Time limitations to move container into Chile?

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Becerra65

Re: Time limitations to move container into Chile?

Post by Becerra65 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Can you move a container there and receive it just with a tourist visa? I know there would be taxes to pay. If you have the TRV the import tax is waived on the value of the first $5,000 which if it is household goods you would say that is all the contents of the container is worth. I shipped a container to my fiance last year but need to do it again this year as I am now moving there to join him. It is my understanding that it is easier to obtain the visa first here in the US. Anyone else experience this?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Almost 10 years ago I was arrested on a drug possession charge. Part of it was dismissed and I completed a program but it still shows up as an arrest. The circumstances of this arrest don't matter except that I have never been in trouble before or since this incident.

Is this going to prevent me from getting a visa? Has anyone experienced this?
admin can chime in for your question answering. But if you get married to a Chilean things might get easier, I hope.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Hmmm.

Not advice (if you want real advice, call and pay the company below).

Given the huge backup at Extranjería, along with a change in administration, it is even more important to stick to the KISS principle.

Change your final leave the USSA date. Budget for multiple trips to Chile over the next 12 months. On the first trip, you go to Registro Civil and setup and schedule a Chile wedding. On the second trip, you get married, wait or week or two or perhaps longer to get the marriage cert and then begin the application for a marriage visa at Extranjería. On the third trip, you get your visa paperwork in order. You can then send your container.

Or if you can, remain for up to 9+ months in Chile for marriage setup, marriage, visa application, approval, final paperwork then return to States to finalize container shipment.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 pm

You refer to your partner as a Chilean resident. Do you mean citizen?

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:30 pm

My fiance/domestic partner a Chilean resident was deported after living in the US for 30+ years last June.
I would interpret her statement "Chilean resident" as, her fiancee is a Chilean citizen, No?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.