New Member Here

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Quitou

Re: New Member Here

Post by Quitou » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 am

I should have turned off my email notifications....:)

Space Cat, David_Bro, Charles, Britkid, and several others did offer great advice and I thanked them openly for it. I absolutely understand the challenges. Life is full of them. I also accept that I don't even know, how much I don't know.

Everyone overcomes challenges if they have the means and fortitude to do so. I understand Chileans are unwelcoming and unfriendly. Okay. Knowing that helps, but isn't discouraging. Parisians weren't the fuzziest people either when I moved to Paris. So the plumber in Chile won't be helpful. Okay, that too is good to know, but living in Alaska I didn't even HAVE a plumber within 200 miles.

If the challenges are: I won't get a visa, business dealings are impossible, taxes are crippling, or any other logistical road block, that's good to know. If you're telling me not to bother because people are mean -- that's a bummer, but not a deal breaker.

I guess some of you expected me to throw in the towel? I don't know. I've overcome a lot worse than nasty people with foul dispositions. Ever spent a winter in a remote village in Alaska with no daylight for four months? :)

As for Gloria, not going to go there. Gloria, I hope you find your peace.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Quitou, you said Good Bye two posts ago. But you still popping up to fuel the issue. Hope you can find good paying clients for your photography business.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm
Quitou, you said Good Bye two posts ago. But you still popping up to fuel the issue. Hope you can find good paying clients for your photography business.
I did. I popped back in specifically to thank David_Bro for taking time to answer my post with so much thoughtfulness and detail. And others. I think the information here is helpful. The interactions perhaps less so. I'll be a lurker and get what I can from a distance.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:53 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Quitou, you said Good Bye two posts ago. But you still popping up to fuel the issue.
Quitou was "fueling the issue"? Who was the one calling people 'idiots'? You have problems reading?

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Gloria wrote:
Frozen Brain, you are the one having a problem reading, so put on your glasses, focus and read!
I see you also have problems reading.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Gloria wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 pm
Frozen Brain
Kindergarten-tier name calling, yay!
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm
Victim blaming! Double yay!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Where is Px when you need him ?
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

picalena

Post by picalena » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Welcome to Chile. Here, have a
WTCHHAUJOAR.png
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Quitou wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:30 pm
Hello,

I'm new to this community and stoked to have found it. I'm a professional photographer and journalist working in a number of segments from travel writing to bicycle, motorcycle, and other industries. I do a lot of travel media work for government tourism bureaus, mostly in South and Central America. I was recently on an assignment in Patagonia and --- now I have the itch to move to Chile. My wife and I have lived in far flung corners of the globe before, so this seems doable.

I hope it works out. I'm sure the info here will be of tremendous help.

Quitiou
I have a feeling that the OP is either "el p", or "px", based on the triple "---" in the quoted post, and some other minor details. I'd happily stay corrected ---- if mistaken!

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm

I have a feeling that the OP is either "el p", or "px", based on the triple "---" in the quoted post, and some other minor details. I'd happily stay corrected ---- if mistaken!
Nope. I'm not a previous member in disguise. But, that's yet another interesting twist this thread has taken.

I'm not predisposed to anonymity. Here's a link to my recently published piece from my travels in Patagonia. Starts on page 48. That's me. Nothing to hide.

https://issuu.com/upshift/docs/upshift_ ... ry_2018/48

Quitou

Post by Quitou » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Okay, here's an odd but easy question. What is the giant rhubarb plant called locally in Chile? I know the latin name, but I didn't jot down the local name in my notebook.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Quitou wrote:
Okay, here's an odd but easy question. What is the giant rhubarb plant called locally in Chile? I know the latin name, but I didn't jot down the local name in my notebook.
Nalca ??