Building regulations and earthquakes

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

GabyMH

Building regulations and earthquakes

Post by GabyMH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:04 am

Hi!
This time I have a question about earthquakes and building regulations :0) I know, I know... You must be wondering: "Why move to Chile if you're scared of earthquakes?" Well, let's say we have no choice... So, can anybody give me some info regarding building regulations and things to check/take into account when buying a property in Santiago? (For safety reasons we'd prefer to live in an apartment and not a house)
Do cities run drills so that people are educated/trained when it comes to evacuations, etc?
Can you insure your property and contents as in California?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Space Cat

Re: Building regulations and earthquakes

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:22 am

Death tolls after 8+ earthquakes in Chile are significantly lower than from 6-7 ones in other countries and mostly come from tsunami.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:10 am

I have earthquake insurance with an approx $3,000 deductible on my apt and contents in Santiago and its not that expensive.

The 2010 quake did $2,500 damage...

You are pretty much on your own to learn what to do and not do.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 am

I would rather be in Chile than anywhere else in the world in an earthquake. We eat them for breakfast. You can get insurance. Evacuation would only be an issue on the coast because of tsunamis. Routes are marked. Many went to higher ground in 2010 but were then told it was safe to return just in time for the tsunamis to hit. Unfortunately there is no insurance against bad governance.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Evacuation drills are what we call earthquakes under 7.0, and lasting under 1 min. Anything above that, we call it not a drill.

Your worrying too much about the earthquakes.

I get a real kick out of people that are afraid to invest in Chile because of "earthquake risk". Got news for the world. Sell all your silicon valley and fang stocks, because they are at risk of far worse on the U.S. west coast; and, the U.S. west coast is confirmed not to be ready to handle even small earthquakes or any other form of natural disaster. How is New Orleans doing? Puerto Rico? How about all those wildfires in California? I can not believe that last week a little 4.5 off the coast of San Francisco made the international news. You can't even feel a 4.5 earthquake.

As for buying or renting, my only advice would be to buy an apartment built after 2010. Not so much that the older buildings are going to fall down, just you will often encounter cosmetic earthquake damage that was not fixed. The owners just pocketed the insurance money, or did not have insurance.

Earthquake insurance is pretty standard with any insurance policy. Really, not sure they are worth it, except for the structure. I think I had about $300 worth of damage from the 8.8 when I lived in Temuco.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:46 pm

You want to worry about something, worry about fires.

They probably kill more people in Chile, and destroy more property, than all the earthquakes put together.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GabyMH

Post by GabyMH » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for your comments!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:44 pm

One of the hassles with aftermath of severe quakes is that the electricity tends to get cut off, not necessarily due to actual infrastructure damage, but as a safety precaution. Thats not much fun if you live on the 22nd floor of a high rise, no electricity means no elevators and no water quite soon after that.

I hope people know not to use elevators in case of fires or quakes btw.
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:49 am

yea, after the 2010 quake we actually had water and electricity for many hours, then they took the national grid offline for safety and repairs. It was just sufficient to let us do things like fill the bathtub.

So, if a big one hits, and you still have water and electricity, take advantage of it while you can. Charge the cell phones, fill the tub, fill up some bottles of water, etc.