller towns.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 pm

U.S locked and loaded to go to war with Iran after the biggest attack on a single oil facility ever, meanwhile in Chile the news this week will lead with where's the best place to get an anicucho or what fonda has the best terremotos. 🤣🇨🇱. Its what makes Chile what it is which is kind of cool, I guess, ain't shit you can do about it anyway, might as well eat and drink for a week.
I can't decide for you. You'll have to make up your own mind.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 am

41southchile wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 pm
U.S locked and loaded to go to war with Iran after the biggest attack on a single oil facility ever, meanwhile in Chile the news this week will lead with where's the best place to get an anicucho or what fonda has the best terremotos. 🤣🇨🇱. Its what makes Chile what it is which is kind of cool, I guess, ain't shit you can do about it anyway, might as well eat and drink for a week.
It saved chile in the 2008 crisis. I was watching Lehman implode at an 18th party on TV. People were walking by me, some were professional brokers, and they just sort of took a look, shrugged, and went to get another pisco sour. It was almost two weeks later before anyone bothered to pay attention in chile. by then, the worse of it was over.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:35 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 am
41southchile wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 pm
It saved chile in the 2008 crisis. I was watching Lehman implode at an 18th party on TV. People were walking by me, some were professional brokers, and they just sort of took a look, shrugged, and went to get another pisco sour. It was almost two weeks later before anyone bothered to pay attention in chile. by then, the worse of it was over.
🤣i bet, the rest of the world could fall off into space tomorrow and no one would notice till about the 25th.
By the way its friggin freezing here today. 10 degree high but with thr wind chill its currently 5 degrees. Must be the polar vortex or whatever is going on over Antarctica at the moment . And of course Murphy being Murphy our pellet fire starter system shat itself today, so no hope of anything getting sorted for that within the next week as the bit has to come from Santiago. Warm clothes and heaters and some mulled wine to keep warm in the inside.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Oh, weird, it's sunny and comfy in Valdivia, I even was walking without a jacket.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:39 am

Space Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 pm
Oh, weird, it's sunny and comfy in Valdivia, I even was walking without a jacket.
Yeah that south west sea breeze really cools it down sometimes, you guys are more protected in Valdivia I think and it hits you as a South wind. So not coming straight off the southern Ocean.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm

oh yea, and don't forget to fly a chilean flag.

You really don't want to find out the hard way what they do to foriegners that don't fly the flag on the 18th.

:lol: :lol: :lol: