Homologacion de celulares

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

sookoon

Re: Homologacion de celulares

Post by sookoon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 am

I wonder if this has anything to do with Bachelet's flooding Chile with unskilled Haitians. I have received a bunch of fraudulent inquiries through my Yapo classified postings - I even got one on the phone, and was able to easily identify him as haitian. He quickly hung up.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 am

Donnybrook wrote:
It would be better if it were actually easy to register the phone. One of the items you need to provide is proof of purchase. Not every tourist can provide that. It can take 24 hours or a week or never happen. Some tourists give up and buy a local phone or just give up and curse Chile.

There are several "approved" places to do the registration and some work better than others. In theory that should make it easier. You can get approval before you set foot in Chile (ymmv) which is strange. There are long threads on tourist focussed forums full of panic.

I get the reason why they want to control the sale of illegal phones in Chile but surely they are not coming in one by one at SCL with people on tourist visas? I just think there must be a better way to handle this.
Are there any comparisons, in those forums, between Chile and other countries that have implemented the new requirement?

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 am

sookoon wrote:
I wonder if this has anything to do with Bachelet's flooding Chile with unskilled Haitians.
The problem with the traffic of stolen cell phones goes back a number of years, and I understand that other countries are more affected than Chile. Peru is one of them.

El más reciente reporte de seguridad ciudadana del Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática (INEI), correspondiente al semestre de setiembre del 2016 a febrero del 2017, indica que en la provincia de Lima la tasa de víctimas de robo de dinero, cartera o celular es de 16,5 por cada 100 habitantes. En el semestre anterior, la tasa fue menor: 15,9 víctimas por cada 100 personas.

Durante el semestre que va de setiembre del 2016 a febrero del 2017, también se registró una tasa de intento de robos de celulares, carteras y otros objetos menores de 5,8 víctimas por cada 100 habitantes.

Una muestra de esto es el cruel asalto que sufrió una menor en Los Olivos el jueves pasado. Por nerviosismo, la joven resguardó su celular entre sus brazos y el delincuente le disparó en el estómago. Hoy la víctima sigue hospitalizada.

https://elcomercio.pe/lima/seguridad/ro ... ima-425300

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:45 am

Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am

frozen-north wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 am
Are there any comparisons, in those forums, between Chile and other countries that have implemented the new requirement?
No, not so far.

That link refers to the stealing of phones not the import of stolen or illegal phones. There are already ways to register a locally bought phone here and the imei can be blocked. I have a pay as you go but still have the number and imei registered with Entel. So they are really two different problems.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 am

I have heard lots of Brazilian tourists and journalists complaining about this. They were completely unaware about this, came to the country on a Friday and left on Monday or Tuesday before getting it processed.

It is really counter-intuitive for a country that's the leading force of tourism in South America, probably getting ahead of Brazil as of last year. There's no official data yet, but Chile has estimated 6.7 million tourists in 2017, while Brazil has no estimated number and has received an inflated 6.6 million in 2016 due to the Olympics.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
No, not so far.

That link refers to the stealing of phones not the import of stolen or illegal phones. There are already ways to register a locally bought phone here and the imei can be blocked. I have a pay as you go but still have the number and imei registered with Entel. So they are really two different problems.
So, the registration problem could be similar in other countries that have implemented this requirement.

Are you referring to the link I posted in my reply to 'sookoon' ? I never said that they were the 'same' problem, but they are linked, as indicated in an earlier post, the first link I posted:
Las mafias movilizan los celulares robados entre los países de la Región

Es un negocio millonario. Mafias transnacionales que operan en la región mueven en promedio USD 550 mil diarios por la venta de celulares robados. Las organizaciones delictivas intercambian los equipos en el mercado ilícito de los países latinoamericanos.

http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/se ... aises.html

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I have a pay as you go Entel sim card on a U.S. phone . Haven't registered it and so far it still works..........maybe until it doesn't?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:06 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 pm
I have a pay as you go Entel sim card on a U.S. phone . Haven't registered it and so far it still works..........maybe until it doesn't?
A couple of people have reported this happening. Lucky you.

Family member came with an iPhone bought in the US, is on T-Mobile and said roaming charges were not high and worth paying to avoid hassle.

Info from another country below. You have 60 days to register the phone which would seem to avoid hassle for tourists in the country for a short time?
http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/ne ... fonos.html

WaterDawgHog

Post by WaterDawgHog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 am

Does a receipt from a U.S. retailer * i.e. Verizon* work for "Proof Of Purchase"?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:39 am

Another reason for blocking is the use of non-approved devices. I had a single-channel 2G GSM gateway connected to my pbx that recently stopped working. It can still send text messages though. I guess that means that all those domestic intruder alarms with cellular notification will keep on working.....

This gateway actually allows the IMEI to be changed, (carriers don't like these devices) so I might try the IMEI of my wife's old N***** dumbphone.

Like so many restrictive practices here, I guess its the level of criminal activity that cellphone use facilitates that is forcing this. Same reason that the PDI routinely monitors cellphone conversations, especially calls originating from inside the cárceles.
Après moi, le déluge

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am

WaterDawgHog wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 am
Does a receipt from a U.S. retailer * i.e. Verizon* work for "Proof Of Purchase"?
Yes.