Homologacion de celulares

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

GabyMH

Homologacion de celulares

Post by GabyMH » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi!
So far I've just asked questions in this forum and I've received helpful feedback. Time to give back! I'm sharing with you some interesting info regarding mobile phones that I've found while browsing the net... Hope it helps!
You'll find all the necessary info for the different cases in this site: www.multibanda.cl

Soy extranjero, viajo a Chile, y quiero usar mi teléfono con una SIM Card local

1.- A partir del 23 de septiembre de 2017, los extranjeros que viajen a Chile y quieran usar su teléfono u otro dispositivo móvil con una SIM Card local, deberán inscribirlos en el sistema para que pueda operar en Chile.

2.- Para ello, deberán contactar a una empresa certificadora (www.multibanda.cl).

3.- Deberá proporcionar algunos antecedentes de su viaje a Chile, así como otros datos del teléfono o dispositivo, efectuando una declaración como la que se adjunta (ver detallesOpen this document with ReadSpeaker docReader).

4.- Puede inscribir un (1) teléfono móvil gratuitamente al año. Lo anterior no es válido para los otros dispositivos.

5.- La empresa certificadora efectuará este procedimiento. Con eso el equipo quedará inscrito y lo podrá usar con las SIM Card de cualquier compañía móvil del país en las bandas que su teléfono o dispositivo soporte.

6.- No será posible asegurar que este teléfono reciba las alertas que emite el Sistema de Alerta de Emergencia (SAE) de la Oficina Nacional de Emergencias de Chile (ONEMI).

7.- No será posible asegurar que este teléfono resulte compatible con las tecnologías (2G, 3G, 4G), disponibles en las distintas compañías móviles que operan en Chile.

Nota: Si usa su teléfono sólo en la modalidad roaming, no es necesario hacer la inscripción antes mencionada.

Gloria

Re: Homologacion de celulares

Post by Gloria » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm assuming that's is just to register with the gov. for the alerts and nothing else. Most foreigners, in particular argies buy phones unlocked with dual sim card. I bought myself one of those for when I travel to the US.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

GabyMH

Post by GabyMH » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:22 pm

No, Gloria. That's not only for alerts. As of Sept 2017 there's a new regulation. All the info is on the site.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Yep. It is a new regulation. After about a month your phone will be blocked.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Got ya but you can also buy a new phone here with all the labels. I get the impression the Big Bro is trying to keep track of our lives. :D I really don't think of any other reason.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Apparently foreign phones previously used with Chile SIMs seem to be excluded from the new reg FME.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Totally nuts :roll: I don't know how this didn't get shot down in flames by the tourist industry, at least, what on earth were they thinking of...?
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm
Totally nuts :roll: I don't know how this didn't get shot down in flames by the tourist industry, at least, what on earth were they thinking of...?
It is one of those regulations which is meant to fix one thing and makes a mess of three others.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 pm

It seems to be related to the theft of cell phones.
Las mafias movilizan los celulares robados entre los países de la Región

Este Diario tuvo acceso a informes de Inteligencia de la Policía Internacional (Interpol) y allí se revela que las organizaciones trasladan los equipos vía aérea y terrestre a Perú, Colombia, Venezuela, Chile, Ecuador, Brasil, México...

Para evitar el contrabando y la sustracción de móviles, la Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones (Supertel) y las empresas telefónicas registran, desde el 12 de marzo pasado, los equipos que los usuarios ingresan al territorio.

http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/se ... aises.html

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 pm
It seems to be related to the theft of cell phones.
Las mafias movilizan los celulares robados entre los países de la Región

Este Diario tuvo acceso a informes de Inteligencia de la Policía Internacional (Interpol) y allí se revela que las organizaciones trasladan los equipos vía aérea y terrestre a Perú, Colombia, Venezuela, Chile, Ecuador, Brasil, México...

Para evitar el contrabando y la sustracción de móviles, la Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones (Supertel) y las empresas telefónicas registran, desde el 12 de marzo pasado, los equipos que los usuarios ingresan al territorio.

http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/se ... aises.html
I imagine that's the excuse, but how will "homologating" the phone in this boondoggle work any better than actually using the phone in the network, where the IMEI is known and can be compared to a blacklist during normal operation? How will "homologating" a phone brought from outside Chile prove anything about its provenance? :wink:

My understanding that stolen mobile phones are mostly dismantled and used for spare parts thanks to Apple and Samsung's find you phone functionality. And even this is becoming more difficult as the phone manufacturers ensure only approved components can be installed in the phone. This regulation is trying hamfistedly to solve a problem that is going away anyway.
Donnybrook wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm
FrankPintor wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm
It is one of those regulations which is meant to fix one thing and makes a mess of three others.
Yes, exactly... and now Chileans are allowed one new mobile phone per year? That's one sure-fire way to strangle the phone retail industry.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
I imagine that's the excuse, but how will "homologating" the phone in this boondoggle work any better than actually using the phone in the network, where the IMEI is known and can be compared to a blacklist during normal operation? How will "homologating" a phone brought from outside Chile prove anything about its provenance? :wink:
A number of countries will be creating a 'white list':

Hasta hace poco, la legislación establecía la existencia de una medida reactiva: una lista negra compuesta por los IMEI de los celulares que eran reportados como robados. No obstante, el nuevo procedimiento busca ser proactivo, de forma tal que, para que un teléfono pueda ser activado en Chile, su IMEI debe estar registrado en esta “lista blanca”.

http://pyme.emol.com/8922/nueva-normati ... r-celular/

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:45 am

It would be better if it were actually easy to register the phone. One of the items you need to provide is proof of purchase. Not every tourist can provide that. It can take 24 hours or a week or never happen. Some tourists give up and buy a local phone or just give up and curse Chile.

There are several "approved" places to do the registration and some work better than others. In theory that should make it easier. You can get approval before you set foot in Chile (ymmv) which is strange. There are long threads on tourist focussed forums full of panic.

I get the reason why they want to control the sale of illegal phones in Chile but surely they are not coming in one by one at SCL with people on tourist visas? I just think there must be a better way to handle this.