Time limitations to move container into Chile?

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

GabyMH

Time limitations to move container into Chile?

Post by GabyMH » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Me again :0)
In relationship with Chilean regulations for moving personal stuff into Chile: Let us suppose we arrive in Chile beginning of July and start process to get a visa. It may take around 6 months before we can obtain that visa and only then will we be able to move all my personal belongings from the US into Chile.
Does anybody know if Chile has any limitations as to the number of months that can pass between the moment we arrive in the country and the moment our stuff arrives in the country?
Thanks!

Gloria

Re: Time limitations to move container into Chile?

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

GabyMH

Post by GabyMH » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks for the links, Gloria! I actually checked them both before posting my question here. Not being lazy and trying to make the forum members work for me :0)
I didn't find an answer to my post on internet. There's a section specifically for foreigners who arrive in Chile with a temp visa but couldn't find anything for those who arrive as tourists, start the visa process and then want to repatriate belongings from abroad... So far what I know is that you have 120 days as of the moment you arrive in Chile to repatriate your stuff if you already have a visa on arrival. Too short a time if you consider I fly into the country say today and I get my visa only 6 months later (no removal without a visa is possible)

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:05 pm

I doubt very much you'll find answers to specific questions. I don't know if any come to Chile as a tourist bringing a container. It would be raising flags with immigration plus sounds very odd to me unless they have a link with a chilean citizen.....When you say "repatriate" you mean retrive your belongings correct?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

GabyMH

Post by GabyMH » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Gloria, what I'm saying is I arrive as a tourist (since I may not be able to get my visa at the Chilean Consulate in USA due to timing issues) and then start the process to obtain a visa once in Chile (many people suggest doing this, in fact) Obviously I wouldn't arrive as a tourist with a container :0) That's why I mentioned I'd my container dispatcheded from USA to Chile ONLY after I have a visa (approx 6 months after my arrival which goes far beyond the 120 days allowed by Chilean customs). No removal company would move a container without a visa...
This is why I was asking for advice on the forum since official internet sites only provide answers for standard cases. Mine isn't, unfortunately. Sometimes people who've gone through similar experiences have tips to share...

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:37 pm

GabyMH wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:46 pm

So far what I know is that you have 120 days as of the moment you arrive in Chile to repatriate your stuff if you already have a visa on arrival. Too short a time if you consider I fly into the country say today and I get my visa only 6 months later (no removal without a visa is possible)
When your container arrives to the port, inmediately the clock starts ticking. I wouldn't trust the so call "120 days" to retrive your stuff..afterwards the charges for "storage" begins therefore you cannot send your belongings until you have a visa stamped on your passport. Visas nowadays are taking longer than ever as I explained to you. I would suggest for you to revise your intentions of getting a Mercosur visa. For what I understand is a visa for investors, don't know much about it.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 pm

GabyMH wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 pm
Gloria, what I'm saying is I arrive as a tourist (since I may not be able to get my visa at the Chilean Consulate in USA due to timing issues) and then start the process to obtain a visa once in Chile (many people suggest doing this, in fact) Obviously I wouldn't arrive as a tourist with a container :0) That's why I mentioned I'd my container dispatcheded from USA to Chile ONLY after I have a visa (approx 6 months after my arrival which goes far beyond the 120 days allowed by Chilean customs). No removal company would move a container without a visa...
This is why I was asking for advice on the forum since official internet sites only provide answers for standard cases. Mine isn't, unfortunately. Sometimes people who've gone through similar experiences have tips to share...
The forum will only give you bits and pieces. As I told you earlier, most keep tight lip about it or not willing to help 'cause they already reached their goal.There isn't a step by step manual. Every case is different. So many things have change since I came here from the US so I'm trying to be cautious.I'm willing to help you as I have done with others so PM me if you wish.There are important thigs you need to know before taking the "plunge".

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am

Gloria wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:37 pm
I would suggest for you to revise your intentions of getting a Mercosur visa. For what I understand is a visa for investors, don't know much about it.
Very bad advice. Hope admin chimes in here.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:55 am

The clock doesn't start until you have a Visa not a tourist card.........
It's all about the wine.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am
Gloria wrote:
I would suggest for you to revise your intentions of getting a Mercosur visa. For what I understand is a visa for investors, don't know much about it.
Not admin, obviously, but I went through the Visa Mercosur procedures. This Visa is intended for Mercosur citizens and it has no financial requirement at all. You will not be asked for receipts, proof of income or anything else for your Visa Temporaria application, per the list at the extranjeria website.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 pm

I have no idea what you are asking.

Are you asking about the one time tax free import?

That has been discussed many times.

Only recent change is that immigration has colapsed in on itself, and processing time might be really long.

The clock starts when your temp residency is granted, but you can not get the benfit untill the temp residency is granted. So dont ship your container until you have your temp resodency.

You can ship before, just you then have to pay the taxes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:52 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am
Gloria wrote:
As I said earlier..." I would suggest for you to revise your intentions of getting a Mercosur visa. For what I understand is a visa for investors, don't know much about it. The sentence, don´t know much a bout it must mean something?